Feel good story(I do) about Profiteers

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Saw the story on NY post yesterday

Only dirtbags would try and do this.

It's funny how he had a change of heart at the end and said he was donating all of it. It was in the NY times and there were over 3k comments about it. He was probably getting death threats before he said he was donating it.

Even if he follows thru be donating it all, he's still made a VERY healthy profit on the stuff that did sell.
Stories like this are the reason why everyone continues to go crazy over nothing at all!
crazy2.gif

I'm not sure how you define crazy or nothing. Those are two extremes. It's both not that crazy as it seems and it's more than nothing. Your comment is the very hype that everyone is against.

Personally I would like to see profiteers fined, arrested or even flogged publicly. Here re two personal observances:

The other day I had to travel from Minneapolis to Owatona to pickup some hardware.I figured I'd get some shopping done at the same time. Stopped at Walmart in Richfield - No TP, minimal produce, meats. and canned goods. Stopped at Walmart in Apple Valley same story. Walmart in Lakeville same story. Picked up my hardware in Owatona and stopped at the Walmart there. Same story, but I did get my shopping done Joked with one of the cashiers about TP. She said that morning a customer came in and bought three pallets of TP, about 2k worth.Stopped for dinner in Owatona. While waiting for food to arrive, I looked on Craigslist for TP. In a nearby town someone was offering 24 roll packs for $200.00. I could see 100% profit, but not 1000% profit. I'd pick flogging over jail time for these scumbags.

Was shopping for some parts on amazon awhile back, flipping between several other vendors for best price with shipping. After searching for awhile between several sites and coming back to Amazon a few times I noticed the price kept creeping up. By the time I found all the parts I needed, Amazon had priced themselves out of the running by 20%. Rock Auto got the 700.00 order with shipping and I saved 155.00 over Amazon with prime. It seems the more times you click on an item in Amazon, it starts bumping the price up.

As a side note, as of last night Amazon was out of stock on many brands of toilet paper, but the Chinese have jumped in to selling TP with only about at 20% markup compared to US prices. Delivery time is a little long though.

Originally Posted by mk378
Many states have laws against scalping prices of essential goods during a disaster. They are geared mostly to hurricanes, floods, etc.

It is not a free market when one capitalist buys up all of a scarce commodity in order to sell it without competition. That defines a market that is not free.

Very well stated.

Make your own hand sanitizers for a lot less.

Isopropyl alcohol
Hydrogen peroxide
Aloe or glycerin or even droplets of liquid soap
tissues/paper towels/cotton swabs/etc.

Make your own mixture and carry in bottles or small sandwich bags. Supplies of the above ingredients are still out there.

Originally Posted by 03cvpi
I looked on Craigslist for TP. In a nearby town someone was offering 24 roll packs for $200.00.

I couldn't look someone in the eye and sell them a 24 pack of TP for $200. I like to sleep at night.

Let the FREE MARKET determine the demand. Somebody buys a 24pack for $200, then SO BE IT.

Government should not interfere with the sales between private parties. Period.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I couldn't look someone in the eye and sell them a 24 pack of TP for $200. I like to sleep well at night.
Never? Suppose all you had was a 24-pack and a few open rolls. Your neighbor is out and desperate. He wants to buy your sealed 24 pack, but you hate to sell it because you don't want to run out yourself. He offers you $200 for it ... this is the essence of supply & demand and bargaining.

My wife's coworker had a huge packs and gave her four of the fancy stuff (normally buys scratch). Her husband works for a gr
Originally Posted by 69GTX
Make your own hand sanitizers for a lot less.

Isopropyl alcohol
Hydrogen peroxide
Aloe or glycerin or even droplets of liquid soap
tissues/paper towels/cotton swabs/etc.

Make your own mixture and carry in bottles or small sandwich bags. Supplies of the above ingredients are still out there.

Better yet start selling it for $200/gallon on Amazon.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by MrMoody
I couldn't look someone in the eye and sell them a 24 pack of TP for $200. I like to sleep well at night.
Never? Suppose all you had was a 24-pack and a few open rolls. Your neighbor is out and desperate. He wants to buy your sealed 24 pack, but you hate to sell it because you don't want to run out yourself. He offers you $200 for it ... this is the essence of supply & demand and bargaining.

You could always just get a bidet.

OORRRR, a simpler method that they used in the old days was used corn cobs.
After your done using it at the kitchen table, you stack them neatly in the outhouse to use when you had to do #2.

Another option was the old Sears catalog that was plentiful in homes across N. America.
But considering how few are left in existence, I'd settle for old newspapers/flyers.
....just need to be careful of papercuts.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Let the FREE MARKET determine the demand. Somebody buys a 24pack for $200, then SO BE IT.

Government should not interfere with the sales between private parties. Period.

Amen. If I want to pay $8.33 a roll, let me. I have no one to blame but myself. If I don't like the price, I'll find a cheaper one.

That being said, I'll be selling TP for $5 a roll
crackmeup2.gif

I believe in the free market as well, but Amazon is not a public utility and can set its own terms. If said hand sanitizer bros want to invest billions into their own online marketplace, they are free to sell their wares at any price of their choosing.

I'm sure all this excessive disinfecting is just cultivating the next superbug…

Originally Posted by 03cvpi
I looked on Craigslist for TP. In a nearby town someone was offering 24 roll packs for $200.00.

I couldn't look someone in the eye and sell them a 24 pack of TP for $200. I like to sleep at night.

It's not insulin, it's TP. If some rich people want it and are willing to pay that much for, you can't blame the seller. Especially when there are plenty of alternatives like paper towels or facial tissue. No different from the express toll lanes around here. At peak times it goes over $40 for a ten mile stretch. For a $500/hour lawyer, it's nothing.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
The hoarder is a selfish, misguided, dirt bag. I hope he gets his comeuppance.

In a way he already did. Stuck with a garage full of product he can't even sell at cost along with some credit card debt.

Originally Posted by mk378
Many states have laws against scalping prices of essential goods during a disaster. They are geared mostly to hurricanes, floods, etc.

It is not a free market when one capitalist buys up all of a scarce commodity in order to sell it without competition. That defines a market that is not free.

Right. If many jurisdictions if the population is preparing for a disaster like a hurricane, you can't jack up the prices of gas or say medications or bottled water.. It's illegal.. what this guy did is fundamentally no different... but maybe there are no such laws prohibiting this were he's at. If that's the case he's lucky..

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
The hoarder is a selfish, misguided, dirt bag. I hope he gets his comeuppance.

In a way he already did. Stuck with a garage full of product he can't even sell at cost along with some credit card debt.

That's just your assumption.

Where in the article does it state that he has incurred cc debt from his investment?
According to the article he's been binge investing in trends for years and has made a "significant return" from them.
Considering his small investment in these items, I'm almost certain he could afford to give this stuff away without even thinking twice of how it'll affect him financially.

Back