Fuel Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
A clogged fuel filter would usually cause the car to not start or have difficulty starting and cause fuel delivery problems that may cause the CEL to come on that can't be explained by ignition issues or bad sensors.

If the fuel filter is completely blocked the engine will not run because no fuel can get through the filter.
If the filter is partially blocked you *might experience lack of power at high RPM or slow acceleration.

Does the car have any problems? What makes you think the fuel filter is due to be changed? If the car starts and drives as normal the filter is most likely still ok.

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
In my Jeep Liberty3.7L what are some symptoms if I need a new filter? Thank you

Symptoms will begin to appear during peak engine demands where fuel flow is at its peak.. You may notice it will start getting more difficult to merge onto the freeway. I had one on a Ford van and the van wouldn't go faster than 50 mph without shuddering and the CEL coming on. It idled and started ok but that isn't considered "peak". Of course fuel pressure is going to go down too if you can measure it. I change mine every 30-40k just to avoid problems but it only takes one tank of bad gas to ruin a new fuel filter.

Last edited:
Depending on the location of the filter, you may find futuure maintenance easier if you move it to another location. If its in the tank it can be a pain to change but if its in the engine compartment itll be easier to access...

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
In my Jeep Liberty3.7L what are some symptoms if I need a new filter? Thank you

The car might idle and run slow but as you press the gas pedal it will bog down.

Gas is very clean these days. When I pulled a gas tank on my 1993 Suburban inside was pristine. Its always possible for one to get a bad load of gas or ex-wife to have messed with gas tank.

But a clogged fuel filter would not be high on my list.

The Liberty 3.7 only had a fuel filter from 2002 to early 2004 models. They are usually good for 100k unless someone puts something in the gas tank that should not be there.

rockauto has one for $30. They rarely clog up anymore as gas p[umps are required to have filters on them now. Hence why most cars do not have fuel filters anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back