Replacing wheel bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say one of the wheel bolts on a wheel needed to be replaced, would you replace just this one bolt or would you replace them all? The same question goes for lug nuts and wheel studs.

^^ Also depends on if matching wheel bolts or lug nuts easy to obtain, may have to do one side of car. And then a particular coworker I have would notice anyways.

Originally Posted by Donald
That depends. If the threads are only banged up on one, why replace them all?

I didn't say the threads were damaged. It's actually the head that was damaged by someone with an impact wrench. My concerns with replacing just one bolt is identical clamping force among old and new wheel bolts on the same wheel. We are talking about a 7-year-old vehicle. I don't know if the clamping force of wheel bolts changes considerably over the years. Then again, a whole set of new OE bolts isn't that expensive. I'm just curious.

A brand new bolt will need a few tightening cycles to reach the same clamping force as the old ones. The new contact surfaces on the threads and head do change with a few load cycles. Call it embedding them.

Some brake rotors are sensitive to uneven wheel mounting loads. Probably your concern.

Originally Posted by Donald
That depends. If the threads are only banged up on one, why replace them all?

What I was thinking .

Originally Posted by Dave9
Just replace that one. Next, recheck the torque after ~100mi of driving.

agree

Originally Posted by atikovi
If a headlight, tail light or turn signal light bulb burns out, do you replace the other? Of course not.

That's a faulty analogy. Bulbs don't hold wheels fast.

Yes, I do replace bulbs in pairs because once one burns out the other one will follow soon because they have the same service life and on most modern cars replacing bulbs is more involved than just reaching and replacing a bulb. Time saved equals money saved and the cost of new bulbs is relatively small.

Originally Posted by whatnext
A brand new bolt will need a few tightening cycles to reach the same clamping force as the old ones. The new contact surfaces on the threads and head do change with a few load cycles. Call it embedding them.

Some brake rotors are sensitive to uneven wheel mounting loads. Probably your concern.

Well stated and confirms what I'm thinking.

Originally Posted by vavavroom
If a headlight, tail light or turn signal light bulb burns out, do you replace the other? Of course not.

Yes, I do replace bulbs in pairs because once one burns out the other one will follow soon because they have the same service life and on most modern cars replacing bulbs is more involved than just reaching and replacing a bulb. Time saved equals money saved and the cost of new bulbs is relatively small.

All the more reason not to replace a bulb that is working. The thought that once one burns out the other one will follow soon because they have the same service life is speculation or coincidence unless you have owned the car since new. If not, who knows if both bulbs were replaced at the same time the last time? Even then, voltage and resistance isn't exactly the same between the two not to mention manufacturing tolerances to accurately predict their lifespans.

Originally Posted by vavavroom

All the more reason not to replace a bulb that is working. The thought that once one burns out the other one will follow soon because they have the same service life is speculation or coincidence unless you have owned the car since new. If not, who knows if both bulbs were replaced at the same time the last time? Even then, voltage and resistance isn't exactly the same between the two not to mention manufacturing tolerances to accurately predict their lifespans.

I've seen it happen often enough to know it's not speculation but a certainty. Please, remember, I'm not telling you what to do.

Originally Posted by dogememe
What exactly do light bulbs and wheel bolts have in common?

I already pointed out that this was a faulty analogy.

I do, for headlights. The other typically fails in short order. They come in 2 packs, and it's another couple minutes, so all done at once. [I don't buy cars with fancy headlights, nor ones with hard to get to bulbs.] My long gone VW did tend to burn drivers side faster than passenger side; I wound up settling into mailordering bulbs and replacing once/year. [Forget now what I used, some Sylvania/Osram H4 somethingoranother.] Taillights, I don't feel obligated but again they're a two pack, done and over with.

I do wheel bearings in the same way, both sides have same amount of wear.
21.gif
YMMV.

The more I read on the variety of models, the more I realize every OEM is free to do things they way they see best. Caliper pistons that have to spin in, not press in? And they spin one way on one side and opposite on the other?

Originally Posted by supton

I do, for headlights. The other typically fails in short order. They come in 2 packs, and it's another couple minutes, so all done at once. [I don't buy cars with fancy headlights, nor ones with hard to get to bulbs.]

I buy them individually from an independent parts store. $3.57 for a GE 9004 bulb. The markup at the chain stores is ridiculous. Can't remember a time when I had to replace the other bulb anytime soon after.

Yeah - actually, I do. Every time, since the life is similar. If I don't, then I'm doing the other side soon after.

However, bulb burnout and bolt damage are completely different.

IF a bolt is in good shape, keep it. IF it's damaged, replace it. Damage on one bolt isn't from wearing out, like a bulb, it's damage, plain and simple.

Replace the damaged part, examine the other parts carefully, and re-use the ones that are OK.

Now, I have replaced an entire set of bolts, not because one is damaged, but because they were all starting to rust, adn a complete set of bolts was actually reasonable in price. I can get one bolt for a Volvo for $12. I can get a set of 20 bolts for $100. So, I replaced all of them, but it was primarily cosmetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back