Toyo Tundra 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Looking to pick which oil to use for 7500 miles OCI, this is about 3 to 4 months i run.

Is Castrol Ultra Clean 0w20 (white bottle) can go 7500 miles? Or do you guys recommend go with Castrol magnatec or m1 advance? Or nah, just go with M1 Ext performance or Edge?

Oil : 0w20 or 5w20

It's a Toyota and will last forever on your OCI using SuperTech. Have no fear using Castrol Ultra Clean 0w20.

I tend to agree, outside of some sludgers I don't think Toyota's care all that much. Two of mine get ST, and my Tundra will likely get that at the next oil change.

Is yours flex fuel? I recall some debate over if the FF 5.7's could run 10k OCI at all--I want to say the owners manual wasn't clear on the subject. I don't have a FF so I run an OCI between 5 and 10k, depending on my mood (at 8 quarts and no towing I'm not worried about going to 10k on synthetic).

With the price of full synthetics, if you're doing 7500 why not just go FS. Take your pick.

Been running Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0w-20 for years in both my Tundras. I like it for its high moly content. I have great analysis results from Blackstone. Now that I have a contact at a Toyota dealer I get it for 2.90/quart. Before that I had the price down to 4.25/quart retail.

Originally Posted by Tundra73
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
hmm, why not 5w-30 or 0w-40?

Because it calls for 0w20...

I think mine is more quiet on 5W30. Less tappity. Very subjective of course. I might go back to 0W20 as I rarely work the truck hard, but IIRC the manual indicates that a thicker grade is acceptable if towing.

5w30 Pennzoil Platinum. Right around $22 (five quart jug) at Walmart.
The suggestion to move up to 5w30 is fine. It fits well inside of Texas.

Last edited:
Theres two million mile Tundras on Youtube..

Thats easily 100 if not 200 oil changes.. so my guess is bulk oil whatever and run it.

I use either 5/20 or 0/20, synthetic Mobil 1. I change the oil every 10,000 miles. The truck drives and looks like brand new. Enjoy the ride.

just like every Toyota, but runs better on higher viscosity

[sarc] From what I understand, that engine will survive to 400,000 miles without any oil or coolant at all, in fact, some say it will even run without any spark plugs! They are in fact, that good! [sarc]

Of course, it's a very well built engine and will give you great service with any reasonable maintenance interval. With that in mind, why not use M1, as it's available everywhere, for a reasonable price, and will completely prevent any risk of piston ring sticking that can happen with extended drain intervals on conventional oils.

Last edited:
My 5.7 runs whatever clearance/sale syn + OEM filter @5k intervals. Just easier to remember to do since that's the programmed dummy light. Was ST syn for awhile. Now it's going to be a running RGT for a couple years with the stashed I picked up in Dec.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Cujet
[sarc] From what I understand, that engine will survive to 400,000 miles without any oil or coolant at all, in fact, some say it will even run without any spark plugs! They are in fact, that good! [sarc]

Of course, it's a very well built engine and will give you great service with any reasonable maintenance interval. With that in mind, why not use M1, as it's available everywhere, for a reasonable price, and will completely prevent any risk of piston ring sticking that can happen with extended drain intervals on conventional oils.

Piston ring sticking is pretty common on a Toyota using inferior oil.

Originally Posted by Cujet

Piston ring sticking is pretty common on a Toyota using inferior oil.

Without opening-up a can of worms and citing inferior oils by name or grade, which are your three favorite non-inferiors?

just like every Toyota, but runs better on higher viscosity

No, it doesn't. What proof do you have of this? What does "it runs better" mean? LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back