ruger 22lr handguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
went to an indoor shooting range yesterday to compare three smaller ruger 22lr handguns and 500 rounds of various ammo. two semiauto pistols: sr22, lcp22 and one single action revolver: bearcat. ammo: aguila super extra, cci standard, cci minimag 40g solid, cci minimag 36g hp, cci poly hv, federal lrn bulk, remington viper, winchester super x.

my personal handgun winner for reliability, accuracy, comfort and usefulness remains the sr22: no hiccups with any ammo, easy to load, comfortable to use and grip, tighter groups.

the absolute best ammo by far in all three handguns was the cci poly, rated at 1260fps (rifle barrel): no smoke, no flash from excess unburned powder, accurate, no hiccups, healthy ejection of spent rounds. federal lrn was smokey and low powered, barely ejecting spent rounds from the two semiauto pistols. otherwise in general cci anything outperformed the others, even the standard. i had some lcp22 squibs with aguila, winchester and remington ammo. surprisingly the bearcat touched off only the aguila.

as much as i want to like my new lcp22, i'm becoming less enamored of it. its actual execution is less attractive than its concept. the lcp22's mags are sharp and really uncomfortable to load since they have no follower as do the sr22's mags. in fact i soon was loading only five rounds per mag to spare my fingers. the loader that comes with the lcp22 is worthless. its shorter barrel equals less accuracy and more flash from unburned powder. the lcp22 had some failures to feed with aguila, winchester, federal and cci mm 40g ammo.

being a single action revolver the bearcat is a different beast. i still really like the bearcat but this time, having shot it next to the sr22, the bearcat's smaller grips showed me that it is less fun as a plinker. the bearcat is a sturdy mechanical jewel useful more as accessory tool for outdoors activities or teaching, or if a small or heirloom handgun is sought, than as the one and only, go-to, multipurpose rimfire handgun.

fwiw, the range and store were crowded, but customers seemed to be focused on 9mm and 223/5.56 offerings. i had zero trouble selecting 22lr and 38sp ammo.

4E274B05-B569-4E6F-8148-85820C285500.jpeg

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
https://ruger.com/products/markIV/overview.html

This is what I recommend .

Agree. I have the Competition model. Back 20+ years ago, it was sent back to Ruger because it was jamming. They fixed it and has been fine since although I can't remember when I last fired it.. I did notice the recall, never knew about it and will have to check with Ruger on that. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
I am guessing , the Browning is quite a bit more expensive ?

When I was young , I had ( still have it ) the Ruger automatic .22 LR target pistol . I used to shoot at empty 12 gauge shells .

Interesting on the LCP22, I've been thinking about one since it came out.

With a down economy I don't see myself buying another gun but it would sure help whittle away the time while at home.

My favorite gun is still my first, a 22LR bolt rifle with a long barrel (24"?). Open sights, no serial number, no blueing left. 7 shot magazine but for a few years I shot it as a single shot as it took that long to track down a magazine. Makes every shot count.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I am guessing , the Browning is quite a bit more expensive ?

When I was young , I had ( still have it ) the Ruger automatic .22 LR target pistol . I used to shoot at empty 12 gauge shells .

I paid less than $300 on a sale a few years ago on mine.

Originally Posted by supton

in all honesty, and i hate to say it, i would pass on the lcp22 if i were looking for one fun 22 plinker. here is my own humble and limited advice. im "into" ruger so for the price of a $300 lcp22 you can get a new sr22, a decent used single six or a new wrangler (for $100 less actually). i don't know well the ruger mark series or 22/45 other than the gen4 are way easier to fieldstrip, but all gens are fine shooters. beretta neos is well made and a great value at $200 but is a weird shape best suited for small hands. heritage roughrider is a perfectly ok, likely last your lifetime only, $150 plinker. s&w m&p compact and browning buckmark are excellent so i hear, but no experience with them. walther p22 gen2 is a much improved model. cheers.

The LCP isn't really for fun shooting, it's for concealed carry.

Now, a Ruger Single Six is a lot of fun to shoot. I've got one and love it.

The SR-22 is a nice little pistol. Lots of fun to shoot, very reliable. Reasonably priced. Shot one many times.

My only complaint is that it's a bit fiddly to take down and clean. It's got a fixed barrel, so the field strip is a bit different.

I have that SS with two wheels … good way to understand how much difference there is between the LR and mag.
Also have the .44 mag version … bought in early 80's

Originally Posted by Astro14

The SR-22 is a nice little pistol. Lots of fun to shoot, very reliable. Reasonably priced. Shot one many times.

My only complaint is that it's a bit fiddly to take down and clean. It's got a fixed barrel, so the field strip is a bit different.

Along with your complaint, I would add the thumb safety switch moves UP to take off Safety. Completely opposite the 1911, which is my usual fare. Other than that, I love my SR22. My 10 year old daughter is quite good with it.

Originally Posted by jstert
Originally Posted by supton

in all honesty, and i hate to say it, i would pass on the lcp22 if i were looking for one fun 22 plinker. here is my own humble and limited advice. im "into" ruger so for the price of a $300 lcp22 you can get a new sr22, a decent used single six or a new wrangler (for $100 less actually). i don't know well the ruger mark series or 22/45 other than the gen4 are way easier to fieldstrip, but all gens are fine shooters. beretta neos is well made and a great value at $200 but is a weird shape best suited for small hands. heritage roughrider is a perfectly ok, likely last your lifetime only, $150 plinker. s&w m&p compact and browning buckmark are excellent so i hear, but no experience with them. walther p22 gen2 is a much improved model. cheers.

