Is there any option of filing taxes for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is our family friend, a single mother with a teenager. Her income on W2 is around 70K (I don't know the exact number). Claims to have pretty straight forward taxes with IRA, 529 and HSA contributions. Usually, she uses Tax-Aide services from AARP, which is free and run by the volunteers. But due to this pandemic, the service is not available this year. Are there any other services like this?

She doesn't want to do it herself (I suggested trying Credit Karma, which is free but I have never used it) because she is not confident and scared of making any mistakes. What other options does she have?

Thanks in advance.

I used the free online tax prep from H&R block. If it's simple it's free and pretty straight forward as it walks you through the process. Also does a state return for free if not complicated.

I did it for free with Turbo Tax, both state and federal. Took less than 20 minutes. They've basically made it impossible to screw it up.

If $70k is accurate AGI that will put her on the borderline of qualifying for free file services listed on IRS page. This year appears $69k AGI free file limit. That said, those are all software programs like CK that she will still have to enter her information. I'll link directly to IRS.gov page for free file options. I'm not aware of similar AARP Tax Aide, reads like they guide one through process in a more hands on way.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

According to link want to be careful with TT as they will try to get one to pay. And free TT AGI limit on IRS page, only $36k for most users.

https://www.propublica.org/article/turbotax-just-tricked-you-into-paying-to-file-your-taxes

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
This is our family friend, a single mother with a teenager. Her income on W2 is around 70K (I don't know the exact number).

Not to be critical, but if I ever made 70K I wouldn't worry about spending a couple hundred for a reliable tax prep service.

I filed my federal taxes this year with free tax USA… https://www.freetaxusa.com/

Found it highly suggested online, so I decided to give it a go. I always have used TaxCut or HR Block software prior.

Free Tax USA was just as easy and thorough. Filed no problem and go my return within a few weeks. Will certainly be using this going forward, it's silly to pay for something that is free to use and just as easy/useful.

In Ohio, we file free through the state website. Free Tax charges for the state portion, so I don't do that obviously.

If your adjusted gross income was $69,000 or less in 2019, the IRS says you can file for free. Link on IRS web site.

Can't say enough good about FreeTaxUSA even though you have to pay a bit for the state return. I have complexities (depreciating a race horse, rental properties) that exceeded the abilities of CreditKarma when I tried it about three years ago but it would be fine for a simpler return. If qualified for the IRS free site that would be ok IIRC they had a lot of "buy this" ad ons when I helped someone to use this but that was a decade ago.

Last edited:
I've used Credit Karma the last three years. I have a pretty simple return but easy as can be.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Paper forms are only going to cost you printing costs and postage.
Is that cheap enough?

Even thinking about doing a paper form gives me anxiety, although I guess it did it until the mid-nineties.

Originally Posted by miden851
https://www.taxslayer.com/

this software is also easy and straight forward

Used to help my stepson through the IRS web portal about a decade ago and picked Tax Slayer, also used it in the early 2000's. The company made commercial tax prep software and this was a sub set. I did find them straight forward and easy to use. Similar to FreeTaxUSA in that both were without all the extra hand holding like the big 3 that usually got in the way.

Originally Posted by SHOZ
I've used Credit Karma the last three years. I have a pretty simple return but easy as can be.

Even though their tax package wasn't up to my needs when I last looked, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Credit Karma site. Great credit monitor, everyone should have an account.

Like mentioned, sign her up on Credit Karma. Absolutely free tax prep and E-file for both Federal and State, although check your state. There's a few that aren't supported. I used it this year and was leery given I had been paying TaxAct for years. The CK system is really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back