Why are 20" and 21" tires so much more $$$ than 17-18" tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. There isn't more rubber on the larger diameter wheel size tires, in fact there's less rubber because they have shorter sidewalls. Is it more costly to manufacture tires with a larger diameter hole in the middle? Makes no sense...

Last edited:
Economies of scale.

17-18" tires are much more common and therefore produced in higher quantities than 20-21" tires. As you produce more, the cost per unit gets driven down and then sold at a lower price point.

Originally Posted by grampi
I don't get it. There isn't more rubber on the larger diameter wheel size tires, in fact there's less rubber because they have shorter sidewalls. Is it more costly to manufacture tires with a larger diameter hole in the middle? Makes no sense...

It is lower profile tire, which means sidewall have to be stronger to deal with same imperfections on the road. Also, those tires are usually higher performance category which means different rubber compound. Granted, more and more appliance vehicles are venturing into that category, and they are definitely cheaper than before, but still lower volume, higher performance and more complex product.

Same reason 17-18" tires are much more expensive that 13-14"

Actually even finding 13" tires for my Mazda is becoming difficult. I have a feeling those tire sizes will get more expensive.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Actually even finding 13" tires for my Mazda is becoming difficult. I have a feeling those tire sizes will get more expensive.

Boy back in the day I remember getting a set of 155/80/13 tires for under $100. Slightly over $100 after mounting and balancing, but that was a long time ago.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Economies of scale.

17-18" tires are much more common and therefore produced in higher quantities than 20-21" tires. As you produce more, the cost per unit gets driven down and then sold at a lower price point.

Can't directly dispute this-but I will mention that many pickups come with 20's and we know how many the big three sell of those things.

Why would you think there's less rubber? It's fairly obvious the larger tires require more material just by the weight difference. Demand also impacts cost. Unique tire sizes have limited demand which drives up cost per unit. A unique size can be large or small vs the population.

PS A/S 3+:
245/45R20 - 30 lbs
245/45R18 - 28 lbs

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Why would you think there's less rubber? It's fairly obvious the larger tires require more material just by the weight difference. Demand also impacts cost. Unique tire sizes have limited demand which drives up cost per unit. A unique size can be large or small vs the population.

PS A/S 3+:
245/45R20 - 30 lbs
245/45R18 - 28 lbs

I guess the bigger hole in the middle of the tire adds extra weight...
shocked2.gif

PS A/S 3+:
245/45R20 - 30 lbs
245/45R18 - 28 lbs

shocked2.gif

I also just wanted to apologize for my condescending answer.

PS A/S 3+:
245/45R20 - 30 lbs
245/45R18 - 28 lbs

You aren't comparing tires of the same size, the 20" is 2" taller

You need to go to a 245/55 18 to get the same diameter to compare the weight.

PS A/S 3+:
245/45R20 - 30 lbs
245/45R18 - 28 lbs

shocked2.gif

I also just wanted to apologize for my condescending answer.

10.gif

PS A/S 3+:
245/45R20 - 30 lbs
245/45R18 - 28 lbs

shocked2.gif

245/45R20 has larger overall diameter and circumference than 245/45R18, so more rubber is needed on the outside.

Now, if we're talking about a tire with the same overall outside diameter, just different inner diameter, then yes, the one with less sidewall should weigh less, unless that shorter sidewall is further reinforced, say like 245/55R18 vs 245/45R20.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

PS A/S 3+:
245/45R20 - 30 lbs
245/45R18 - 28 lbs

shocked2.gif

245/45R20 has larger overall diameter and circumference than 245/45R18, so more rubber is needed on the outside.

It does, but I was comparing tires that would have the same overall TIRE diameter. For example a 245/65/R18 to a 245/40/R20. In this case there would be less rubber required for the 20" tire vs the 18" tire, while overall tire diameter would be about the same...

The drivers willing to get by with 17-18 inch tires do not want to spend any extra.

Owners of cars with big tires, but the main purpose for the majority is for the way the truck or SUV looks with the big tires. They will pay whatever it costs to get those big tires. Tire manufacturers and dealers will charge as much as people are willing to pay, and those big tires are in demand.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Economies of scale.

That's why the 2 people needing 13" tires pay $35

Originally Posted by SeaJay
The drivers willing to get by with 17-18 inch tires do not want to spend any extra..

The opposite. It's not getting by, it's a more appropriate decision for public roads and that's why it is the more popular one.

Low profile tires are inferior in most ways except recovery from reckless driving events. This is why they are less popular, need to be built to withstand higher stresses, and tend to cost more for warranty coverage. It all adds up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SeaJay
The drivers willing to get by with 17-18 inch tires do not want to spend any extra.

Owners of cars with big tires, but the main purpose for the majority is for the way the truck or SUV looks with the big tires. They will pay whatever it costs to get those big tires. Tire manufacturers and dealers will charge as much as people are willing to pay, and those big tires are in demand.

I bought 4 Cooper tires at Discount Tire a couple of weeks ago. They had a sign at the counter "tires and wheels for rent...pay weekly" . I'm thinking....not good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back