295/65/18” Alternatives, Same Wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a used Tundra, 2014, mostly for Son to use. It has larger Wranglers on it now, about 1/3 tread left. The problem is the ride, slight vibration, which I think is tire related. It's good enough for right now. I checked psi, kinda high, plan to try a rotation too.

The wheels are KD aftermarket. I would like to go towards a more road friendly, all season type, Michelin ‘Defender' or similar. I would also like to reduce the tread width, but then a tad more height to the sidewall. That may be asking a lot.

Is there an easy way to know what alternative 18" tires may fit this wheel? Beyond that, ideas to go towards a more common, quieter, narrower, & taller tire?

Thanks. So far I come up with 275/70/18"?

11937657-FBFB-4516-AC16-425F511EAD09.jpeg

0D70160B-80AA-4925-8481-BCF73047F7E8.jpeg

Last edited:
What was OE sizing? Perhaps consider going back to that if the size on there is obnoxious.

I'd suspect there are more mild mannered highway tread tires in the OE size.

Do you know the width of the wheel? For example, General Tire says the acceptable width for the 245/45r20 is 7.5"-9".

Not sure about width of wheel, I see 9 or 10" advertised. If 9" I think I'd be ok with slightly narrower tires.

Thanks Skippy, if 9" I should be alright with same wheels.

I'd rather use the same wheels(cost), ideally put 275/70/R18 tires on. That cuts about .5 off the width, then is a smidgen taller.

Not sure about original wheels for this, 17, 18, and 20 or 22" are listed.

7B9145F3-AB5E-4CB1-99EC-97EF22CC2301.jpeg

First, the original tire size will be on a sticker in the driver's door frame - pressure, too! I'll bet it says P255/70R18 at 30/33.

What pressure are you using? If it's more than 35 psi, that is at least some of the vibration source.

The wheel size is probably on the inside of the wheel - you'll have to take it off to see it. It's important that you do, because wheel width will determine what will fit on those wheels.

Lastly, it might be difficult to get an ordinary tire shop to mount any size other than the original tires size. They MIGHT do the current size, but beyond that is anyone's guess. The way around it is to give them just the tires and wheels - that is, take them off the truck and only take them to the shop.

Thanks Racer, I'll check those areas. The psi today was about 48 average, toward 50. I had my most accurate gauge. I know that's very high, dropped it to 44 only since they were moderately warm.

These are also load range ‘E' tires.

Just checked, door jam says P275/65/18" tires front & back. PSI says 30 front, 33 rear.

These aftermarket wheels & tires throw a wrench on some of that.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
Just checked, door jam says P275/65/18" tires front & back. PSI says 30 front, 33 rear.

So I'd check if a common H/T type tire fits that wheel.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe

Some of what? They should take that size fine. You'll have better road manners with a shorter 65 sidewall ratio too.

By 'wrench into some of that' ; He might mean tire pressure specs based on what a lot get confused with.

-Door jam / vehicle build and design spec's for tire psi
- OEM tires that have conflicting info on the sidewalls as delivered 'new' versus that very same door jam sticker.
-Aftermarket tires and sizes that will be all over the board as per psi ranges / recommendations.

I've experimented with all my cars, truck and motorcycles through the years. I tend to find my sweet spot for firm ride without overly snappy and noisy on cracks and road irregularities.
Mine is rarely set foward the max rating which is a way to get better mpg at the cost of ride and noise often times.
My starting point is typically max minus 2 - 5 psi or 10%

Last edited:
To compare different tyre sizes, go to www.willtheyfit.com - this site allows you to plug in the current tyre size and the proposed new tyre size, it compares them in terms of height, width, circumference, speedo error and other factors that I cant remember just now.

As well as giving you all the numbers, it also gives a graphical representation so you can actually 'see' how much difference there will be.

Consider the load rating for the standard vehicle, and look at what sizes you can get in that load rating.

265/275/285/305 section widths
50/55/60/65/70 profiles
must be 18 unless you want to change wheel.

is most of your driving on road or off road?

By ‘wrench' I ment problem, or ‘monkey wrench'. Yes, I would almost go back yo the door jam(OEM) tires sizes, just thought maybe these aftermarket wheels were to wide, possibly unlikely now.

My teenage Son will mostly drive this truck, though it's somewhat of a family vehicle. It will also be 98% regular pavement driving.

These worn Wranglers say load range ‘E' also, seems a bit overkill.

Thanks, I'll check that tire comparative site.

I took the stock 265/70/18s off my 2018 3500 Chev and put them on my son's 2013 1500 GMC. Fuel 18x9" wheels.
When people like me take off their stock tires and/or wheels for larger, the "take-offs" can be bought for a song.

265/70/18 10.5x32.6
275/70/18 10.85x33.2

Back in the day we put 255/85/16s on Taco's. 10x33s
Poor man's posi; weld the spider gears.

I ordered two 275/70/18" Michelin'Defenders' from Discount tire. I have another truck they would work on.

My plan is to take two wheels off, bring them in for the switch. If all goes well, I'll order two more for the matched set.

Just some followup. I got the new tires, had them put on, they fit wonderfully, same wheels. The best part is, the modest ‘wobble' in the steering wheel is 95% gone, the little bit may be in my head.
This is with testing up to 70 MPH.

So for now, I'll leave it as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back