Good hands free DI cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I have bought the CRC brand in the past but that requires 2 people, one on the gas and one under the hood spraying.

I just found this stuff on Amazon and it appears to be a 1 person job... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSMH078/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Good stuff? How often should DI owners be running this?

Get a snow brush that fits between the front of the drivers seat and the gas pedal. Fit it so the gas pedal accelerates between 2-3 grand when spraying the 2.4 GDI intake. I've don't this numerous times in 16 years with my Colorado. Not sure about my GDI yet. But I'm about to find out. Give it short spurts as rapidly as it takes to keep the engine running.

This method only requires one person. Yesterday I bought Seafoam spray with the long red, very thin straw that supposedly will let me keep the intake hose loosened, but mostly in a unclamped, closed position. That should allow the engine to run a little smoother when spraying - hope that it won't stall the idle as easy.

I plan on doing my Hyundai just prior to it's 12K OCI. All my oil changes with it are every 4K. So my plan is to spray the intake with a half-can every 12k. Someday I may need to increase the dosage to one full can of spray. I'm hoping never.

Last edited:
I think I watched a video one time where a guy got a length of hose long enough to attach to the brake booster line so that he could sit in the drivers seat and rev the car to 2-3k while spraying in the CRC cleaner, he put a rubber stopper in the end of the hose with a hole just big enough to fit the straw in.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Good stuff? How often should DI owners be running this?

Never? If you try to get it clean in one shot that pulls the deposits through the engine, you'll eventually ruin your cats because it comes off in larger chunks than if it were never accumulating in the first place. It can also jam up the piston rings so you burn more oil, and suffer from blowby and oil contamination.

Someone stating they did this to a non-DI engine for a long time, isn't contradictory because non-DI doesn't build up deposits anywhere near the same rate. It is not magic in a can. It's a short term solution that causes more long term problems than if you waited and did a proper intake/valve cleaning that does not push those chunks further into the engine.

If your auto manufacturer disagrees and prescribes using it, follow their recommendation. Are there any that recommend this? If you use it otherwise and cause engine problems, that SHOULD, rightfully void your warranty if still under one. I'm not stating it would make me happy that anyone suffers loss, it's not like it's a "you deserve it" lesson, not at all, just that gummy sludge is something you do not want to pull through a modern engine.

Last edited:
you are NOT going to clean the VALVES!! cleaners can help injectors spray better but top tier gas is said to do the same.

Originally Posted by benjy
you are NOT going to clean the VALVES!! cleaners can help injectors spray better but top tier gas is said to do the same.

The additive in question doesn't run through the injectors.

Originally Posted by benjy

Except gas doesn't touch the valves in a DI engine. thus why this product is developed.

In line with what Dave9 said, unnecessary loading of the catalytic converters is what would concern me with frequent use of spray cleaners. Secondly, are these products really going to do anything for DI engine intake valve build-up?

Regardless, it's on my mind given I own a Nissan with the VQ35DD and haven't done a thing engine-wise aside from oil/filter changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back