Recent Topics
Applications for a new job
by 97prizm - 03/28/20 02:55 AM
Petro Canada 20L bucket
by MalteseFalcon - 03/27/20 11:34 PM
Toolbox corrosion protection
by buck91 - 03/27/20 09:39 PM
Milwaukee 2767-20 Impact Wrench
by Wolf359 - 03/27/20 09:38 PM
Economic choices?
by buck91 - 03/27/20 09:33 PM
Stripped Bolt...best extractor set?
by TXCarGeek - 03/27/20 09:27 PM
HF Charger barely lasted a year
by jayjr1105 - 03/27/20 08:52 PM
My dog is not doing well.
by Chris142 - 03/27/20 08:40 PM
head rest stain. how to get out
by WhyMe - 03/27/20 07:50 PM
Heavy fuel oil: can we talk about it?
by 53' Stude - 03/27/20 07:35 PM
ramping up production of something
by andyd - 03/27/20 07:29 PM
Who waits for the RPMs to settle before ...?
by TXCarGeek - 03/27/20 06:45 PM
Signed up for Instacart
by 14Accent - 03/27/20 05:53 PM
Future Toyota Vehicle Line-Up
by The Critic - 03/27/20 04:45 PM
Brake Shoes cleaned after soaked in brake fluid?
by Cressida - 03/27/20 04:34 PM
Newest Members
bdowning, OliverQ50, NorCalHD, narelikg, Rhino2278
71032 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
14 registered members (FordCapriDriver, anndel, bachman, Kibitoshin, john_pifer, Lolvoguy, 1 invisible), 521 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics303,255
Posts5,232,687
Members71,032
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ruger 22lr handguns #5378343 03/17/20 07:13 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 326
J
jstert Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 326
went to an indoor shooting range yesterday to compare three smaller ruger 22lr handguns and 500 rounds of various ammo. two semiauto pistols: sr22, lcp22 and one single action revolver: bearcat. ammo: aguila super extra, cci standard, cci minimag 40g solid, cci minimag 36g hp, cci poly hv, federal lrn bulk, remington viper, winchester super x.

my personal handgun winner for reliability, accuracy, comfort and usefulness remains the sr22: no hiccups with any ammo, easy to load, comfortable to use and grip, tighter groups.

the absolute best ammo by far in all three handguns was the cci poly, rated at 1260fps (rifle barrel): no smoke, no flash from excess unburned powder, accurate, no hiccups, healthy ejection of spent rounds. federal lrn was smokey and low powered, barely ejecting spent rounds from the two semiauto pistols. otherwise in general cci anything outperformed the others, even the standard. i had some lcp22 squibs with aguila, winchester and remington ammo. surprisingly the bearcat touched off only the aguila.

as much as i want to like my new lcp22, i’m becoming less enamored of it. its actual execution is less attractive than its concept. the lcp22’s mags are sharp and really uncomfortable to load since they have no follower as do the sr22’s mags. in fact i soon was loading only five rounds per mag to spare my fingers. the loader that comes with the lcp22 is worthless. its shorter barrel equals less accuracy and more flash from unburned powder. the lcp22 had some failures to feed with aguila, winchester, federal and cci mm 40g ammo.

being a single action revolver the bearcat is a different beast. i still really like the bearcat but this time, having shot it next to the sr22, the bearcat’s smaller grips showed me that it is less fun as a plinker. the bearcat is a sturdy mechanical jewel useful more as accessory tool for outdoors activities or teaching, or if a small or heirloom handgun is sought, than as the one and only, go-to, multipurpose rimfire handgun.

fwiw, the range and store were crowded, but customers seemed to be focused on 9mm and 223/5.56 offerings. i had zero trouble selecting 22lr and 38sp ammo.



4E274B05-B569-4E6F-8148-85820C285500.jpeg

2013 vw passat s
2014 toyota yaris l
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: jstert] #5378374 03/17/20 08:02 AM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,833
W
WyrTwister Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,833


Wyr
God bless
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: WyrTwister] #5378387 03/17/20 08:28 AM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,644
D
DriveHard Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,644
Originally Posted by WyrTwister


I have shot that one, but IMHO this one is better...

https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/buck-mark-pistols.html

I can hit 90+% at 50 yards on a 6" plate.


Smile, it increases your face value
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth mod heavy (my DD)
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sport (wife's)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab LT 6.2L/6spd (tow pig)
2007 Nissan Xterra (trail toy)
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: WyrTwister] #5378396 03/17/20 08:37 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,709
L
Lubener Offline
Offline
L
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,709
Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Agree. I have the Competition model. Back 20+ years ago, it was sent back to Ruger because it was jamming. They fixed it and has been fine since although I can't remember when I last fired it.. I did notice the recall, never knew about it and will have to check with Ruger on that. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by Lubener; 03/17/20 08:38 AM.

