Take my car to the dealership or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after randomly looking under my car the other day, I saw an oily substance on my right front tire. I looked closer and saw that my caliper was leaking. I felt no difference in my brake pedal. My fluid did get a little low, but I thought that's because of brake pad wear

I have a GMEPP warranty on my car so I was going to take a trip to the dealer a few blocks away from me. I walked there and spoke with the service advisor and I can bring it in this week.

Then I was thinking: I live in NYC and everyone is urging everyone to stay home because of Coronavirus and avoid crowded places. All my friends are working from home and a lot of people are staying at home. Lots of places around the city are mostly empty.

I feel a bit bad for the service advisors and mechanics at the dealership who seem forced to go to work. At the dealership, I didn't see any signs of it being less busy than usual. I don't want to create work for someone when its better for everyone to stay home.

So should I take it in this week? Or wait until this Coronavirus thing in NYC dies down a bit. My car isn't a daily driver and I use it on the weekends for fun.

It's really your choice. Car dealerships will be the last businesses to close. You aren't creating a situation that keeps dealer employees at work, the owner of the dealer will try to keep it open as long as they can regardless.

Last edited:
I'd take it in. You can walk home and walk back to pick it up. Spray the steering wheel with Lysol or alcohol if you're worried when you pick it up. Leaky brakes aren't something I'd wait on.

If techs showed up for work then that is how they make a living. Techs only get paid if there's a car in stall so I will say if you don't need it right away I would bring it in and if they have a key dropbox that might be a better alternative. Bring it in after shop closes but before sales close, then no contact is needed. Just a thought.

With public transport being, well, public and air travel less appealing, personal vehicles are going to be the last best form of travel.

It'll be up to the service industry, both dealers and independent auto repair facilities, and parts providers, OEM and aftermarket, to keep people in motion. At this point, nobody is bringing their car in for a squeak or rattle. If a vehicle is rolling into the shop, it's there because somebody is depending on it and needs it fixed. Bless the people coming into work everyday to fix them, the support staff that makes it happens, and everyone in the logistics chain.

You're not going and sitting in a hot yoga class breathing other peoples coughs. Take it in and maintain proper distance from folks there. Wash your hands a lot...it's still the best way to avoid any bacteria or virus.

Originally Posted by A_User55555
I feel a bit bad for the service advisors and mechanics at the dealership who seem forced to go to work. At the dealership, I didn't see any signs of it being less busy than usual. I don't want to create work for someone when its better for everyone to stay home.

They have bills to pay like everyone else. Their job isn't like many white collar jobs that can be done from the home internetting room. Unlikely they could catch the virus from a car, especially since they wear gloves all the time. And it's not like any of them are over 70 in the high risk group.

The last people that will remain working are people at the dealer...absolute worst business to be in, they literally could care less about their employees. Worst benefits. Worst pay (out of the trade career areas). And worst working conditions.

Originally Posted by Donald
I would ask if you can drive it into the bay. Maybe they can do the work without actually getting into your car.

There's probably much more liability involved in a customer driving into the shop than the possibility of transmission of coronavirus via vehicle service. The dealer's insurance probably forbids it.

If you are comfortable with it, not infected, not supposed to be quarantined, and the dealer is open, just do it. We'll be open even during a zombie apocalypse. "NO WE'RE NOT CLOSING EARLY, WHAT IF A ZOMBIE WANTS TO BUY A CAR?"

Also, once GM assigns a part number to coronavirus, you won't be able to get it.
grin.gif

Last edited:
If you value being able to stop, get it fixed ASAP.
Alternatively, if you dont mind crashing due to brake failure you can leave it another week or two.

Get it fixed now, be responsible and use common sense. Your brakes are only going to get worse over time, not better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Railrust
The last people that will remain working are people at the dealer...absolute worst business to be in, they literally could care less about their employees. Worst benefits. Worst pay (out of the trade career areas). And worst working conditions.

You seem to be the Shell answer man.

I would go. Actually, out of concern/scare/panic/precaution, most folks are at home but still, some folks need to go to work (medical professionals esp). Almost every workplace is keeping sick employees at home. It is actually a lot safer to go out now, just don't take a cab or Uber home. If somebody you know can give you a ride, that will be the best solution.

I would talk to the service advisor first, with the pictures, if possible, so that you spend less time face-to-face.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Get it fixed now, be responsible and use common sense. Your brakes are only going to get worse over time, not better.

X1000.

Originally Posted by Railrust

I work at a car dealership.
Good pay, good bosses, good working conditions - we have a group of 10+ dealerships.
Same for all of them.
My 2 cents.

I have watched the young turn old at our dealerships ...
They are not having turn over in blue or white collar positions
These guys only own one or two dealerships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back