Mazda MV the same as Mercon V?

I have a 2008 mazda 5 and it calls for at MV mazda fluid however, it is a Ford transmission in it. Is there any real difference between the too? I realize there probably isn't but I am a purist when it comes to my vehicles. It's just easier to get my hands on mercon v than the MV. Thanks in advance.

No, it is a different spec. From what I searched in the past it has a spec that is from a high temperature compressor fluid, so it is likely some sort of synthetic or at least blend.

I'd use whatever says it's compatible with Mazda M5, maybe try Idemitsu Type M, it seems to be available for a little cheaper than genuine Mazda fluid which I think may be made by Idemitsu as well.

Recently (a few years) Maxlife starts supporting Mazda MV, it wasn't the case back in 2015 when my dad got a Mazda5, but now it does.

Mind boggling that with 10 numerical digits, 26 letters of the alphabet and various emoji, Mazda engineers could have picked a less confusing fluid name. Especially with Mazda and Ford being closely tied @ one point and, I believe, some transmissions taking possible either of the fluids. This is a spec, as Triumph would put it, for me to poop on.

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

In the Ford Manual for the 2009 Mercury Milan, it says to use the Motorcraft fluid that they sell specifically for the FNR5 (xt-9-qmm5) or Mazda M-V fluid for cars equipped with the 5 speed Mazda Transmission.

My Mazda 6 has the FNR5 transmission, I tried Maxlife and the Mazda original fluid, shifts better with Mazda fluid (which is the same thing as Idemitsu type M apparently).

Apparently originally Mazda had a different programming and they were saying that Mercon V wasn't compatible...I think they changed their mind after. Whatever, I'm using the Mazda fluid because it's the same price as Maxlife, amongst the cheapest things I can get in my corner of world, so to me it's a no brainer
smile.gif

In any case my transmission is slowwww, but shifts very smoothly. Not sure if typical of these transmissions, as it's my first long term use of an automatic transmission.

(off topic but i'm also using the Mazda M5 fluid in the power steering)

Those ATF fluids have the same specs, they are just manufactured by different suppliers, based on car manufacturer contracts.

Mazda MV and Mercon V are NOT the same spec.

Idemitsu Type M is the real deal and is readily available and relatively cheap on ebay. I've had several cases of it shipped and its never been a problem (I have multiple pre-Skyactiv Mazdas that use this fluid). You can also use Ford FNR5 fluid from a Ford dealer, if they are stocking it. It is the exact same as Mazda MV.

The various forums are littered with people having used Mercon V and various others (Maxlife, Valvoline Import, etc) long term successfully, others not so successfully. Use whatever you want, but with the real deal being available and not expensive, personally I'm sticking to that.

Originally Posted by 50jeffrey
The Ford version of the M-V fluid is called FNR5. Same stuff.

But from what I remember different color dye.

Seriously, when I bought the Mazda M-V at Mazda dealer 5 years ago, it was only like $4 or $5 a quart, you are wasting your time saving like $1 or $2 a quart over Maxlife.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
[Linked Image]

In the Ford Manual for the 2009 Mercury Milan, it says to use the Motorcraft fluid that they sell specifically for the FNR5 (xt-9-qmm5) or Mazda M-V fluid for cars equipped with the 5 speed Mazda Transmission.

The interesting twist is that Ford discontinued the XT-9-QMM5 fluid a few years ago and now lists XT-5-QMC (Mercon V) as the appropriate ATF for vehicles with an FNR5 transmission.

Mazda, of course, continues to sell their version of the the M5 fluid and continues to recommend against the use of Mercon V in their vehicles.

Personally, I'll just buy the Mazda stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by corster
Originally Posted by blufeb95
[Linked Image]

The interesting twist is that Ford discontinued the XT-9-QMM5 fluid a few years ago and now lists XT-5-QMC (Mercon V) as the appropriate ATF for vehicles with an FNR5 transmission.

Mazda, of course, continues to sell their version of the the M5 fluid and continues to recommend against the use of Mercon V in their vehicles.

Personally, I'll just buy the Mazda stuff.

This is one of those things that makes us parts people hit our head on the wall.

Back