Castrol 0W-30?

Three of my local pep boys stores are closing. I was surprised to see 0W-30 on the shelf. I picked up 20qts at $3.00 each. Is this old stock?

1584385214076183861539.jpg

1584385237584651062854.jpg

SL? As in before SM? That can't be that old with that logo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

It's currently SL...

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

It's currently SL...

I'm not on the up and up with Euro stuff

It's currently SL...

All my cars are old so SL will do. I think SM leaves less deposits. Still wondering if they got it from a wharehouse sitting for years.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
That's the Belgian 0W30, that replaced the famous German 0W30. Still good stuff, though.

I guess I will see if I can find some more. looks like I got the "Castrol Virus! again.

Originally Posted by zmelli

It's currently SL...

All my cars are old so SL will do. I think SM leaves less deposits. Still wondering if they got it from a wharehouse sitting for years.

Pretty much ANY PB qualifies as a warehouse where it's been sitting for years, their synthetic motor oil prices have been non-competitive 99.9% of the time!

on the castrol turkey site there are 2 types of 0W-30 edge C3 products:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

the "plain" edge can be found easily on online stores; however edge professional cannot be.

i checked their PDSs and there is difference.

also 0W-30 edge professional does not exist on UK and DE castrol sites (if i saw that correctly)

what do you think of the diff between two? almost similar products or totally different?

Last edited:
well... one is c3 and the other is A5. Two diffrent oils. The homepage is to blame for the mess. Really confusing homepage.... really a mess.

It's currently SL...

its a acea a3 in the viscosity xx-30... so it cant be a api Sn for example... more detail info you will find in this forum why its a api sl.

It's currently SL...

It's current.
It is SL due to ZDDP content.
It is better than anything that is based on SN or SN+ strictly. Euro manufacturers do not care about API that much.

The OP was posting from the USA. The 0W-30 info posted from Turkey has no relevance.

What the OP has is a euro oil with a long history. "German Castrol" was its original moniker. Then production moved to Belgium and it became "Belgian Castrol" or "Euro Castrol". It's had formulation changes over the 20 years it's been sold, but it has always earned a good reputation.

This "Euro Castrol " oil is an ACEA A3/B4 oil that satisfies some of the very latest MB, BMW, VW, and others. Many Chevy LS V8 guys use Euro Castrol (do not confuse the OP's oil question with the Turkish oil!!!!). The fact that it's SL rated means it has higher ZDDP levels than with SM or SN oil.

I've been using it in my fleet of German cars for over 15 years. My cars love the stuff.

There is a German Castrol sticky. Check it out.

Scott

op,

That oil is $10/qt. on Amazon.
I wanted to buy it couple of times but didn't due to the price.
It's a very good oil and you got an excellent deal.

on Amazon Search for:
Castrol 06244 EDGE A3/B4 0W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil

1 Quart, 6 Pack $58.56

I'm going to check couple of pep boys in our area see if I can get it at that price.
grin2.gif

I saw a new bottle design Castrol 0w30 A3 (Belgium) today at Pepboys.

Back