Recent Topics
Peak Cool Orange no longer GM DEXCOOL Approved?
by Matt1980 - 05/26/20 08:10 PM
Mesh Router System - 160MHz Backhaul?
by JHZR2 - 05/26/20 08:06 PM
Downshift before WOT?
by Avery4 - 05/26/20 08:01 PM
Getting a free 1997 Chevy 1500 extended cab
by FADEC - 05/26/20 07:22 PM
Got new tires for the trailer today
by BeerCan - 05/26/20 07:06 PM
how much cca is necessary for a truck battery?
by apollo18 - 05/26/20 06:17 PM
Electric car charge cord review
by OVERKILL - 05/26/20 04:55 PM
faulty bosch right angle drill
by benjy - 05/26/20 04:14 PM
2017 Accord Hybrid Brake Fluid Flush
by Tundragod - 05/26/20 04:12 PM
06 GMC Hybrid
by hardheaded - 05/26/20 03:57 PM
98 Camry busted oil drain plug
by JeffKeryk - 05/26/20 03:31 PM
Picked up a used Honda Push Mower today
by redhat - 05/26/20 02:43 PM
Mevotech vs. MOOG
by pbm - 05/26/20 01:47 PM
Any experience with MU-MIX ?
by henni - 05/26/20 01:22 PM
RA code
by Koncrete_Cam - 05/26/20 12:12 PM
best alternative to a group 79? hopefully more cca
by apollo18 - 05/26/20 11:25 AM
Gas Prices Are Going Up
by BlueOvalFitter - 05/26/20 10:49 AM
Newest Members
Bruce_S, Rwogs, MechEnDawg, jimbacot, MowerVet
71537 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
123 registered members (2010Civic, 87sammy, 2015_PSD, 2003f7, 97prizm, 14Accent, 13 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 61 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics305,921
Posts5,282,787
Members71,537
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 #5378164 03/16/20 09:39 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,359
I
IndyFan Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,359
I've got a 99 Mercedes E430 Sport. I've always run Mobil 1 0w40 in it. My mechanic, who specializes in European cars, has switched to LiquiMoly 0w40 and was really hyping it up. I am sure it is outstanding oil, but The car has done perfectly well with Mobil1. Napa has M1 0w40 Euro formula on sale right now and with a free Coleman cooler deal, to boot, so I already know I'm going with M1, at least this time around.

I'm just curious what the Bitog hive thinks in a head to head matchup of these two oils.

Let the opinions fly!


18 Jeep JLUR Wrangler 3.6 31k
15 Ford Transit 129k, Reman 3.5 @85k
17 Jeep Renegade 2.4 29k
08 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 141k
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 111k
99 Mercedes E430 Sport 90k
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378188 03/16/20 10:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,132
M
mattwithcats Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,132
I found the Mobil 1 0W-40 to be average,

and the Pennzoil 0W-40 outstanding.

The Castrol 0W-40 was better than the Mobil1 , but not as good as the Pennzoil...

Have not used the Liqui Moly yet, got a 12 year stash of clearance oil I am working through...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-0W-40-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/245761151

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10933288&jsn=2104
Watch the shipping on Rock Auto, however...


2009 Smart Pure
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40, Wix XP 51356 filter, 45 mpg...
185/55R15 General HP tires, "H" speed rated, 44 psi (300 kpa)
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: mattwithcats] #5378189 03/16/20 10:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,359
I
IndyFan Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,359
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I found the Mobil 1 0W-40 to be average,

and the Pennzoil 0W-40 outstanding.

The Castrol 0W-40 was better than the Mobil1 , but not as good as the Pennzoil...

Have not used the Liqui Moly yet, got a 12 year stash of clearance oil I am working through...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-0W-40-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/245761151

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10933288&jsn=2104
Watch the shipping on Rock Auto, however...


In what way was the M1 not as good as the Pennzoil??


18 Jeep JLUR Wrangler 3.6 31k
15 Ford Transit 129k, Reman 3.5 @85k
17 Jeep Renegade 2.4 29k
08 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 141k
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 111k
99 Mercedes E430 Sport 90k
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378236 03/17/20 12:18 AM
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,910
Marco620 Offline
Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,910
Between the two,run the one that meets specs and price point. I'm sure they are fairly close.


