Race fuel in small engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Been toying around with the idea of buying a small supply of Sunoco Optima 95 for use in small engines that see very little use over the course of a year. It advertises a shelf life of several YEARS. So... I live in the middle of nowhere and of course it's not available but there's a shop that'll sell me Sunoco Standard 110 octane leaded gas. Similar shelf life. Keep in mind. NO VP gas in my area. The ONLY thing available is the Sunoco 110 Standard. Economically there is not another viable option. (Shipping is a thing and gas is not only heavy but a hazardous material) This will be for a pressure washer, to sit in the generator, for who knows how long it'll sit before I need it again, 2 stroke gas, and a few other small engines that might get used frequently in fair weather but not for long periods of time. For example. I'll get my pressure washer out on a weekly basis but It's unlikely that I'll burn more than a tank a year on it. Two at most. Then it sits for another winter. Do you know how little fuel a Stihl weed eater uses?! Curious on thoughts?

Why not just buy the smaller quart/gallon metal cans of ethanol-free OPC fuel from a Lowe's, Home Depot, etc? It should be WAY cheaper than 110 leaded, plus why breathe in leaded fumes if you don't need to? Plus, since it comes in quarts, only buy a couple and use them as needed until you can guesstimate your yearly usage.

I'd use the canned stuff first, then the 95, then local E0 (or use the dyed water trick to remove most of the ethanol) with some Stabil Marine 360, and not even mess with the leaded race fuel. That high of octane will be very hard to burn in the low-compression engines you're discussing and I'd avoid that choice at all costs.

Or, simply only add enough fuel for the task at hand and leave the tank dry in between uses, and every 3-6 months dump your remaining gas can contents into your vehicle and refresh it from the pump.

race fuel is still fuel, just better quality and the size of the engine does not matter.

buy normal fuel and remove the ethanol from it?

Originally Posted by Clayslayer
Ok. Been toying around with the idea of buying a small supply of Sunoco Optima 95 for use in small engines that see very little use over the course of a year. It advertises a shelf life of several YEARS. So... I live in the middle of nowhere and of course it's not available but there's a shop that'll sell me Sunoco Standard 110 octane leaded gas. Similar shelf life. Keep in mind. NO VP gas in my area. The ONLY thing available is the Sunoco 110 Standard. Economically there is not another viable option. (Shipping is a thing and gas is not only heavy but a hazardous material) This will be for a pressure washer, to sit in the generator, for who knows how long it'll sit before I need it again, 2 stroke gas, and a few other small engines that might get used frequently in fair weather but not for long periods of time. For example. I'll get my pressure washer out on a weekly basis but It's unlikely that I'll burn more than a tank a year on it. Two at most. Then it sits for another winter. Do you know how little fuel a Stihl weed eater uses?! Curious on thoughts?

I would not use leaded gas. Bad for the enc environment and most likely your engine.

I don't see any benefit running race fuel in a low compression engine.

BTW...Gasoline today, with or w/out ethanol, goes stale in a couple of weeks.

Here in Central Illinois Casey's sells 91 premium with no ethanol. As far as I've read, with most 2 cycle motors it's recommend to use premium for best performance. And the zero ethanol will make the fuel lines last. It's what I use for my 2 cycles and my Gen Coupe turbo.

I keep fuel for 6 months easily. Usually fill 15 gallons in jugs before winter after done mowing. I use out of date fuel treatment. Then usually fill two more times during the summer with no treatment.

I use regular up to 10% gas in my two string trimmers.back pack blower 2 lawn mowers pressure washer. 2 line movers and generator some are 20 years old with out problems why do people have a problem?

Originally Posted by Olas
race fuel is still fuel, just better quality and the size of the engine does not matter.

Why would you run expensive race fuel in an engine that is not designed to run on something with such high octane?

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Why would you run expensive race fuel in an engine that is not designed to run on something with such high octane?

Why would you want to run or put something in your engine, most knowingly small engines that causes adverse effects. If one has ways, and means and it doesn't adversely effect them.....why not?

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I run 110 octane fuel, in an engine that'll run fine on 87, because it's more consistent than pump fuel, has a faster burn rate, and has a leaner stoich.

Originally Posted by CT8
I use regular up to 10% gas in my two string trimmers.back pack blower 2 lawn mowers pressure washer. 2 line movers and generator some are 20 years old with out problems why do people have a problem?

I have a Craftsman pressure washer from the 90's I would guess. it's got a Briggs and Stratton motor. But you cannot drain the gas tank all the way. Nor can you run the engine to completely drain it. Even if you take the tank off, which is pretty involved due to the carb sitting on it and the linkage, you still cannot get all the gas out. You have to use an air hose and rag. It's a terrible design.

But using ethanol it will slowly fill with water until it gets to where the fuel pickup starts sucking it up. About a 1/4" will be in the tank. Then you have to disassemble it to get it all out. PITA for something that seldom gets used. So I put in a drain plug. Don't think it will hold though once the engine vibration kicks in as the metal tank is pretty thin.

And the rotting fuel lines. But I assume they are gasoline safe but not alcohol.

Alright. Some of you missed the purpose. I want to use race gas because it's a higher quality fuel that will last on the shelf for over three years. I'm not looking for power gain. I can buy it by the gallon for about $7 and put it in my own cans. High price maybe but the low usage will mean that I really won't spend much at all on it. The "leaded" part is exactly the same as gas sold in the 60s. Not a problem. None of the pull stuff I have has a cat anyway.

I want to store all my crap over the winter without worry. I want everything to start in the spring just like it did when I put it away. That's all.

Those who are recommending removing the ethanol from pump gas?! Are you out of your mind?! You got the fire department on speed dial?

In an age where a bottle of fuel stabilizer is under $10 and perfectly functional replacement China carburetors can be had for under $20, I see no reason to be concerned about $7 fuel.

Lots of not so smart things mentioned so far.

The only problem with leaded fuel in this application is that it may tend to lead foul the plugs. This was a small hassle in 2 strokes back when that was the only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back