Genuine Toyota or aftermarket brake pads

Going to change the pads in my Camry. Just over 100k miles. Pads have a little life left in them but I'm working from home until at least the end of March and probably longer and the golf courses are starting to close near me. I'll have time to do this job so might was well knock it out.

Genuine Toyota pads and rotor and shim kit will cost me about $225 delivered. Raybestos pads and rotors with included hardware will cost about $105. Is genuine Toyota worth the extra cost?

I'd really like to change the pads/rotors and not have to worry about them for another 100k miles.

Why are you replacing rotors already?
Anyway, I would stick with Toyota rotors.
What do you prioritize from pads? OEM performance - stopping, dust, etc.? Akebono would have been a potential supplier & provide very similar pad performance to OEM. Let price determine between Akebono & OEM.
Note that you can get Toyota parts from online dealerships and save ~ 30%. Apologies if you already knew that & have that factored into your pricing.

Originally Posted by benjamming
What do you prioritize from pads? OEM performance - stopping, dust, etc.? Akebono would have been a potential supplier & provide very similar pad performance to OEM. Let price determine between Akebono & OEM.
Note that you can get Toyota parts from online dealerships and save ~ 30%. Apologies if you already knew that & have that factored into your pricing.

The rotors looks good to me but I read it's good idea to replace them. I'm on the fence if I should replace the rotors.

The factory pads are quiet, almost no dust, last long time, and work fine for my driving.

Yes, the cost is from a Toyota dealer on ebay. My local dealer wanted $100 for the pads and $30 for the shim kit. Pads with shim kit is $70 online

Toyota doesn't make pads. ID them, then get from the manufacturer brand if you must have the same thing, but the truth is, there are multiple brands that would do fine. It is not brand but TYPE of pad that you should consider, then compare the price of that type from each brand, at the suppliers you'd consider using.

Toyota do not manufacture brake pads, so there is no such thing as 'Genuine Toyota Brake Pads'.

They approach most or all of the pad manufacturers and ask who can commit to producing X million pairs for less than Y price - whoever can do it quickest/cheapest gets the contract. Somewhere along the production/distribution/retail line, a Toyota sticker is put on the box.

You can buy any pad that fits, and if you take the time to heat-cycle and bed the pad properly then it will be fine.

Remember that supply chains change all the time but recently we had a discussion in whihc it was deterined that Akebono make a lot of pads to order for Toyota
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1718216/toyota-brake-pad-questions

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99

The rotors looks good to me but I read it's good idea to replace them. I'm on the fence if I should replace the rotors.

The factory pads are quiet, almost no dust, last long time, and work fine for my driving.

Yes, the cost is from a Toyota dealer on ebay. My local dealer wanted $100 for the pads and $30 for the shim kit. Pads with shim kit is $70 online

Make sure the pads are not the 04465-AZXXX pads. Those are the TCMC Premium pads which are different than the factory originals.

https://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/04_BrakePads2019.pdf

Why not consider the Pagid RS line for better stopping power? Your brakes are your safety! Its your brakes that stop you from killing kids aas they run accross the road without looking. Brakes are joint first with tyres as the most important part of your vehicle, so you want the best brakes you can source on the open market.

Pagid RS or Carbon Lorraine give you the most stopping power - using anything less is just negligent.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Raybestos rotors and their EHT pads. Better than stock.

Yep I run these on many cars, including toyota. I like either the premium raybestos rotors or at least the coated ones.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Toyota pads are better than most OEM's in my experience. But if not them, I use Akebono.
Toyota's OEM brake pads are manufactured by Akebono.
I have been using Akebono brake pads for years and I strongly recommend them.

[The rotors looks good to me but I read it's good idea to replace them. I'm on the fence if I should replace the rotors.

Unless they are too thin or causing a pulsation, there is no need to. You read it's a good idea to replace them because parts stores and shops are in business sell parts and service. If you do replace them, make sure you clean the hub real good for any rust or corrosion.

In my (and other) case, the aftermarket Akebono product may be different than the Akebono OEM product. I don't know if the pad composition and braking attributes differ between the OEM style and aftermarket style.

MOPAR OEM Akebono ......................vs....................................Akebono aftermarket pad
[Linked Image from static.summitracing.com]
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Not all applications. My Toyota has Sumitomo pads as OE. Others have Advics.

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Toyota pads are better than most OEM's in my experience. But if not them, I use Akebono.
Toyota's OEM brake pads are manufactured by Akebono.
I have been using Akebono brake pads for years and I strongly recommend them.

I'd leave the rotors alone.

I'd get the premium line of pads from a Toyota Dealer. The dealers where I live have 2 different Toyota lines. One to compete with the non-OEM pads and then they have theirs.
Make sure you specify you don't want their cheaper pads.

Get the premium pad number and call around. You may be very surprised. Worst case, make sure your on line seller is a Toyota dealer.

The Critic has given you some great info!
Originally Posted by The Critic

Make sure the pads are not the 04465-AZXXX pads. Those are the TCMC Premium pads which are different than the factory originals.

https://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/04_BrakePads2019.pdf

I'd leave the rotors alone.

I'd get the premium line of pads from a Toyota Dealer. The dealers where I live have 2 different Toyota lines. One to compete with the non-OEM pads and then they have theirs.
Make sure you specify you don't want their cheaper pads.

Get the premium pad number and call around. You may be very surprised. Worst case, make sure your on line seller is a Toyota dealer.

The Critic has given you some great info!

Get the Power Stop coated rotors
smile.gif

The Centric and Wagner E-coated rotors are also good, but my first choice would be the Power Stop Geomet rotors.

Besides the Akebono and Advics pads, both of which are very good choices, Rock Auto also has the OE pads listed under Beck/Arnley. Wagner makes their OEX pads for your Camry as well as the Thermoquiet.

Out of the above choices, get whichever ones ship from the same warehouse

Advics also makes rotors for your car, but only for the rear. So when it's time to do the rear brakes, use Advics rotors

Back