Would you change this antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2014 Ford Fusion with 28,000 miles. Unknown maintenance.

Since the car is 6 years old and maintenance is unknown, would you do a drain and fill of the antifreeze?

Don't they usually say like 100,000 miles or 5 years?

I would seriously consider it .

If feasible , drop the lower radiator hose & dump as much as will come out . Fill with the same it had in it . Guessing , around a gallon . I always purchase 100% coolant , not pre-mix .

Inspect all the hoses / belts , while you are at it .

I vote yes. Time is just as important as mileage when it comes to coolant. There are 10 year coolants out there but I prefer 5. I have a 20 year old car with the original radiator and water pump, using the 5 year strategy. Just sayin'.
smile.gif

I just dumped 5 year old coolant from my wife's S60. The mileage is only 25k. Mechanic said he had to back flush the heater core as it was starting to clog a little. As they say about PM... Pay now or pay later.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
ATF as well and brake fluid too.

Yes I have the trans fluid ready. Was thinking of brake fluid flush as well.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Leave it....28K miles is nothing. I disagree using 100% coolant.

AGE has more to do with it than mileage when it comes to coolant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister

I always purchase 100% coolant , not pre-mix .

Schmoe said:
I disagree using 100% coolant.

I think WyrTwister meant...purchase 100% coolant(and a gallon of distilled), mix your own.

I also only buy 100% coolant, then I dilute using distilled water to 50 to 60% antifreeze. It is less expensive that way.

I do partial drain and fill every presidential election year as I can not stand the commercials. I find spending time in the shop is much more relaxing. And I never forget.

Rod

I would do a drain/fill now on the coolant and also the trans fluid.
Do trans around 65k next time then trans and coolant again at 100k as long as it does not sit again.

I would get a test strip and see what the condition is. No sense throwing good antifreeze into the environment.

What does the owners manual say?

Dexcool, when it first came out was blamed for a lot of cooling system failures. People thought it would be good for 150,000 miles. They forgot about the 5 year part entirely. Time is more important than miles when it comes to coolant, particularly when all aluminum engines are involved.

The only thing that puzzles me is the 2018 Mercedes that I have. There is no recommended coolant changes out to about 10 or 12 years! (forget exactly which right now) No mileage limit involved. No mention of coolant change on the maintenance chart either, which goes past 110,000 miles.

Strange to me.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Leave it....28K miles is nothing. I disagree using 100% coolant.

While one might add 100% coolant, the final mixture in the cooling system needs to be 50/50, maybe 60/40 if in the artic.

100% coolant cools worse than the proper mixture.

Now some who have flushed several times with plain water add 100% coolant to bring the system to 50/50.

I don't run the same longlife coolant for more than 5 years. I've never had corrosion problems with any cooling system so I must be doing something right.

I'd change the coolant, brake fluid, atf, psf, diff fluid and the ptu fluid too if it has AWD. Fluids are cheap, the parts and systems they cool and lubricate rarely are. And truth is most all fluids in a vehicle degrade with just heat and time alone.

Originally Posted by JohnG
What does the owners manual say?

Initial replacement at six years or 100000 miles (160000 kilometers), then every three
years or 50000 miles (80000 kilometers).

I dont know this vehicle. It depends on the engine used. At nearly 6 years old I would change all the fluids. Brake fluid, radiator fluid, trans fluid and engine oil. Unless the original owner can demonstrate with receipts its been changed.

I thought all fluids have a miles and time requirement. Brake fluid I think is 3 years...radiator fluid is 6 years.

Also check condition of tires, hoses and belts. Automobile rubber only has a useful safe life of 6 years. Check these items for cracking and such.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/how-old-and-dangerous-are-your-tires.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back