Audi rings and bearings? what ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a friend at work with a an Audi that has the 4 cylinder turbo (around MY 2000 I think), he is going to rebuild the engine and was asking me what the best rings and bearings to run are? He asked is there a difference between the cheap ones he can find or the expensive fancy coated "racing" ones..? any feedback for whats best for an Audi/VW?

For Audi go with Mahle rings. I have used all sorts of bearings but I like OEM although expensive. Depending on shape of crank as to what is best as you can get a crank kit that has everything just mic it for clearances. This is a job best left for pros. Can it be done by DIY yes but lots of checks and balances needed

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mahle sounds good but keep in mind they have 160 plants world wide including 33 in China.

China has an operational Space Program unlike a lot of other countries - their manufacturing is amongst the best in the world so the location of the Mahle plant does not matter.

Consider that Lockheed and GM are both in the US, one of them makes gold and the other makes junk so the country in which the factories are situated is not relevant, it's about choosing the right company irrespective of what country you're in.

There are manufacturers in China that make junk, but there are also lots of cars being manufactured in China - most of the car comapnies we are familiar with have manufacturing in china and so need access to components - they take their pre-existing contracts and renegotiate to get the same suppliers and the same goods at their new location.

Unless you are building an extreme-use racecar, Mahle will do you proud with rings and shells.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Mahle sounds good but keep in mind they have 160 plants world wide including 33 in China.

I just got some injector adapters and seal kit from Mahle that were made in Vietnam, no problem with the quality. The machine that produces them doesn't care where it is located or who is running it. It could be on Mars with a little green man at the controls and still spit out the same product if the raw materials are the same quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back