Gen 3 EcoDiesel - Proper oil spec?

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with the new Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine. The owners manual is contradictory, and I want you guys' opinions on this.

Page 369 states, "The manufacturer recommends engine oils that meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-10902, and that are API CJ-4 certified."

On page 370 I read, "We recommend you use 5W40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required."

Then on page 424 it states, "We recommend you use 5W40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Pennzoil Platinumn Euro that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required."

An FCA forum representative claims on the Ram forum that the MS-12991 is the correct spec for this engine.

At my local stores, I've found 5W40 Shell Rotella T6 which I believe would meet the MS-10902 spec just fine, but I can't find any oil anywhere that meets MS-12991. The dealership sells it for over $10 per quart. They've quoted $250 total for oil and oil filter change.

What would you guys do? This truck has 1,000 miles on the odometer and my goal is maximum longevity.

Last edited:
If they quote both of those different specs in their manual then ou can use either one to keep the warranty happy.

CJ4 is more of a diesel spec than SN I'd be tempted to use CJ4 .

Pennzoil Euro had the MS-12991 specification recently, I dont know for sure if it still does but it would be worth checking
RAVENOL J1A1550 VST is 12991
Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is 12991

Cummins CES 20081 and MS-10902 are interchangeable
wink.gif

This is a list of oils that have the Chrysler MS-12991 and API SN Certification/Standard/Approval

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Valvoline 5W-40 MST SynPower
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40

Are there any 5w 40's made that even meet the diesel specs? If not then it must be a misprint on the first recommendations. Maybe look at the dealer's mopar oil bottle to see the specs on what they would use. It says in all three of the four places to use 5w 40.

Valvoline MST oils are C3 diesel oils. You can order them online thru NAPA or even Walmart. I've seen MST oils in Walmart but not enough quantity to change a diesel.

It has DPF!
Originally Posted by tundraotto
This is a list of oils that have the Chrysler MS-12991 and API SN Certification/Standard/Approval

Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40

No, no, no! It has DPF, only ACE C3 oils should go in. FCA completely messed up their sheets after their debacle with that engine.
I am not sure where MST is available anymore as Valvoline now moved to European Vehicle full SAPS version.
OP, go online and check Motul X-Clean 5W40. Or go with Delvac 1 5W40 or Rotella 5W40 as Overkill stated.

Originally Posted by loneryder
Offroad, does it state anywhere in the manual about C3 oils?

Nope, the sentences I posted above are the ONLY mentions of oil in the manual. I've been front to back a few times, that's all it mentions.

The only info I can find online refers to the Gen 2 engine, and says that FCA switched from Pennzoil Euro to Rotella T6 recommendation after they had a rash of rod bearing failures. But, I'm under warranty and right now my main focus is not giving the dealership any reason to deny potential warranty work in the future. Hence, my confusion.

Originally Posted by edyvw
It has DPF!

Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40

No, no, no! It has DPF, only ACE C3 oils should go in. FCA completely messed up their sheets after their debacle with that engine.
I am not sure where MST is available anymore as Valvoline now moved to European Vehicle full SAPS version.
OP, go online and check Motul X-Clean 5W40. Or go with Delvac 1 5W40 or Rotella 5W40 as Overkill stated.

Just to clarify, when you say "Rotella 5W40", this is the one you're speaking of, correct?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Ro...y-Duty-Diesel-Engine-Oil-1-gal/102646780

Originally Posted by OFFRD
It has DPF!

Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40

Just to clarify, when you say "Rotella 5W40", this is the one you're speaking of, correct?

That is the one and only. Does anyone know if the new T6 formulation is low SAPS and safe for DPF?

I am out of date on diesel oils, plenty of 5w 40. Personally on that kind of investment I would contact the dealer and factory as to which is right.

Here's the UOA's from my 2010 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel. Same engine but yours has some improvements.

If I was you, and didn't have an oil stash, I'd use the newer Rotella T6 15w40 CK-4 or any other CK-4 oil in 5w40.

My UOA's show that a 15w40 Synthetic Blend give the lowest wear numbers.

20191121_154615.jpg

Originally Posted by racin4ds
It has DPF!

Ravenol 5W-40 VST
Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40

That is the one and only. Does anyone know if the new T6 formulation is low SAPS and safe for DPF?

Well, that one (Rotella T6) is widely available in my area, and since my owners manual does specifically call it out by name my assumption is that if I use it I'll have a strong argument should any issues arise later. So, I think that's the direction I'll go.

Any of the HDEO 5W40's are fine to use such as Rotella T6, Mobil Delvac 1, and Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme are all rated for diesels with DPF's.

Anything CK-4 rated covers the back spec'd CJ-4, CI-4+, CI-4, etc.

Well, that one (Rotella T6) is widely available in my area, and since my owners manual does specifically call it out by name my assumption is that if I use it I'll have a strong argument should any issues arise later. So, I think that's the direction I'll go.

You can. Also as mentioned later CK-4 covers it too.
However, I personally would go with ACEA C3 5W40. That engine is made with C3 oils in mind. Reason why FCA is recommending HDEO is availability in the US> However, those oils have usually higher SAPS levels and higher Noack. Also, C3 oils are usually 5W30 and that engine is not quite happy with W30 weight.
My choice would be:
https://www.amazon.com/Motul-8100-X...Clean+5W40&qid=1584463757&sr=8-3
But, there is difference in price.

I have a 2020 Ram 1500 with the new Gen 3 EcoDiesel engine. The owners manual is contradictory, and I want you guys' opinions on this.

Page 369 states, "The manufacturer recommends engine oils that meet the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-10902, and that are API CJ-4 certified."

On page 370 I read, "We recommend you use 5W40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 engine oil category is required."

Then on page 424 it states, "We recommend you use 5W40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar or Pennzoil Platinumn Euro that meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category is required."

An FCA forum representative claims on the Ram forum that the MS-12991 is the correct spec for this engine.

At my local stores, I've found 5W40 Shell Rotella T6 which I believe would meet the MS-10902 spec just fine, but I can't find any oil anywhere that meets MS-12991. The dealership sells it for over $10 per quart. They've quoted $250 total for oil and oil filter change.

What would you guys do? This truck has 1,000 miles on the odometer and my goal is maximum longevity.

Wow, how many pages are there in the owners manual??

Back