The "thinking" man's friend.
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: jstert] #5378399 03/17/20 08:39 AM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,833
W
WyrTwister Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,833
I am guessing , the Browning is quite a bit more expensive ?

When I was young , I had ( still have it ) the Ruger automatic .22 LR target pistol . I used to shoot at empty 12 gauge shells .


Wyr
God bless
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: jstert] #5378418 03/17/20 08:55 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,647
S
supton Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,647
Interesting on the LCP22, I've been thinking about one since it came out.

With a down economy I don't see myself buying another gun but it would sure help whittle away the time while at home.

My favorite gun is still my first, a 22LR bolt rifle with a long barrel (24"?). Open sights, no serial number, no blueing left. 7 shot magazine but for a few years I shot it as a single shot as it took that long to track down a magazine. Makes every shot count.


2011 Toyota Camry, base, 2.5L/6MT, 203k, hers
2010 Toyota Tundra DC, 4.6L/6AT, 158k, ours
1999 Toyota Camry LE, 2.2L/4AT, 223k, his
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: WyrTwister] #5378435 03/17/20 09:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,644
D
DriveHard Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,644
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I am guessing , the Browning is quite a bit more expensive ?

When I was young , I had ( still have it ) the Ruger automatic .22 LR target pistol . I used to shoot at empty 12 gauge shells .


I paid less than $300 on a sale a few years ago on mine.


Smile, it increases your face value
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth mod heavy (my DD)
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TI Sport (wife's)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab LT 6.2L/6spd (tow pig)
2007 Nissan Xterra (trail toy)
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: supton] #5378439 03/17/20 09:11 AM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 326
J
jstert Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by supton
Interesting on the LCP22, I've been thinking about one since it came out.


in all honesty, and i hate to say it, i would pass on the lcp22 if i were looking for one fun 22 plinker. here is my own humble and limited advice. im “into” ruger so for the price of a $300 lcp22 you can get a new sr22, a decent used single six or a new wrangler (for $100 less actually). i don’t know well the ruger mark series or 22/45 other than the gen4 are way easier to fieldstrip, but all gens are fine shooters. beretta neos is well made and a great value at $200 but is a weird shape best suited for small hands. heritage roughrider is a perfectly ok, likely last your lifetime only, $150 plinker. s&w m&p compact and browning buckmark are excellent so i hear, but no experience with them. walther p22 gen2 is a much improved model. cheers.


2013 vw passat s
2014 toyota yaris l
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: jstert] #5378451 03/17/20 09:23 AM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,599
Astro14 Offline
Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,599
The LCP isn’t really for fun shooting, it’s for concealed carry.

Now, a Ruger Single Six is a lot of fun to shoot. I’ve got one and love it.

The SR-22 is a nice little pistol. Lots of fun to shoot, very reliable. Reasonably priced. Shot one many times.

My only complaint is that it’s a bit fiddly to take down and clean. It’s got a fixed barrel, so the field strip is a bit different.


32 Packard 15W40
01 Volvo V70 T5 0W30 AMSOIL SS
02 Volvo V70 T5 0W30 Edge
02 Volvo V70 XC 0W40 Edge
05 MB S600 0W40 M1
16 Tundra 1794 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: Astro14] #5378489 03/17/20 10:04 AM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,040
4WD Offline
Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 12,040
I have that SS with two wheels … good way to understand how much difference there is between the LR and mag.
Also have the .44 mag version … bought in early 80’s

Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: jstert] #5378521 03/17/20 10:33 AM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,079
V
volk06 Offline
Offline
V
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,079
The SR22 is a great little plinker.

Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: Astro14] #5378522 03/17/20 10:34 AM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 607
28oz Offline
Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 607
Originally Posted by Astro14
The LCP isn’t really for fun shooting, it’s for concealed carry.

Now, a Ruger Single Six is a lot of fun to shoot. I’ve got one and love it.

The SR-22 is a nice little pistol. Lots of fun to shoot, very reliable. Reasonably priced. Shot one many times.

My only complaint is that it’s a bit fiddly to take down and clean. It’s got a fixed barrel, so the field strip is a bit different.


Along with your complaint, I would add the thumb safety switch moves UP to take off Safety. Completely opposite the 1911, which is my usual fare. Other than that, I love my SR22. My 10 year old daughter is quite good with it.