15' Civic r18, 333,333 mi M1 0w30/5w30 & LG Biotech,Castrol CVT Fluid,Redline Si-1
Dog Whisperer! Honda/Acura nerd; detest ethanol,wind, and anything vegan.


Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378254 03/17/20 01:40 AM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,742
Y
Y_K Offline
Offline
Y
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,742
Worldpac sells the LM for a low price, and he gets his incentives on the sum total. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with the oils mentioned. Go by specs and your preferences.


“This disease making us more cruel to one another than if we are doggs.” -- Samuel Pepys 1666
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378263 03/17/20 02:51 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 21,847
The Critic Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 21,847
Amongst the Euro Mechanic crowd, for some unknown reason, most of them strongly endorse Liqui Moly.

And amongst the Japanese repair shops, Castrol seems to have the same level of support.

Not sure why - both brands do not offer anything special IMO.


2011 Toyota Prius 1.8L - 207K - Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30
2007 Honda Accord 2.4L - 146K - Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10W-30
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378306 03/17/20 06:00 AM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,132
M
mattwithcats Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,132
More fun...

I think there are three versions of the Mobil 1, a Euro, a Truck, and a vanilla plain, used in dealer bulk tanks...
I know there are two, because the Dealer put the truck version in and it ran like crap.
Drained and refilled with Euro oil, it ran much better...

On the Castrol, both the 0W-30 and the 0W-40 use the same additive package, just different viscosity...

The Pennzoil is even more fun, there is a 0W-40 and a 5W-40.
Both use the same additive package, and both are marked under other names, Shell Helix, Quaker State Euro, and for the Canadians, Motormaster Euro...
Strangely, the 0W-40 ran better than the 5W-40..,

Normally, a three cylinder engine runs like a cement mixer filled with bowling balls,
Instead of each piston stroke being 90 degrees from the next, it is 120 degrees...
The Pennzoil 0W-40 gave me the least vibration, and smoothest ride...


2009 Smart Pure
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40, Wix XP 51356 filter, 45 mpg...
185/55R15 General HP tires, "H" speed rated, 44 psi (300 kpa)
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378307 03/17/20 06:01 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,359
I
IndyFan Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,359
Does the LiquiMoly have a higher percentage of PAO base stock? I've heard M1 0w40's newer formulations have reduced the percentage of PAO. Maybe that's why the Euromechanics have moved that way. My guy (he's German, btw) used to really push M1.

Last edited by IndyFan; 03/17/20 06:02 AM.

18 Jeep JLUR Wrangler 3.6 31k
15 Ford Transit 129k, Reman 3.5 @85k
17 Jeep Renegade 2.4 29k
08 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 141k
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 111k
99 Mercedes E430 Sport 90k
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: mattwithcats] #5378308 03/17/20 06:05 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,359
I
IndyFan Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,359
Originally Posted by mattwithcats
More fun...

I think there are three versions of the Mobil 1, a Euro, a Truck, and a vanilla plain, used in dealer bulk tanks...
I know there are two, because the Dealer put the truck version in and it ran like crap.
Drained and refilled with Euro oil, it ran much better...

On the Castrol, both the 0W-30 and the 0W-40 use the same additive package, just different viscosity...

The Pennzoil is even more fun, there is a 0W-40 and a 5W-40.
Both use the same additive package, and both are marked under other names, Shell Helix, Quaker State Euro, and for the Canadians, Motormaster Euro...
Strangely, the 0W-40 ran better than the 5W-40..,

Normally, a three cylinder engine runs like a cement mixer filled with bowling balls,
Instead of each piston stroke being 90 degrees from the next, it is 120 degrees...
The Pennzoil 0W-40 gave me the least vibration, and smoothest ride...


Lol, how many miles do you have on that car? I've always thought those things were pretty neat.


18 Jeep JLUR Wrangler 3.6 31k
15 Ford Transit 129k, Reman 3.5 @85k
17 Jeep Renegade 2.4 29k
08 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 141k
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 111k
99 Mercedes E430 Sport 90k
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378323 03/17/20 06:30 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,401
T
Trav Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 23,401
There is nothing at all special about LM its a decent oil. The Mobil 1 0w40 is good oil and proven over many years to protect well and keep engines clean.
Forget the percent of base stock this that and the other, today the oils are so good it doesn't really mater.


