Favorite Airplane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
The B17 Flying Fortress. My dad served in the 8th Air Force, 96th bomb group, based out of Snetterton Heath, England. Nearly 5,000 (!) B17s were shot down. To this day there are still ~50,000 8th Air Force MIAs. Insane...

Scott

Snetterton Heath is no longer an airfield, it is now a race track. A lot of WWII airfields became racetracks after the war, and I have 4 within easy distance of my house
smile.gif

My personal favorite has always been the Beechcraft Staggerwing.

[Linked Image]

Full disclosure, this is not my picture.

I'd have to vote for the DH.88 Comet as a personal favorite.

[Linked Image]

The De Havilland Mosquito is up there (and also somewhat of a descendant of the Comet)

Also, the Monocope 90 is a nice looking airplane along with the Cessna 195...

Okay, let's be honest, I guess I like most airplanes!

The B17 is Definitely my favorite. It is an amazing airplane. I actually have 2 absolute favorites. The queen of the skies. The 747 is what I would have to say the most awesome plane in the sky.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slug_bug
SR-71 Blackbird!
[Linked Image]

I agree. My uncle worked on it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Taken at Blackbird Airpark in Palmdale, CA

Great additional pics of the Ag plane.... Very interesting wing on that airplane.

Also great seeing some of the Golden Age aircraft here. Lots of timeless designs, beautiful lines on the Vega, Alpha, Howards, Gee Bees...

Originally Posted by SEMI_287
Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I give you the MD-80:

[Linked Image from fearlessflight.com]

I've always wanted to fly the MD-80. I've always wondered what would have been MDD chose the CFM56 and not the JT8D-200.

Try to do so ASAP, it's getting hard to find any still in service domestically here. And watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs

Here is my scratch built Blackbird.4' long twin electric Depron foamie. Nicknamed the Ron Jeremy lol. Got 1 flight but needs more elevon area and the launch is "challenging" as it needs some takeoff speed. My attempt with a bungee launch did not go well. But it flew once and it is a beauty, I think.

DSCF0204.JPG

DSCF0206.JPG

DSCF0208.JPG

Originally Posted by SEMI_287
I give you the MD-80:

[Linked Image from fearlessflight.com]

I've always wanted to fly the MD-80. I've always wondered what would have been MDD chose the CFM56 and not the JT8D-200.

Try to do so ASAP, it's getting hard to find any still in service domestically here. And watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs

I've been a passenger hundreds of times. My most unfavorite "cross country" (ATL-TUC) was in the back of one. I mean actually fly one.

As far as military planes go, SR-71 all the way.

My favorite commercial plane has always been the 727. I flew on Eastern 727s a lot as a child (born in '70) and took my last flight on one in 1996 when I had just started my job as a flight attendant with Delta. First Class on those planes was great, IMO. Barely a whisper from those Whisper Jets when you're sitting all the way up front (post hush kit), but the takeoff power could be felt just the same. More elegant tri-jet styling than the DC-10 / MD-11. Was sad to see them retire. I fell in love with flying as a kid aboard a 727.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
As far as military planes go, SR-71 all the way.

My favorite commercial plane has always been the 727. I flew on Eastern 727s a lot as a child (born in '70) and took my last flight on one in 1996 when I had just started my job as a flight attendant with Delta. First Class on those planes was great, IMO. Barely a whisper from those Whisper Jets when you're sitting all the way up front (post hush kit), but the takeoff power could be felt just the same. More elegant tri-jet styling than the DC-10 / MD-11. Was sad to see them retire. I fell in love with flying as a kid aboard a 727.

I flew on a 727 from San Francisco to Pittsburg Pa, back in 1986 the plane was full and it was a really nice ride. I don't travel much as you can tell..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back