Feel good story(I do) about Profiteers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Government should not interfere with the sales between private parties. Period.

What if CNN's parent company (a private party) Time Warner decided to buy out Fox (a private party) with plans of shutting it down.. would you be ok with the Feds not intervening? Or is selective interference ok, just not the kind of interference that prohibits you from price gouging during a national emergency?

[Linked Image]

People in a nut shell.

People like these cause panic buying, and then lead to real honest people who buy just enough for personal use to run out.

The gov should really just use emergency law to "draft" these supplies now and then pay them with a 90 days invoice.

Originally Posted by atikovi
It's not insulin, it's TP. If some rich people want it and are willing to pay that much for, you can't blame the seller. Especially when there are plenty of alternatives like paper towels or facial tissue. No different from the express toll lanes around here. At peak times it goes over $40 for a ten mile stretch. For a $500/hour lawyer, it's nothing.

Have you tried flushing paper towel down the toilet constantly (say a family of 4, 4 times a day)? It will clog in no time.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Government should not interfere with the sales between private parties. Period.

What if CNN's parent company (a private party) Time Warner decided to buy out Fox (a private party) with plans of shutting it down.. would you be ok with the Feds not intervening? Or is selective interference ok, just not the kind of interference that prohibits you from price gouging during a national emergency?

I believe there should be zero government intervention in the free market. If a market exists, an entrepreneur will fill the void.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
he got lots of hate mail and death threats.

Yea, from cowards hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

I bet. I'm not sure why so many think that's acceptable behavior, but I'm guessing it's as old as the hills--bullying and cowardice, that is.

he got lots of hate mail and death threats.

Yea, from cowards hiding behind the anonymity of the internet.

You may consider these ppl. as "cowards", but I've seem firsthand experience of how these "cowards" can make someone's life (for them and those immediately around them, such as parents, siblings, children etc.) VERY unpleasant.

Ppl. like to think there's anonymity in voicing one's opinion on forums, as well as Amazon, ebay etc.
Little do they realize how much they are actually exposed with each keystroke being made.
31.gif

Well the guy was crying so I guess he realizes how bad his profiteering looked. In the original article he felt like he was providing a valuable service to the rest of the country who wanted to pay sky high prices.

Anyway, just wondering if he can take the write off on the Church donation for the $70 retail price per unit he was going to charge or just the actual purchase price. Any accountants here?

Of course some of us anticipated this and bought a reasonable amount at normal price early on.
Now I have given out a few pocket sized or refilled a couple pumpers for family members …
(I bought one of the big refill jugs too).

Originally Posted by Leo99
I believe there should be zero government intervention in the free market. If a market exists, an entrepreneur will fill the void.

You can believe whatever self-contradictions you want, but there is no "free market" without gov't regulation as monopolies and oligopolies are not "free markets". They stiffen innovation and lead to Robber Baron capitalism which leads to self-immolation and 1929.....

Originally Posted by Tdbo
Well he ended up donating 2/3s to a church group and the attorney general of Tennessee took the other 1/3 to give to similiar groups in Kentucky.

As expected, he got lots of hate mail and death threats.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/technology/matt-colvin-hand-sanitizer-donation.html

He found Karma bites hard.
Good for him.

What an idiot he is. He's lucky the State AG didn't charge him..
lol.gif

Originally Posted by supton
Not sure what to think--it's capitalism at it's best. Or worst. Or both at the same time.

They could just sell at decent profit margin, there's always that business model.

Got curious this morning and one of the links indicated that soap was better than alcohol. Few seconds of scrubbing really works on this virus--it's got a really whimpy "shell" that is easily broken by soap--but hand sanitizer has to be left on for a longer period of time. That plus how alcohol dries out the skin makes me think I'm not missing out on anything there (I avoid the stuff, and just use dish soap).

yeah, pH change is important.

You want to talk about more supplies... Look at that failed system in the Warsaw Pact vs the west.... Our country that actually had stores filled with food and supplies... All during the cold war period.

bbhero,
I started carrying around a snack sized ziplok bag with a bar of soap in it...first wash the taps, then lather up, put the soap back into the bag, wash it, on the outside, dry and repocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back