Is oil a good investment now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine it may take a year or two to start creeping back up, but I bought a good amount of slumberger stock dirt cheap at $15/share and have a decent amount of exxon stock I've been holding onto for the last couple years cause it was way down even back before this corronavirus stuff. I mean it has to go back up at some point. Opinions?

Oil is one sector that always rebounds. Might be a bit safer to buy a oil mutual fund, rather than an individual oil stock, to reduce exposure to a single oil stock that may have a debt problem it can't solve.

I don't believe there's a bright future ahead of service companies. It was quite questionable to begin with, but after recent events it looks dark. Myself, working for one of the service "majors" here in Houston , i'm expecting the doors to be closed any day. With that said, i'd expect service company stock to plunge even further and wouldn't expect a major growth in foreseeable future

The commodity sector (which includes oil) seems to be headed to new 10-15 year lows. Oil has already fallen under the 2008 low as has platinum. I think it will be tough sledding for copper, oil, and the basic materials sector in general. I think oil is headed back to $22 and possibly $15/barrel. There will be bounces though....maybe a good one right here from last week's $27 low. If the SM goes into a recessionary period, the oil service industry will probably continue to get clobbered too, especially if the price of oil remains under $40/barrel. XOM just took out the 2008 low last month. Not looking so good. And the OIH (oil services) ETF has been crushed to nearly nothing which may be a leading indicator for the blue chips. Maybe time for a bounce here. But if the 2008 path is followed there still may be another low yet to come. The stock market rally cycle is around 80 yrs old now. A major washout could take years if that's in the cards now. Energy producers will get crushed too. If you have years to wait and the money to lose, then no problem. I know I'd be leery about buying after the SM experienced a huge multi-year peak just last month - at ridiculous extremes.

Lots of oil companies have a crazy amount of debt.

Oil price war will drive companies here in the USA to go bankrupt. The majors here in the USA will be okay.

I'd stay FAR away from any oil related investment.

The oil stock collapse is one thing. Now the banks have take their haircuts. Also, keep an eye on the Baker Rig count which is issued every Friday. It's a leading indicator for whether or not the companies are going to capitulate on the Permian Basin and the Marcellus. The world still needs over 100 million bbls of oil per day.

Originally Posted by cjcride
I feel oil is a buy. For an older guy like me bank stock is safer though.

Why bank stocks if they over leveraged themselves and have so much toxic debt ?

Not trying to cause trouble....

No trouble at all Mr Nice. Canadian bank stocks through XDV ishares by BlackRock on Toronto exchange. It's about 60% Canadian bank stocks. They are less of a wild ride than some foreign banks. XDV was down about 30% on March 12th. I'm in for long haul plus if Banks get 'shaky on their legs' the government (of any stripe) steps up quick to steady them up.

I should have noted in my previous post Canadian bank stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Lots of oil companies have a crazy amount of debt.

Oil price war will drive companies here in the USA to go bankrupt. The majors here in the USA will be okay.

I'd stay FAR away from any oil related investment.

Agreed. The majors are better positioned to weather the storm and rebound at some point. There are some very well managed integrated energy companies out there like a Chevron or Shell but I'd stay away from anything shale or sands. The break even on those two is around $50 a barrel. Some will go bankrupt, some will survive but none will thrive with the price of crude staying below $50.

Depends, if someone will rescue the weakened shale company or will someone drive them to bankruptcy first. If they are bankrupt then the remaining players will likely acquire them and cut production. If they are rescued and continue to pump, then it will remain low for a long time.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Depends, if someone will rescue the weakened shale company or will someone drive them to bankruptcy first. If they are bankrupt then the remaining players will likely acquire them and cut production. If they are rescued and continue to pump, then it will remain low for a long time.

Russia wants market share and it's #1 producer ranking back. His intent is to drive shale and sands out of business. The U.S. simply can't keep buying shale and sands oil just to prop up a heavily indebted industry. You just have to let the chips fall where they may and let the market cull the herd of the weak(est).

Last edited:
Encore Energy is **still** running their ads on the radio...

pump...pump...pump...pump that's a sound of an oilwell, you could earn 40 years of income, invest in an oilwell, Encore Energy is exploring the most prolific plays in your area!
call today!

....eh.

When oil prices hit an ungodly low during the winter of 98-99, I remember being sent home during that winter build-out of the ARCO Alaska Alpine oil field. It was located only a handful of miles from the Arctic Ocean coast. We were home for only 4 to 6 weeks before the oil prices started to climb again. No big deal.

At the time, I was installing and turning up every aspect of telecommunications there. Oh the North Slope stories I can tell!

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I would imagine it may take a year or two to start creeping back up, but I bought a good amount of slumberger stock dirt cheap at $15/share and have a decent amount of exxon stock I've been holding onto for the last couple years cause it was way down even back before this corronavirus stuff. I mean it has to go back up at some point. Opinions?

Gosh, you would think so. One thing for sure, its dirt cheap. Very interesting times right now and a lot of good buys right now, too many!
(and you just gave me another one to think about)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back