Yaris or Sonic

If you're comparing just this particular 2008 Yaris and 2015 Sonic, that's a pretty easy decision to me.

Which ever is in better top to bottom condition. Obviously the Toyota product is known for it's reliability, but if it's corroded and nasty in areas you can't see from the street, that reliability has little value.

Despite being older, I wouldn't let the age deter you from the Yaris.
Like someone else pointed out, it's built well to handle that sort of abuse.

Yes, consumables like shocks, tires etc. will need attention as it ages but Toyota products have a way of failing that when they do, you'll hardly notice it.
It'll continue to soldier on in a way that makes you believe it's running perfectly fine. Case in point, In my early 20's I had an 86 Nova (Corolla) with 5 speed that had completely rusted out front fenders, blown rear shocks (to the point they actually seized), bald tires and a swiss cheese exhaust system. One night I asked a female friend to drive it as she was the DD for my myself and the rest of our drunken group. At the time she only had experience driving nearly new Japanese vehicles and she too was amazed that despite it's horrific outside appearance, the car shifted, accelerated and performed perfectly.

Whereas with cars like the Sonic, you'll certainly be able to tell when something needs attention ASAP (prematurely possibly, ymmv).

I'd probably go with the sonic. 7 winters is a lot of salt around here. Wife's 1.8 sonic treated us well, but we didn't have it many years. Timing belt motor. The 1 UOA I did came back at honda levels of wear.

Having owned a 2010 yaris and driven my wifes 14 sonic, the sonic is a much nicer car to be in. Way less tinny. But that being said, the yaris is a good little car.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Was the asking price of all these cars $4000?
It's implied, but not stated.
Has the person in question driven one of each?

Yes, the asking price on both is $3999. The store where the Yaris is at is willing to deal. The lot where the Sonic is not willing to deal. My nephew has driven both, as have I, and he liked the Sonic slightly better. He did not like the Sonic's red color or the hatch style. The Yaris is a sedan. I have offered to show him the basic maintenance, and to help him out with some minor repairs if needed. He has no one else to ask or lean on when it comes to cars. At least someone who makes any sense. Since I am the "car guy" in the family, I offered to help. Just hope that this does not go south, but I made it very clear that it is his decision. Not mine. I told him last weekend that I personally would buy the Yaris. I have enough to do in my "spare time" keeping up with the car's in my signature, along with all my other interests. (On a personal note, I swore that I would never buy another GM after dealing with family owned 1996 Blazer 4.3L. that was bought new.) The timing belt on the Sonic would steer me away. I do not know, or ask, if has been done. I am a bit skeptical on GM's long term cost of ownership. So far, from this thread, I will suggest the Yaris and see what transpires.

The big 3 have NEVER learned how to build a decent sub compact. Yaris all the way...

Jaris, all day long
grin.gif

Originally Posted by I_4
My nephew has driven both, as have I, and he liked the Sonic slightly better. He did not like the Sonic's red color or the hatch style. The Yaris is a sedan. I have offered to show him the basic maintenance, and to help him out with some minor repairs if needed. The timing belt on the Sonic would steer me away.

Sonics are available mostly as a sedan, and they usually cost less than the Sonic hatchbacks (at least new they do). Yes, the 1.8L engine has a timing belt on an interference engine, but the 1.4L turbo on the Sonic has a timing chain. A fairer comparison would be a Sonic sedan with the 1.4L turbo vs the Yaris (which according to Rock Auto parts catalog also has a timing chain).

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
The Sonic is a Daewoo, I think, not a true GM.

The Sinics made until 2011 are Daewoo's made in Korea. The 2012 and newer are made in Michigan. Unlike a lot of compact cars the Sonic (and I think also that year Yaris) both have regular automatic transmissions (no CVT's or dual clutch nonsense). The Sonics still made today still have a regular automatic transmission as well, but one where you have to disassemble the transmission to change the filter (I think).

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Yaris is 12 years old now. It can last another 100k miles with proper maintenance but it will be very tired by then.

I'm not sure if Sonic is built better to justify the 7 years in age difference.

Well it really depends on how previous owner treated it... I own my Yaris for almost 2yrs now...no problem s @all...

I am assuming also that previous owner even tweaked its engine.....since I can chase basic VW 2.0TDI & BMW 1.8d drivers
smile.gif
Its really aint a borring car
smile.gif

Are there any other vehicles to consider? Yaris and Sonic are not my 1st choices nor are either one tops in their class. Perhaps you can find a better deal with a Corrolla, Civic or similar size cars? With that being said, I would chose the Sonic (because you are looking at non turbo model)for the slightly better looks and refinement over the Yaris. Stay away from the turbo Sonics - same motor as the Cruz with all the same problems. I had a Saturn Astra with that ecotec motor and it was smooth and problem free for the 88k miles I had it.

Originally Posted by dja4260
To replace the headlight on a Yaris, you need to remove the front bumper. Ask me how I know.....

Headlight assembly, or just replacing a burned out bulb?

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Are there any other vehicles to consider?

this.
o.p.'s nephew may not fully consider that total cost of ownership is more the otd price or mpg rating, add insurance, maintenance, etc, and certainly peace of mind (the first morning that a cheap car dies on you, you wake up fast). i would have him do a cars.com or autotrader or cargurus search with $4k price limit as a start, then play with the parameters. if a carmax is nearby go there and sit in some likely, unexpected model finds. old folks downsizing might have a well maintained ten year buick that is worth his $4k. buying something cheap isn't the same as an inexpensive bargain, and can turn out unexpectedly to be quite costly in the long run, as many of us know too well.

Between these two choices, I'd take the Sonic all day long.
Seven years newer with usually attentive fleet maintenance, yeah!
If these were fleet vehicles, seller should be able to supply or obtain maintenance records even though he certainly bought this job lot of Sonics at auction.

Originally Posted by dja4260
To replace the headlight on a Yaris, you need to remove the front bumper. Ask me how I know.....

Not true.... I removed my front bumper the First Time... @ second Time I didnt want to hussle anymore...and changed my both bulbs from behind....its not an easy Job...your hands are full of scratches....but its managable...

I'd trust the Yaris to hold up better at higher mileage than the Sonic but honestly I don't think I'd choose either. The price difference between a subcompact and a compact car I'd often little to nothing. I bet you could probably find an Elantra or Forte or something in that category for about the same money and condition.

For the same year and mileage, Yaris all the way. However if you can only afford the absolutely lowest price then it really depends on the condition you can get for each one. I think Yaris is a model that has been around for a while and it is sold across the world, in higher volume, and has a better reputation than Sonic.

Originally Posted by fisher83
I'd trust the Yaris to hold up better at higher mileage than the Sonic but honestly I don't think I'd choose either. The price difference between a subcompact and a compact car I'd often little to nothing. I bet you could probably find an Elantra or Forte or something in that category for about the same money and condition.

Yeah but do those cars have timing belts or chains?

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Are there any other vehicles to consider?

I would imagine that if you could find one of these, it might be pretty cheap right now:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Back