DVR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good topic Ed.
Is there an aftermarket DVR that will record cable stations like HBO, AMC, TBN......etc?
Mine (original one) is from WOW Cable and at $10 per month rental, I'm looking at having spent $840 for it the past seven years.

Own two TiVo's and love them both.
Purchased both with the lifetime plan ($499) which covers monthly fee plus a $99. replacement fee should the device fail.
Renting the cablecard is considerably cheaper than renting their box.

Tivo can record cable channels (as stated with a cable card). As a suggestion-an over the air antenna paired with Philo (streaming service) is a good alternative-and you will save money. You would need a Tablo and a hard drive for DVR capabilities.

I got tired of the $170.00/month cable bill-so I went with an OTA outside antenna, a Tablo and Hulu/Netflick.

Last edited:
Walmart sells OTA DVR's that record to a hard drive. Been using the same one since 2007. I've replaced the actual hard drive at leat twice (since I do use it a lot).

I bought a TiVo about 3 years ago and a year ago we cancelled Comcast and went to AT&T and recently went back, I still haven't taken the TiVo back out of the box, as expensive as the TiVo is I wouldn't purchase it again, I don't think I broke even the first 2 years I used it for the savings on the DVR and 2 additional outlets, we only have one person in the house that records so they use the main box which includes 20 hrs of cloud DVR and us others use the Xfinity Stream app on Roku for free. Plus my TiVo Roamio no longer supports Xfinity on Demand which was the main reason I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back