Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40

I've got a 99 Mercedes E430 Sport. I've always run Mobil 1 0w40 in it. My mechanic, who specializes in European cars, has switched to LiquiMoly 0w40 and was really hyping it up. I am sure it is outstanding oil, but The car has done perfectly well with Mobil1. Napa has M1 0w40 Euro formula on sale right now and with a free Coleman cooler deal, to boot, so I already know I'm going with M1, at least this time around.

I'm just curious what the Bitog hive thinks in a head to head matchup of these two oils.

Let the opinions fly!

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I found the Mobil 1 0W-40 to be average,

and the Pennzoil 0W-40 outstanding.

The Castrol 0W-40 was better than the Mobil1 , but not as good as the Pennzoil...

Have not used the Liqui Moly yet, got a 12 year stash of clearance oil I am working through...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-0W-40-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/245761151

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10933288&jsn=2104
Watch the shipping on Rock Auto, however...

In what way was the M1 not as good as the Pennzoil??

Worldpac sells the LM for a low price, and he gets his incentives on the sum total. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with the oils mentioned. Go by specs and your preferences.

Amongst the Euro Mechanic crowd, for some unknown reason, most of them strongly endorse Liqui Moly.

And amongst the Japanese repair shops, Castrol seems to have the same level of support.

Not sure why - both brands do not offer anything special IMO.

More fun...

I think there are three versions of the Mobil 1, a Euro, a Truck, and a vanilla plain, used in dealer bulk tanks...
I know there are two, because the Dealer put the truck version in and it ran like crap.
Drained and refilled with Euro oil, it ran much better...

On the Castrol, both the 0W-30 and the 0W-40 use the same additive package, just different viscosity...

The Pennzoil is even more fun, there is a 0W-40 and a 5W-40.
Both use the same additive package, and both are marked under other names, Shell Helix, Quaker State Euro, and for the Canadians, Motormaster Euro...
Strangely, the 0W-40 ran better than the 5W-40..,

Normally, a three cylinder engine runs like a cement mixer filled with bowling balls,
Instead of each piston stroke being 90 degrees from the next, it is 120 degrees...
The Pennzoil 0W-40 gave me the least vibration, and smoothest ride...

Does the LiquiMoly have a higher percentage of PAO base stock? I've heard M1 0w40's newer formulations have reduced the percentage of PAO. Maybe that's why the Euromechanics have moved that way. My guy (he's German, btw) used to really push M1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
More fun...

I think there are three versions of the Mobil 1, a Euro, a Truck, and a vanilla plain, used in dealer bulk tanks...
I know there are two, because the Dealer put the truck version in and it ran like crap.
Drained and refilled with Euro oil, it ran much better...

On the Castrol, both the 0W-30 and the 0W-40 use the same additive package, just different viscosity...

The Pennzoil is even more fun, there is a 0W-40 and a 5W-40.
Both use the same additive package, and both are marked under other names, Shell Helix, Quaker State Euro, and for the Canadians, Motormaster Euro...
Strangely, the 0W-40 ran better than the 5W-40..,

Normally, a three cylinder engine runs like a cement mixer filled with bowling balls,
Instead of each piston stroke being 90 degrees from the next, it is 120 degrees...
The Pennzoil 0W-40 gave me the least vibration, and smoothest ride...

Lol, how many miles do you have on that car? I've always thought those things were pretty neat.

There is nothing at all special about LM its a decent oil. The Mobil 1 0w40 is good oil and proven over many years to protect well and keep engines clean.
Forget the percent of base stock this that and the other, today the oils are so good it doesn't really mater.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I've got a 99 Mercedes E430 Sport. I've always run Mobil 1 0w40 in it. My mechanic, who specializes in European cars, has switched to LiquiMoly 0w40 and was really hyping it up. I am sure it is outstanding oil, but The car has done perfectly well with Mobil1. Napa has M1 0w40 Euro formula on sale right now and with a free Coleman cooler deal, to boot, so I already know I'm going with M1, at least this time around.

I'm just curious what the Bitog hive thinks in a head to head matchup of these two oils.

Let the opinions fly!

LM primarily markets to euro supplier and repair shops in the US. Perhaps your mechanic just finished watching a presentation? I admit that some of their products have intrigued me.

IMO the general opinion of it on BITOG is that it is priced a little high vs the competition.

Last edited:
LM user here, works fine and I won't say it's any better than anything else with the same approvals. LM only makes one oil in the 0W40 weight, Synthoil Energy A40 which does not have any of the MB approvals - only "recommended for". Their 5W40 oil Leichtlauf High Tech is likely the more appropriate oil with the MB approval for your carr.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Amongst the Euro Mechanic crowd, for some unknown reason, most of them strongly endorse Liqui Moly.

And amongst the Japanese repair shops, Castrol seems to have the same level of support.

Not sure why - both brands do not offer anything special IMO.

The Japanese guys in Nor Cal like Idemitsu products.

Although not a 0W their 5W-40 carries

Specifications & Approvals
ACEA A3/B4-12 (-10, -08)
API SN/CF
MB 229.5*
Volkswagen VW50500 (2005)*
Opel GM-LL-A-025*
Porsche A40*
Renault RN0710*
ACEA A5/B5-12 (-10, -08)
MB 229.3*
Volkswagen VW50200 (2005)*
BMW Longlife-01*
Opel GM-LL-B-025*
Renault RN0700*

Originally Posted by Trav
There is nothing at all special about LM its a decent oil. The Mobil 1 0w40 is good oil and proven over many years to protect well and keep engines clean.
Forget the percent of base stock this that and the other, today the oils are so good it doesn't really mater.

This.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Does the LiquiMoly have a higher percentage of PAO base stock? I've heard M1 0w40's newer formulations have reduced the percentage of PAO. Maybe that's why the Euromechanics have moved that way. My guy (he's German, btw) used to really push M1.

No! Liqui Moly was one of the earliest adopters of Group III oils in the end of 1990's and as usual, like with every LM product, they tried to sell it as something special.
I used long time ago Liqui Moly in Europe, long before it was available in the US. It was always OK at best oil, but nowehere near Mobi1 Castrol, Shell, Total, Selenia, etc.

I mean I am currently running it in my Merc, with s MANN filter. It's the 5w40 LT not the 0W-40 as you stated. I don't think it is anything special, however it is a decent oil that can make it through my 8,000km oil changes.

Mobil 1 0w40 I have heard great things and bad things. The bad being how quickly it shears down, but these euro 0w40 oils all do that, they are very light 40 weight oils. Personally from what I have read and seen here, I would rather go with Castrol 0w40 and Pennzoul Euro Platinum 0/5W 40.

I had been using Mobil euro 0-40, switched over to castrol euro 0-40 and the engine became much quieter. Mechanic put LM 0-40 in and it became quieter still. Just my experience in one car.

Originally Posted by ChristianReske
Liqui Moly 0w-40 is Group IV, PAO.
Just Saying.

It's just unfortunate that unlike the Mobil 1 and Castrol products it only carries ACEA A3/B4 and no manufacturer approvals or certifications.

Back