Yaris or Sonic

I_4

2008 Yaris or 2015 Sonic ? A relative asked me to go with them last weekend to shop for a used car. The criteria was a four door automatic transmission, with good gas mileage, 30+mpg, and a price limit of $ 4k. The goal is to keep the car for 8-10 years, and approx. 100k or more miles. An internet search led to these two. Both have approx. 105k shown on the odometer.
The Yaris had a couple of minor door dings, and three almost new matching tires. The fourth tire, was older and mismatched, and worn more than half way. Slight cracking. I would replace the tire or work it into the price. The car drove well, transmission shifted smooth and engine had no unusual noise. Went down the road straight, stopped straight. No rattles. Paint was ok, slight LF bumper scuff that would need touch up. Headlights needed to be restored for clarity. No records of oil changes or repairs. The oil was clean, like it was recently changed. Priced right around book value. But the documentation fee was $400, so we walked away.
The Sonic was in another lot a couple of towns away, along with about 15 other almost identical Sonics. All were red, four door hatchbacks. Mileage varied from 70 to 140k. Prices based on miles. All just off lease from a national chain, I was told. The one we looked at had approx. 105k. Price 4k. No document fee. All automatics, with the non turbo engine. No scratches, dings or dents on this one. Interiors were all black, and held up nicely. The down side to the buyer was the bright red paint and the hatch style. It drove well, the 6 spd auto shifted fine. It also has stability control, which the Yaris does not. Priced well under book value.
The question is, which will hold up over the next 100k with minimal repair? How is the EchoTech General Motors engine? I do not know much about the Chevrolet Sonic. An internet search revealed good safety ratings, and good repair records. At least that is what I found.
So which is most likely to go the distance? My vote was the Yaris. (With a new tire and reduced doc fee or price reduction) The buyer wants to think about it, with that they might be gone by next weekend. But their reasoning, no one is buying cars in this COVID-19 driven state, and the prices may come down.

Originally Posted by Olas
I always preferred Mario to Sonic.
If you want a Yaris get the GR spec one - all the others are just souless appliances.

Yaris GR is not available in the states, it does look like a fun car though.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by Olas
I always preferred Mario to Sonic.
If you want a Yaris get the GR spec one - all the others are just souless appliances.

Yaris GR is not available in the states, it does look like a fun car though.

Why isn't it available? There are several boring, slow, mediocre permutations of the Yaris and only one good one. Is there a valid reason that your market only gets the boring slow versions? And what is your motivation for considering buying a car when the trim level you want is not available?

Marketplaces are crazy!

toyota yaris.
my yaris was two years old with 42k when i got it from hertz in 2016 for $9800. now at 54k it runs perfectly. i chose a yaris over a cheaper chevy sonic or nissan versa note because i spent several years commuting in yarises (yarii?) in southeast asia where they are the taxi of record and i didnt have a pov. given how well yarii happily cope with indonesian and filipino roads, traffic and taxi drivers, a yaris should be at the top of anyone's list for a reliable, pleasant little economy car.

"The criteria was a four door automatic transmission, with good gas mileage, 30+mpg, and a price limit of $ 4k. "

"The goal is to keep the car for 8-10 years, and approx. 100k or more miles."

I would sacrifice 3 or so mpg and go with a Ford Fusion. Tig1 has a 2.3L with well over 200K on it. I have a 2.5 with only 55K.

They are nearly bulletproof, and you get so much more than a subcompact.

I had a Honda Fit and when i first got it i thought i was king of the world getting 33mpg but that got old within 10K miles.

The sacrifice in ride quality and comfort are not worth the 3-4mpg in my opinion.

The best mpg i got was 34mpg on a long trip.. the 2.3 may do better.

Originally Posted by I_4
2008 Yaris or 2015 Sonic ? A relative asked me to go with them last weekend to shop for a used car. The criteria was a four door automatic transmission, with good gas mileage, 30+mpg, and a price limit of $ 4k. The goal is to keep the car for 8-10 years, and approx. 100k or more miles. An internet search led to these two. Both have approx. 105k shown on the odometer.
The Yaris had a couple of minor door dings, and three almost new matching tires. The fourth tire, was older and mismatched, and worn more than half way. Slight cracking. I would replace the tire or work it into the price. The car drove well, transmission shifted smooth and engine had no unusual noise. Went down the road straight, stopped straight. No rattles. Paint was ok, slight LF bumper scuff that would need touch up. Headlights needed to be restored for clarity. No records of oil changes or repairs. The oil was clean, like it was recently changed. Priced right around book value. But the documentation fee was $400, so we walked away.
The Sonic was in another lot a couple of towns away, along with about 15 other almost identical Sonics. All were red, four door hatchbacks. Mileage varied from 70 to 140k. Prices based on miles. All just off lease from a national chain, I was told. The one we looked at had approx. 105k. Price 4k. No document fee. All automatics, with the non turbo engine. No scratches, dings or dents on this one. Interiors were all black, and held up nicely. The down side to the buyer was the bright red paint and the hatch style. It drove well, the 6 spd auto shifted fine. It also has stability control, which the Yaris does not. Priced well under book value.
The question is, which will hold up over the next 100k with minimal repair? How is the EchoTech General Motors engine? I do not know much about the Chevrolet Sonic. An internet search revealed good safety ratings, and good repair records. At least that is what I found.
So which is most likely to go the distance? My vote was the Yaris. (With a new tire and reduced doc fee or price reduction) The buyer wants to think about it, with that they might be gone by next weekend. But their reasoning, no one is buying cars in this COVID-19 driven state, and the prices may come down.

