Motorcraft Semi Synthetic...any good?

I get a good laugh when I see Motorcraft Semi Synthetic. The world has moved to full synthetic. Conventional and semi-synthetic is special order at Walmart. The shelf seems like its a full synthetic convention.

Why would Ford push this semi-synthetic?

I think that Motorcraft semi syn has been labeled as such since it was in SL/GF-3. Today, we all know that most if not all conventional oils in 5W20, 5W20 & 10W30 are semi syn oils but back then it was probably a big deal.

As for why Motorcraft is still pushing this oil is probably marketing and if they don't need to change the labeling, they're not going to.

Originally Posted by Navi
I get a good laugh when I see Motorcraft Semi Synthetic. The world has moved to full synthetic. Conventional and semi-synthetic is special order at Walmart. The shelf seems like its a full synthetic convention.

Given that the blend could be 10/90 percent or 90/10 or who knows I never saw the need for a blend.

Been using it my Ford Focus for 7 years/106K miles and runs like a top. Changes at an average of 7K miles.

At any place which sells oil quite literally someone would have to nail me in the head to find conventional or semi synthetic. The world has taken a bow to full synthetic.

Ran the 5w20 Motorcraft Semi Syn for 11 years in my 2005 4.6 Crown Vic. Sold it with 300K miles on it. Used zero oil between 5-7K miles changes. This was in Miami jungle heat and in gridlock traffic.

Agreed that semi-synthetics are slowly fading away, but the Motorcraft (thought to be identical to now gone Trop Artic) oil is still really good stuff and has shown lots of outstanding UOA's here.

I don't see much point in paying for a semi-syn anymore either with full syns barely costing any more. There used to be a larger price gap IIRC.

I think that the Motorcraft oils labeled "SemiSyn" are actually like all the other brands which are labeled as conventional(which are also blends) due to being priced similarly to conventional oil.

Originally Posted by Donald

Given that the blend could be 10/90 percent or 90/10 or who knows I never saw the need for a blend.

Not unless ConocoPhillips is buying certain Exxon/Mobil basestocks. Most SN/SN+ oils have to have roughly 50% group III, depending on whether it's 5w30 or 5w20. As previous posts stated, it's all pretty much blends now. There's such a small price spread that any do it your selfer should probably get syn. Not so if you pay for oil changes where the spread is huge.

Last edited:

Most full synthetics are just semi-synthetic if truth be told

So maybe its truth in labeling.

Plus "synthetic" may be good for extended drain but the more the oil is cracked and isomerised the less "clingy and cleanie" it becomes

so its not without compromise, depending on the formulation.

In the days of less stressed engines, It was a decent oil comparable to

MC5K, and QSGB. IIRC it had a lot of mystery FM and it seemed to do well with lugging and general hyper -miling.

Plus it has been Honda Motor oil for ages.

So no need to trash it.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Clickbait title.

The oil meets its specs and does its job. Proven to work over quite some time going back to when I joined this board.

"Like"

I can find conventional and semi-synthetic on shelves all the time too. I won't dispute that the price difference nowadays has me buying (full) synthetic though but that's a choice I make. My car, my wife's car, and our older Accord all call for conventional oil. Our son's '12 Accord does spec 0W-20 which some mistakenly believe means "synthetic" but that's not true either.

Ford has nothing to do, with what's being sold at Walmart. Ford has a long-standing contract with Conoco and the Motorcraft name. Besides, does GM only put full synthetic in their new vehicles? Does Fiat only put full synthetic in their new vehicles? So why expect Ford to go full synthetic in all their vehicles?

Yeah, bet you that Costco "synthetic" darling of the site is GII/GIII … maybe MC/Ford are just being honest.
Funny part is they are not the company ever in question

Costco doesn't advertise Kirkland as semi-syn. Walmart separates the labeling of their Supertech semi-syns and full syns.
GrpII+ / Grp III has little to do with anything - or than inscription / description of product.

We are already beyond what comprises a conventional, semi and full syn. Been talked about here for a long time already. I just wish the PAOs had their own inscription / descriptions that go beyond the world of Full Synthetic. The C3s should have the opportunity to be listed as 100% Premium Synthetic, or something worded of that nature - being the lack of GrpIII.

Last edited:
(quote)
GrpII+ / Grp III has little to do with anything - or than inscription / description of product.
===================================================================

ALERT !

Everyone here got that ! No more fighting over Amsoil or Redline vs Kirkland and stuff like that.
Run them all 25k

Back