Fear of ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG-ers,

For me is fear of spiders, the big cockroaches, and the centipedes. It is also strange that I seem to developed this in the past 5 years.

Funny: Bumble bee jumped at my foot while I was mowing with my electric mower (buzzing noise?). I think I did a nice little funny "dance" for the neighbors.

P.S. What is it with wild bees and sardine cans?

Nothing wrong with it. Everyone has certain fears even if they never admit it.

It's part of our evolution.

No real fear of spiders. But once I was driving on the highway and the biggest spider I had ever seen was slowly crawling up my shirt.No idea how it got there but it was probably about an inch in diameter and that was the body. I quickly pulled over into the breakdown lane, opened the door and flicked the spider out the door with my hand. That was a shocker though. I was just happy I didn't do anything crazy, probably took a few seconds to switch lanes and move into the breakdown lane.

Don't like cockroaches. They are so big here we hunt them with with a 12 Ga and 00 buckshot.

Originally Posted by pandus13
For me is fear of spiders, the big cockroaches, and the centipedes. It is also strange that I seem to developed this in the past 5 years.

Spiders are less of an issue for me and here in the north we don't have many cockroaches, but that last one is a big one for me.

I'd rather sleep in a room with a bear than one of those. And we only get the house centipedes not those truly horrific things down south.

I fear things that might be able to kill me. But that would seem totally natural.

Poisonous snakes, large animals like a bear.

If I was was down under where I think they have huge aggressive spiders I might be afraid of them.

Fascination/fear of spiders but really only because they can surprise you. For example last spring I turned over a bag of potting soil and a brown widow was attached to the underside of the bag. Scared me almost as bad as the time a cockroach shot up my arm when I reached into a satchel of clothes worn on a sailing trip.

Basically any situation resembling the Wood Beast scene in the move Flash Gordon puts me on edge.

When I was about three I was out in the back yard playing catch with my cousin. The ball we found was really a large hornet nest. (must have been abandoned because we weren't stung). The old man next door ran out of his house grabbed us away and put the fear of God into us. Still have a fear of certain invertebrates that I think dates from that incident although bees in my front yard don't bother me (intellectually I know they're helpful).

Also remember (about ten years ago) getting a huge blue stink bug on my head. Looked like it was a couple of inches across. Ran into a Quik Trip restroom and was jumping around like a sissy trying to get it off my head. Smelled like somebody dropped a deuce on my head. Pocket dialed 911.

Last edited:
I hate bugs in general, but they rarely cause fear. Coming across bears tends to get the heart going, and coming across bugs or snakes does not.

Heights get me. Hasn't happened in a while but a few times I could feel an urge building inside of me to take a running leap--the complete opposite of fear!--and that was enough to get me away from whatever height it was. I still go up ladders but it has to be a flat roof for me to step onto; ladders somehow are ok (I hang on for dear life) but for some reason I just can't stand to walk around on roofs.

What I've had close encounters with are vipers, gators, boars, bulls, scorpions, spiders, centipedes,
… being too close to them can raise the BPM, for sure if a diamondback hits his warning buzzer ! Bears I have seen were never close, I'm good with that.
Tarantulas are something I had to get comfortable with, just creepy things passing by on a mission that does not include me.
I tend to know the nasty spiders and figure like poisonous snakes, they should live somewhere else because they need to fear me on my property.

Claustrophobia, I developed only after I went up the St Peter's dome in the Vatican. Before that, I used to crawl in all kinds of tiny places but after that incident, I just feel very uncomfortable in tight spaces.

But arachnophobia is pretty common. Many in my family just start screaming and it so so annoys me, the screaming part, not the fear part, as it startles me. I have broken a few things like that.

Animals don't bother me. Don't get me wrong I'm not going to try and pet a rattlesnake or stick my hand in a box of black widows but I see them and go the other way calmly.

For me it's enclosed spaces. If I can't freely move my arms away from my body I panic.

I'm embarrassed to say it, but I'm afraid of the dark. I sleep with a pillow over my head when my wife is away on business travel.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Hello BITOG-ers,

If your new kitten is anything like mine, this will not be a problem at all. I haven't seen an insect below about 8 feet from the floor in the house since I got her.

Originally Posted by cb_13
For me it's enclosed spaces. If I can't freely move my arms away from my body I panic.

I never thought I was susceptible to that until once I was working under a car and my arm got stuck up along the engine somehow. It was amazing how quickly that turned to some sort of panic.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by cb_13

I never thought I was susceptible to that until once I was working under a car and my arm got stuck up along the engine somehow. It was amazing how quickly that turned to some sort of panic.

Neither did I, until I went in for a full body MRI. Jesus, was that tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back