ASE L1, Master. Deutsch Meisterbrief.
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378345 03/17/20 07:18 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,021
B
BMWTurboDzl Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,021
Originally Posted by IndyFan
I've got a 99 Mercedes E430 Sport. I've always run Mobil 1 0w40 in it. My mechanic, who specializes in European cars, has switched to LiquiMoly 0w40 and was really hyping it up. I am sure it is outstanding oil, but The car has done perfectly well with Mobil1. Napa has M1 0w40 Euro formula on sale right now and with a free Coleman cooler deal, to boot, so I already know I'm going with M1, at least this time around.

I'm just curious what the Bitog hive thinks in a head to head matchup of these two oils.

Let the opinions fly!



LM primarily markets to euro supplier and repair shops in the US. Perhaps your mechanic just finished watching a presentation? I admit that some of their products have intrigued me.

IMO the general opinion of it on BITOG is that it is priced a little high vs the competition.

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 03/17/20 07:19 AM.

“It took untold generations to get you where you are. A little gratitude might be in order. If you’re going to insist on bending the world to your way, you better have your reasons.”

435i
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378355 03/17/20 07:28 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 516
T
TiGeo Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 516
LM user here, works fine and I won't say it's any better than anything else with the same approvals. LM only makes one oil in the 0W40 weight, Synthoil Energy A40 which does not have any of the MB approvals - only "recommended for". Their 5W40 oil Leichtlauf High Tech is likely the more appropriate oil with the MB approval for your carr.


2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 3.6 - Castrol OE 5W40 VW filter
2018 VW GSW S 4Motion 1.8 Unitronic St2 IS20 - LiquiMoly 5W40 VW filter+Ceratec/MoS2
2013 Ford Focus SE HB 2.0 - MC syn-blend 5W20 MC filter
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: The Critic] #5378366 03/17/20 07:47 AM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,832
U
UncleDave Online Content
Online Content
U
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,832
Originally Posted by The Critic
Amongst the Euro Mechanic crowd, for some unknown reason, most of them strongly endorse Liqui Moly.

And amongst the Japanese repair shops, Castrol seems to have the same level of support.

Not sure why - both brands do not offer anything special IMO.



The Japanese guys in Nor Cal like Idemitsu products.

Although not a 0W their 5W-40 carries

Specifications & Approvals
ACEA A3/B4-12 (-10, -08)
API SN/CF
MB 229.5*
Volkswagen VW50500 (2005)*
Opel GM-LL-A-025*
Porsche A40*
Renault RN0710*
ACEA A5/B5-12 (-10, -08)
MB 229.3*
Volkswagen VW50200 (2005)*
BMW Longlife-01*
Opel GM-LL-B-025*
Renault RN0700*


Uncle Dave
Cat 3126/2 MB3500/Titan/RX400H/17 Ridgeline
700HP V10/ 725HP BBC/ Raptor 700/ KFX450/ YZ250/Onan 8K/ Cat3011C
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: Trav] #5378370 03/17/20 07:52 AM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 42,220
O
OVERKILL Online Content
Online Content
O
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 42,220
Originally Posted by Trav
There is nothing at all special about LM its a decent oil. The Mobil 1 0w40 is good oil and proven over many years to protect well and keep engines clean.
Forget the percent of base stock this that and the other, today the oils are so good it doesn't really mater.


This.


2019 RAM 1500 Sport - Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, FRAM Ultra
2020 Grand Cherokee SRT - Ravenol SSL 0w-40, FRAM Ultra
Re: Mobil1 0w40 vs LiquiMoly 0w40 [Re: IndyFan] #5378572 03/17/20 11:40 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,601
edyvw Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 9,601
Originally Posted by IndyFan
Does the LiquiMoly have a higher percentage of PAO base stock? I've heard M1 0w40's newer formulations have reduced the percentage of PAO. Maybe that's why the Euromechanics have moved that way. My guy (he's German, btw) used to really push M1.

No! Liqui Moly was one of the earliest adopters of Group III oils in the end of 1990's and as usual, like with every LM product, they tried to sell it as something special.
I used long time ago Liqui Moly in Europe, long before it was available in the US. It was always OK at best oil, but nowehere near Mobi1 Castrol, Shell, Total, Selenia, etc.


11' BMW 328i xDrive 6MT (Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40+ MANN filter)
11' VW Tiguan 2.0T (Castrol 0W30+OE filter)
15' Toyota Sienna AWD (Mobil1 5W30 EP+OE filter).
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™