Car projects while at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to put the RT43s back on my FXT as the Hakkapeliitta R2 SUVs are pretty awful when it gets warm out (like 50F and above)...the RT43s are also OK when there is a modest amount of snow. If we get any ice, I'm going to wish I left the Hakkas on!!
Also decided to change the oil since I was jacking the car up, anyway, my OCI came out just a few hundred miles shorter than usual.
Going to fix a few things outside next and maybe get an early start on getting some grass seed and fertilizer down...

Well, I intended to replace my valve cover and change out spark plugs. Parts arrived yesterday. However, I was informed that plans change. *sigh*

I wish I had a couple of car projects, but ever since getting rid of multiple older cars and just a newer vehicle each for me and the missus, they just don't need anything.

I'll probably be painting doors and trim in the house and possibly a bedroom.

Being over 65 here in Cali were advised by the Gubbner to stay home, got 3 vehicles to detail out for the summer but will have to wait till the rain clears out.

Here in the salt belt, every year I have to chase the surface rust on the frame of my 08 Nissan Xterra. The weather is getting warm enough to crawl under it.

Originally Posted by meep
I wish I had a couple of car projects, but ever since getting rid of multiple older cars and just a newer vehicle each for me and the missus, they just don't need anything.

I'm thinking they could probably use a good once-over with some clay, then a good deswirling to remove all the scratches in the clear coat, and a nice dual wax job to finish them off...Meguiars Ultimate as the synthetic work-horse protection layer and Surf City Garage Barrier Reef carnauba wax as the topper to make the paint look like its 2 foot deep.

Putting 2 coats of this stuff on your paint will make it look 4 ft deep
cheers3.gif

73318473_2814643058560223_5326775782331121664_n.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
Anyone planning car/mechanical projects to fill the time? Feeling like a few weeks at home is imminent so I've started making a list of some car projects that need done. I was going to change the oil in my wife's car yesterday but decided to wait. If I'm stuck at home, some car work like oil changes, diff. services, trailer wheel bearings, etc. will be a welcome distraction.

I've got several things I want to do. Rear brakes/rotors for the Grand Cherokee, oil change for the E430, wash/wax all of them, weather permitting, have front rotors turned on the Renegade, and detail interiors. The most interesting thing will be installing an off-road camera underneath my 2018 Jeep. It will be above and just forward of the transfer case skid plate, out of harms way, but should have a good view of the front tires and differential pumpkin so that I can spot wheel placement. It is a wireless camera that works with a Garmin Overlander. If it works out, it should be a game changer.

I'll also start a major cleaning of my garage. Uggh.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Good question … have tickets to fly through London in a couple weeks … could wind up in a Houston hotel or if lucky, on a work from home list.
All vehicles could use a deep clean.

What carrier are you supposed to fly with? My parents should be flying overseas through London in 2 weeks exactly but i'm not quite sure what british airways are gonna do in 2 weeks...concerned i am to say the least

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
Anyone planning car/mechanical projects to fill the time? Feeling like a few weeks at home is imminent so I've started making a list of some car projects that need done. I was going to change the oil in my wife's car yesterday but decided to wait. If I'm stuck at home, some car work like oil changes, diff. services, trailer wheel bearings, etc. will be a welcome distraction.

Doing rustoleum epoxyshield floors in garage. Had the floor cleaned and etched today,'letting it dry and will repair cracks and some pitting tomorrow. Hoping to have epoxy installed on Wednesday.

I have a full list of projects but I am waiting for the weather to smarten up a bit more. My trailblazer needs an oil change, tire rotation, check the gear oil in the diffs (possibly change the rear), grease all the caliper slide pins, remove and regrease the CAD, grease the U joints and tie rod ends and then the long arduous task of cleaning the interior/exterior. She be dirty.

The 1993 C1500 just needs the U joints and front end greased and depending on time, clean and grease the front wheel bearings.

The 3500, which is attached to the 5 horse needs all the tire pressures checked, tires rotated, check the gear oil level in the diffs and a massive interior/exterior clean.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Finished product!

hope it lasts for you. Ours got hot tire pickup and looks like crap

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by parshisa
Finished product!

hope it lasts for you. Ours got hot tire pickup and looks like crap

what were you preparations steps? cleaning grinding? or cleaning etching? how long did you let it cure and how long it lasted before started to peel? my floor looked like cr@p to begin with, so really any paint would make a huge cosmetic difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back