-----------------
1990 Nissan 300zx VG30DE - M1 EP 10W-30
2004 Nissan Quest VQ35DE - M1 EP 10W-30
2003 Ford Excursion 7.3 PSD - Rotella T6 5W-40
2005 Ford Taurus 3.0 Vulcan - QS HM 5W-30
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: jstert] #5378527 03/17/20 10:40 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,647
S
supton Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 15,647
Originally Posted by jstert
Originally Posted by supton
Interesting on the LCP22, I've been thinking about one since it came out.


in all honesty, and i hate to say it, i would pass on the lcp22 if i were looking for one fun 22 plinker. here is my own humble and limited advice. im “into” ruger so for the price of a $300 lcp22 you can get a new sr22, a decent used single six or a new wrangler (for $100 less actually). i don’t know well the ruger mark series or 22/45 other than the gen4 are way easier to fieldstrip, but all gens are fine shooters. beretta neos is well made and a great value at $200 but is a weird shape best suited for small hands. heritage roughrider is a perfectly ok, likely last your lifetime only, $150 plinker. s&w m&p compact and browning buckmark are excellent so i hear, but no experience with them. walther p22 gen2 is a much improved model. cheers.

Yeah, I know it's not a plinker but I'd probably use it for that all the same. Maybe some conceal carry, maybe. Having Ruger in my backyard predisposes me to liking their products, that doesn't help. LOL

I have a MkII and while I like it, the grips at the moment don't seem to agree with me; worse, while it's a nice Government model, the completely black open sites and my rapidly aging eyes aren't getting along. I'm not getting rid of it but at some point I'm going to have to give in and drift in some new sights. It's already got some scratches so I don't think there is much value in the gun anyhow.


2011 Toyota Camry, base, 2.5L/6MT, 203k, hers
2010 Toyota Tundra DC, 4.6L/6AT, 158k, ours
1999 Toyota Camry LE, 2.2L/4AT, 223k, his
Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: jstert] #5378980 03/17/20 07:49 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 43,696
J
JHZR2 Offline
Global Moderator
Offline
Global Moderator
J
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 43,696
Originally Posted by jstert


the absolute best ammo by far in all three handguns was the cci poly, rated at 1260fps (rifle barrel): no smoke, no flash from excess unburned powder, accurate, no hiccups, healthy ejection of spent rounds. federal lrn was smokey and low powered, barely ejecting spent rounds from the two semiauto pistols. otherwise in general cci anything outperformed the others, even the standard. i had some lcp22 squibs with aguila, winchester and remington ammo. surprisingly the bearcat touched off only the aguila.



Im a big fan in general of the synthetic coated ammo, but I just took some cci clean .22 to the range yesterday and can definitely claim the same thing.

I got the HV stuff because of price, it was on sale compared to the standard velocity blue poly coat. No availability now...

The only downside is that it’s like 6c a round instead of 3-4. I guess poly is an added step, but I’d think it should’ve cheaper than the copper wash stuff. Maybe the economies of scale just aren’t there.

Re: ruger 22lr handguns [Re: jstert] #5379267 03/18/20 07:11 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,544
C
CourierDriver Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,544
Originally Posted by jstert
went to an indoor shooting range yesterday to compare three smaller ruger 22lr handguns and 500 rounds of various ammo. two semiauto pistols: sr22, lcp22 and one single action revolver: bearcat. ammo: aguila super extra, cci standard, cci minimag 40g solid, cci minimag 36g hp, cci poly hv, federal lrn bulk, remington viper, winchester super x.

my personal handgun winner for reliability, accuracy, comfort and usefulness remains the sr22: no hiccups with any ammo, easy to load, comfortable to use and grip, tighter groups.

the absolute best ammo by far in all three handguns was the cci poly, rated at 1260fps (rifle barrel): no smoke, no flash from excess unburned powder, accurate, no hiccups, healthy ejection of spent rounds. federal lrn was smokey and low powered, barely ejecting spent rounds from the two semiauto pistols. otherwise in general cci anything outperformed the others, even the standard. i had some lcp22 squibs with aguila, winchester and remington ammo. surprisingly the bearcat touched off only the aguila.

as much as i want to like my new lcp22, i’m becoming less enamored of it. its actual execution is less attractive than its concept. the lcp22’s mags are sharp and really uncomfortable to load since they have no follower as do the sr22’s mags. in fact i soon was loading only five rounds per mag to spare my fingers. the loader that comes with the lcp22 is worthless. its shorter barrel equals less accuracy and more flash from unburned powder. the lcp22 had some failures to feed with aguila, winchester, federal and cci mm 40g ammo.

being a single action revolver the bearcat is a different beast. i still really like the bearcat but this time, having shot it next to the sr22, the bearcat’s smaller grips showed me that it is less fun as a plinker. the bearcat is a sturdy mechanical jewel useful more as accessory tool for outdoors activities or teaching, or if a small or heirloom handgun is sought, than as the one and only, go-to, multipurpose rimfire handgun.

fwiw, the range and store were crowded, but customers seemed to be focused on 9mm and 223/5.56 offerings. i had zero trouble selecting 22lr and 38sp ammo.

Nice collection and easy on the budget for ammo and long rifle ammo is effective...imho


I'd still like to have my 67 Beetle back....life was easy then..imho 2 quarts of oil roughly ,lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™