My wife drives a 2015 Sonic 4 door sedan . She likes it . 70,000

Originally Posted by SeaJay
8-10 more years of service on a $4K car is optimistic.

I'm at over 3 years on a $1,500 car.
smile.gif
but boy does it take some shopping, and TBH I have more in repairs than in purchase. That does bring it around to the next question, what is the repair budget like? Tires and brakes, and whatever might be expected to go in short order. No sense in blowing all of one's savings and then having to go into debt when the first repair hits.

Is the small car because of city commuting?

Yaris is 12 years old now. It can last another 100k miles with proper maintenance but it will be very tired by then.

I'm not sure if Sonic is built better to justify the 7 years in age difference.

Those older Yaris'('08-present) were/are very reliable(according to CR) even if they're not particularly a good driving car. The Sonic may be a nicer car to drive but, less reliable. I do know several people with 1st gen Yaris' all with good success.

And one buddy of mine in particular (also retired) happens to have a 2008 Yaris hatch and loves it. However, now that the car is getting older, he is needing to put some money into the car. But, just the normal stuff such as control arm, wheel bearing, serpentine belts, etc. So, keep this in mind.

I'd recommend a Yaris based on this^^^ but, they're not a CamRolla meaning, running a long, long time while needing little along the way. A Yaris will run a long time too, it just needs stuff sooner.

Yaris.
Source, had a '08 sedan from new for 10 years for 64k miles. 3 accidents, and Chicago area potholes and filed with tools + materials (trunk, backseats, passenger seat).
still OK.
not much rust even if only garaged for 2 years out of 10.
Engine is the 1.5L world engine capable of reaching 300k-500k miles.
tires are a cheap to find size 15".

check the body, undercariage , towers and any suspension parts.
also, you may need to change the coolant. drain and refill the AT fluid too. I used Maxlife or Castrol import multivehicle.
check your sparks.
Oil filter. Fram toughguard. Oil, any good synth or semi-synth 5w30. It didn't eat any oil, and at 3k it was clean. at 5k kind of dirty

Please understand you will drive this for a long time so invest for your (your friend) comfort, but they don' really have a lot of value.
value around $1.5k-4k
Chairs are taller, not bucket. Check the fit.
The hatchback 5 doors model adds some extra access space and gains some MPG since it's lighter than the sedan.
trunk is good between you and your not-watching-the-road drivers around you.

The suggestion for Ford Fusion is also nice, for a bit more added comfort.

We had a 2007 Yaris Sedan with the manual and it was a great car. We only replaced it when we had our first son because it was too small in the back seat to fit a baby seat rear facing.

Originally Posted by I_4

The 1.8 in the Sonic is the same engine used in the Saturn/Opel Astra. OHC. Will need a belt change at around 100,000 miles. Check the Sonic forums for problems and maintenance. Main problems were junk water pumps, antifreeze smells coming into the cabin,thermostat housings cracking [cheap underhood plastics]. First ones went out missing front brake pads. From the factory.

http://www.sonicownersforum.com/forum/1-8l-sonic-engine-discussion/

[ www.sonicownersforum.com/forum ]

Dashboard Light gives the Sonic [and Cruze} a "7" out of 100 in reliability.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Chevrolet_Sonic.html

I'd take the Yaris. Sounds like it hasn't been maintained too well [oddball worn out tire and no records], but will probably run forever. Built for just that sort of neglect.

The Sonic I have been interested in. But I think I'm just done with GM period. A 10 year battle with the ignition switch in my ION has been enough for me, though the running costs have been only gas, oil and tires. [And filler neck on the gas tank.]

If you want to maintain good family relations: the Yaris.

Last edited:
The Sonic does have a timing belt, but if that's been done, I'd probably go with the Sonic. I would think the Yaris would be getting into alot of age related issues in the next 4 years, shocks, bushings in the suspension, rusty brake lines... The Sonic should be a bit better in that regard plus its a more substantial car, side air bags, etc...
I went for a ride along in that era of Sonic with the sport suspension package(no turbo though) at autocross a couple years back, and on some good tires I was shocked how well it went through the course.

Back