4l60e delayed shift/no shift when temps are COLD

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello! my truck has a 4l60e and today it got randomly colder then the past couple weeks here in canada and the temperature was around -20 celcius which is -2 fahrenheit i believe.
i remote started the truck and got in 2 mins later and started driving, it reversed fine and was normal for the first 30 seconds, when i came to a complete stop and left the parking lot, the revs would go up but the truck wouldnt move so i shifted into neutral and back in drive and same thing, revs would go up no movement. i then shifted into park and back into drive and it was good to go but i noticed it wouldnt shift, it seemed to be stuck in gear 1/2 but my speed was only 40km/h ish so i pulled over into a parking lot and left it running while i went inside a store and came back after 10 mins and everything was perfectly fine, shifted good and normally. the past weeks hasnt been that cold so i have not noticed this behavior in a while.

about 3 weeks ago i had my fluid changed and the old fluid was still red, and did not smell burned or anything, i did the pan drop filter change and the cooler line fluid exchange. after the fluid change i have been monitoring the level and no leaks and its at hot on the dipstick when the tranny is hot.
i noticed about 4-8 weeks ago this same thing happened but it only happened when the temperature was -40 celcius which is -40 fahrenheit as well, and it made more sense when the temp was that cold because thats pretty cold but if it starts happening now at around -20 celcius then thats gonna suck for me because canadian winters are always around this temperature.

what do you think i should do? is this just due to an old transmission (245,000km on it) or is there something loose/needs to be replaced? the new fluid that went in was the ac delco dexron vi

thanks

Shift solenoids are a common failure item in this trans.

Easy, cheap, user replacement.

Not saying that's it, but check it out.

Put more fluid in it!!!!! At cold temps....Late shifts are normal.
Any kind of No movement/Falls out of gear is most likely a low fluid issue. Shift Solenoids will not cause this as there is NO combination for neutral with the Manual Valve in a forward or reverse position.

And make sure that [censored] filter is locked into the seal! Lube the girl up and give it a smack to seat. You may think it is in but she always wants a bit more. It will give a good audible thud when she bottoms out.

That oh ring seal that the filter goes into is supposed to be replaced. Almost nobody does
because its a b**** to get out. Maybe this is why its a replacement item. I always use a pair of wire snips. I just bend/cut/rip out. Gotta be real careful not to scar up metal.

It's not an O-ring, It's a Bonded Metal-Clad seal. Rarely do they need to be changed on a 4L60E or a 4L80E. If the filter fits snug.....Leave it alone! I stick my finger up in there to make sure the seal wasn't damaged by someone trying to remove it unsuccessfully.

The 6Lxx units on the other hand need to be changed just about every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back