Dial gauge indicator recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a dial gauge indicator (mm) and a dial gauge holder but haven't decided on what kind of indicator.
I've heard good things about Noga holders so I'm set on getting one of those.

As for the dial indicator, not sure which to get.
I need the indicator so that I can correctly tighten a nut that secures an axle flange shaft to a rear hub (car).
Need to achieve end play of 0.04-0.06 mm (rear axle shaft)

https://handbook.w116.org/Chassis/35-130.pdf

Recommendations are greatly appreciated

You are buying this setup for this one job.

I would skip the noga mount and get a typical holder with the on/off magnet switch. Much more cost effective. All the holder has to do is hold steady.

I recommend https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09900572

Under 50 bucks. (and YES it read inches(that is how you save money), you just do the math to metric, but if you are lazy you need a end play of 0.016" to .0236")

Last edited:
The actual gauge recommended in the FSM, from Mahr, is available on eBay pretty inexpensive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

eBay has a lot of old Starett magnetic mounts and everything else. You just buy the gauge that has the appropriate measurement range to be equivalent. These are all in inches but the math is easy enough.

Here was my front rotor job on my w123 300CD.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

To convert mm to inch / multiply mm (x) .03937

.04mm x .03937 = .00157 (Low)
.06mm x .03937 = .00236 (High)
That's a difference of only .00079" / less than one thousands inch.

For checking runout or end-play, I'd use an anolog (NOT Digital), because it would be easier to read & the numbers won't be jumping all around.

Federal (anolog) Indicators are good.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
After buying a cheap indicator base once, I will never ever buy anything but Noga again. And I'm partial to Mitutoyo, Starrett's rust bad in humid conditions in my experience

I had a cheap china indicator that I used professionally and it even passed aircraft standards for calibration, worked real good better than a starrett I had, that was about 10 or so years ago paid $10. for it. Until I loaned to someone and it got dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back