Another question on 3V Fords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm going to replace the lash adjusters and followers on the 04 5.4 I'm building.. Found a kit that has both for a good price but is listed as for 2005 and up. I looked it up through my parts site to see if the two years list the same number and Sealed Power lists 2 separate numbers - the HT2304 and HT2305. I measured them and the O.D. and OAL measure the same. The Federal Mogul Tech line didn't have an answer either. He thought maybe valving differences?

Any input?

The 2004 lash adjusters are different from 2005-2014: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford...;linkId=856bda64333bb27dd966ac0b307102c7

The roller followers are the same for 2004-2014: These are the latest from Ford: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford...;linkId=170c917181a0a578c002259393afcbe1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOda8QPZ36s

I would only use Ford timing and valve train parts when building a 5.4 3v except the oil pump. These parts have been updated since production. Melling makes a hi flow version oil pump that works much better than the factory pump.

Thanks for the reply - any input as what is different? The links you provided navigate to the same roller follower BTW... Also, I am using the Melling pump.

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Thanks for the reply - any input as what is different? The links you provided navigate to the same roller follower BTW... Also, I am using the Melling pump.

I don't know what is different about the parts, but go to that video and message fordtechmakuloco on his Facebook page. He would probably know.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

I don't know what is different about the parts, but go to that video and message fordtechmakuloco on his Facebook page. He would probably know.

If he doesn't know, call Ford headquarters in Dearborn. But, I am pretty sure Ford Tech Mak knows all.
BTW, going back with the Melling oil pump is a wise move.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge

I'm going to have to find another avenue to contact him since I'm one of the 10 people in the world without a Facebook account..

I'm going to have to find another avenue to contact him since I'm one of the 10 people in the world without a Facebook account..

I suggest you call his shop.

TSB 04-24-24

12/13/04

CAMSHAFT AND LASH ADJUSTER DESIGN
CHANGE - 5.4L 3V ENGINE

FORD:
2004-2005 F-150

ISSUE
The 5.4L 3-valve engine lash adjuster and camshaft design has been modified for the 2005 model year (MY). Do not use 2005 MY parts when servicing a 2004 MY engine, or 2004 MY parts when servicing a 2005 MY engine. If parts are intermixed during a service repair, the engine may exhibit noises on affected cylinders and engine damage may result.

ACTION
Order and install parts for the correct model year engine. The following Inspection Procedure can also be used to visually confirm the application of a part.

NOTE
THE ENGINE MODEL YEAR SHOULD BE CONFIRMED BY CHECKING THE ENGINE TAG LOCATED ON THE VALVE COVER. A 2004 MY ENGINE WILL HAVE CODE 4G-692-AA AND A 2005 MY ENGINE WILL BE IDENTIFIED AS 5G-692-AA.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2004 and 2005 MY lash adjusters can be visually identified by the presence or lack of an identification groove cut into the lash adjuster boss (Figure 3). The 2005 MY parts will have this identification groove cut into the boss, while the 2004 MY parts will not.

clinebarger - thank you for posting. I still wonder what the actual differences are? I looked up the 04/05 followers and cyl heads and they're (at least on Rock Auto) showing the same part numbers/casting numbers. So if they are using the same followers and heads, I wonder why the lash adjusters are different between the years and why Ford says you may have an issue?

I believe the Head Castings & Followers are the same.....But the Camshafts & Lash Adjusters are most certainly different. The base circle diameter could be different resulting in lash adjuster preload differences.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I believe the Head Castings & Followers are the same.....But the Camshafts & Lash Adjusters are most certainly different. The base circle diameter could be different resulting in lash adjuster preload differences.

Ahhhh... Good call on the cam base circle - I forgot about that possibility!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back