Yeah, I know it's not a plinker but I'd probably use it for that all the same. Maybe some conceal carry, maybe. Having Ruger in my backyard predisposes me to liking their products, that doesn't help.
lol.gif

I have a MkII and while I like it, the grips at the moment don't seem to agree with me; worse, while it's a nice Government model, the completely black open sites and my rapidly aging eyes aren't getting along. I'm not getting rid of it but at some point I'm going to have to give in and drift in some new sights. It's already got some scratches so I don't think there is much value in the gun anyhow.

the absolute best ammo by far in all three handguns was the cci poly, rated at 1260fps (rifle barrel): no smoke, no flash from excess unburned powder, accurate, no hiccups, healthy ejection of spent rounds. federal lrn was smokey and low powered, barely ejecting spent rounds from the two semiauto pistols. otherwise in general cci anything outperformed the others, even the standard. i had some lcp22 squibs with aguila, winchester and remington ammo. surprisingly the bearcat touched off only the aguila.

Im a big fan in general of the synthetic coated ammo, but I just took some cci clean .22 to the range yesterday and can definitely claim the same thing.

I got the HV stuff because of price, it was on sale compared to the standard velocity blue poly coat. No availability now...

The only downside is that it's like 6c a round instead of 3-4. I guess poly is an added step, but I'd think it should've cheaper than the copper wash stuff. Maybe the economies of scale just aren't there.

went to an indoor shooting range yesterday to compare three smaller ruger 22lr handguns and 500 rounds of various ammo. two semiauto pistols: sr22, lcp22 and one single action revolver: bearcat. ammo: aguila super extra, cci standard, cci minimag 40g solid, cci minimag 36g hp, cci poly hv, federal lrn bulk, remington viper, winchester super x.

my personal handgun winner for reliability, accuracy, comfort and usefulness remains the sr22: no hiccups with any ammo, easy to load, comfortable to use and grip, tighter groups.

as much as i want to like my new lcp22, i'm becoming less enamored of it. its actual execution is less attractive than its concept. the lcp22's mags are sharp and really uncomfortable to load since they have no follower as do the sr22's mags. in fact i soon was loading only five rounds per mag to spare my fingers. the loader that comes with the lcp22 is worthless. its shorter barrel equals less accuracy and more flash from unburned powder. the lcp22 had some failures to feed with aguila, winchester, federal and cci mm 40g ammo.

being a single action revolver the bearcat is a different beast. i still really like the bearcat but this time, having shot it next to the sr22, the bearcat's smaller grips showed me that it is less fun as a plinker. the bearcat is a sturdy mechanical jewel useful more as accessory tool for outdoors activities or teaching, or if a small or heirloom handgun is sought, than as the one and only, go-to, multipurpose rimfire handgun.

fwiw, the range and store were crowded, but customers seemed to be focused on 9mm and 223/5.56 offerings. i had zero trouble selecting 22lr and 38sp ammo.

Nice collection and easy on the budget for ammo and long rifle ammo is effective...imho

Ruger MRK III 5" Target Model with Bull Barrel (Stainless Steel) … Although a challenge to take a part until you get the hang of it - all you really have to do is run a patch through it from time to time , lightly oil and keep the extractor / feed ramp clean and you have a real accurate , fun shooter for Bulls Eye or plinking .

Thanks for the excellent writeup! I do like the 22 caliber toys and of course the Ruger 22 products. I have a MK-II target that has been superb. My new 22/45 is equally accurate, but the plastic "lower" feels a bit cheap.

Originally Posted by 28oz
Originally Posted by Astro14

Along with your complaint, I would add the thumb safety switch moves UP to take off Safety. Completely opposite the 1911, which is my usual fare. Other than that, I love my SR22. My 10 year old daughter is quite good with it.

It's because of the hammer de-cocker function of the safety lever. The Walther P22Q is the same way ... lever up is Fire, lever down is Safe.

Take down of both the Ruger SR22 and Walther P22Q is basically identical, and both are super easy. The SR22 doesn't have a captured recoil spring & rod assembly, but the Walther does (that changed with their changes a few years ago) to make reassembly easier. But the SR22 recoil spring looks easier to manage upon reassembly, so it might not be a big deal that it doesn't have a captured spring & rod.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Thanks for the excellent writeup! I do like the 22 caliber toys and of course the Ruger 22 products. I have a MK-II target that has been superb. My new 22/45 is equally accurate, but the plastic "lower" feels a bit cheap.

most welcome, of course shooting 22lr is always a pleasure. the only downside was the indoor shooting range. it is usually quiet on a military discount monday but not now, it was a zoo. while seeing more newbies enjoy shooting is wonderful, so too is proper training wonderful. when i was a kid i learned to shoot in nra and boy scouts, the army came a bit later.

the older we get the more we revert to simple pleasures. rimfire doesn't beat me up, and reminds me of happy nra and boy scout 22lr rifle times as a kid.

i find that i gravitate to 22lr as my traveling and even ccw choice. i carry what i'm well practiced with. i own a few higher caliber ccw choices but i practice more with 22lr handguns because i enjoy them. as much as i am a revolver guy my ruger sr22 is a go-to piece. if the 2" lcr 22lr came with an exposed hammer for more accurate single action shots i would carry it more. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back