Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 specs confusing

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by BurntMusic
I don't think it's an error.

You don't think that what is an error?

My bad. I meant to say, "I don't think it's an error that they put SN Plus on it" like some were questioning.

My bad. I meant to say, "I don't think it's an error that they put SN Plus on it" like some were questioning.

How can you tell by looking at your UOA?

Originally Posted by kschachn
I've read through the thread and I'm not sure what the real confusion is, the oil is listed on the API EOLCS so it is definitely SN PLUS.

Right, but why does Pennzoil themselves seem to think that "API SN PLUS specification [is] not applicable" to this product?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've read through the thread and I'm not sure what the real confusion is, the oil is listed on the API EOLCS so it is definitely SN PLUS.
Right, but why does Pennzoil themselves seem to think that "API SN PLUS specification [is] not applicable" to this product?

Oh right, thank you.

Well who knows what Pennzoil thinks, that is hard to tell.

Oh I'm not. I'm just reading what's on the bottle.

The huge chunk of Magnesium (1139 ppm), nearly equaling the Calcium is a key sign (1414 ppm).

If it wasn't SN Plus, the calcium would be in the 2000 ppm range with little to no magnesium.

Oh right, thank you.

Well who knows what Pennzoil thinks, that is hard to tell.

Like I said before, probably indicating to customers that it is OK to use in vehicles requiring SN Plus oils (which no Euro manufacturer really cares about, but you never know who will buy this oil).
They can do that bcs. SN Plus is not approval, but specification.

I purchased a quart from pepboys just to test the SN plus formulation. There's a link in my signature to the VOA of it. I don't think it's an error. I too have looked for the PDS on their website and found it to be outdated. Maybe the website hasn't been updated?

I found this PDS from another user here late last year. See the attachment

Thanks for the VOA! I've looked all over the place and couldn't find one.

It seems to me that for an SN+ oil it is on the high side of calcium @ 1400PPM as it is well known to be a promoter of LSPI, most SN+ are sub 1000ppm range. Also the viscosity is fairly wimpy at 12.1 cst being barely a 40wt oil and the Molybdenum is not that high at 89ppm. The TBN of 9.8 seems to be pretty good but that is with the old test being blackstone.

Overall not that impressed. If I'm going to use an oil with that level of calcium, I can think of much better more robust x-30wt oils I would use such as my favourite Motul xclean efe 5w-30. Not an SN+ oil but with A 12.0 cST and a 170 molybdenum count, it should do just as good if not better than this Euro 5w-40.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Like I said before, probably indicating to customers that it is OK to use in vehicles requiring SN Plus oils (which no Euro manufacturer really cares about, but you never know who will buy this oil).

No, it is a license. So if it it is listed on the API EOLCS Directory of Licensees then it has the license, which it does.

Look for 229.51 or A40 approvals, they indicate a better quality lube whose specs may have been based on something like SN or A3/B4 but then they have required better performance in certain areas so their performance is higher than other lubes without those specs.

Originally Posted by Olas
Look for 229.51 or A40 approvals, they indicate a better quality lube whose specs may have been based on something like SN or A3/B4 but then they have required better performance in certain areas so their performance is higher than other lubes without those specs.

The oil in question has Porsche A40 approval (and Mercedes-Benz 229.5 but not 229.51). I'm still struggling with the confusion about this oil, i understand the "not applicable" statement being odd but through various sources the approvals and licenses it does have are pretty clear.

Originally Posted by edyvw

No, it is a license. So if it it is listed on the API EOLCS Directory of Licensees then it has the license, which it does.

Based on what I'm seeing in API EOLSC directory, this particular Pennzoil Euro oil is listed as having:
Service Category: SN
Performance Designation: SN Plus

What's the difference between service category and performance designation? Which one is actually licensed and which one is just claimed by manufacturer?

I've skimmed through API's letter, and it's confusing:
https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/17thed1509addendum7rev021218.pdf

Then again, worrying about API spec on a Euro oil doesn't make too much sense to me to begin with.

The oil in question has Porsche A40 approval (and Mercedes-Benz 229.5 but not 229.51). I'm still struggling with the confusion about this oil, i understand the "not applicable" statement being odd but through various sources the approvals and licenses it does have are pretty clear.

229.51 is a mid saps spec so this oil would never carry that approval. Both the 0w30 LX and 5w30 L do, though.

Then again, worrying about API spec on a Euro oil doesn't make too much sense to me to begin with.

No kidding. LSPI is just not a problem for the Germans, probably in large part because they demand higher octane.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

229.51 is a mid saps spec so this oil would never carry that approval. Both the 0w30 LX and 5w30 L do, though.

No kidding. LSPI is just not a problem for the Germans, probably in large part because they demand higher octane.

It is not just higher octane rating. European manufacturers have much more experience with small trubos than rest. Then, you have GM that just does not give a s... about it.

Originally Posted by STIcandy
I purchased a quart from pepboys just to test the SN plus formulation. There's a link in my signature to the VOA of it. I don't think it's an error. I too have looked for the PDS on their website and found it to be outdated. Maybe the website hasn't been updated?

I found this PDS from another user here late last year. See the attachment

Thanks for the VOA! I've looked all over the place and couldn't find one.

It seems to me that for an SN+ oil it is on the high side of calcium @ 1400PPM as it is well known to be a promoter of LSPI, most SN+ are sub 1000ppm range. Also the viscosity is fairly wimpy at 12.1 cst being barely a 40wt oil and the Molybdenum is not that high at 89ppm. The TBN of 9.8 seems to be pretty good but that is with the old test being blackstone.

Overall not that impressed. If I'm going to use an oil with that level of calcium, I can think of much better more robust x-30wt oils I would use such as my favourite Motul xclean efe 5w-30. Not an SN+ oil but with A 12.0 cST and a 170 molybdenum count, it should do just as good if not better than this Euro 5w-40.

Yeah it's average to slightly above average in my experience. I also have a VOA of Total Quartz 9000 5w40 (can't put it in signature because it's too many characters). That oil was just calcium! Link

But yeah Pennzoil has always had a thin 5w40 it seems

Last edited:
I’m just quick viewing this thread and frustrated the US (at least to my knowledge) doesn’t get the 5 quart jugs. Ordering a 6-pack is a slightly better price than a single bottle price off the shelf. But the PP Euro 0w40 is much cheaper by the jug.

The dealer used Pennzoil 5W40 for the free oil changes under VW's free maintenance when I owned a 2013 GTI. It seemed 5W40 robbed a few horsepower vs 5W30. I didn't like it.
I recently changed from Castrol Edge 5w40 to this Pennzoil Euro 5w40 and noticed a decrease in fuel economy

Back