In Search Of Torn Filter Media (FL-820S) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received my "supposed" Dremel type diamond cutting wheels. They look like cheap versions of the wheels I currently own, just dolled up to look expensive.
smirk2.gif

I will be starting my C&P tomorrow. Stay tuned. (If this thread don't get locked 1st)
smirk2.gif

DREMEL.jpeg

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I received my "supposed" Dremel type diamond cutting wheels. They look like cheap versions of the wheels I currently own, just dolled up to look expensive.
smirk2.gif

I will be starting my C&P tomorrow. Stay tuned. (If this thread don't get locked 1st)
smirk2.gif

I was doing a lot of ceramic tile work in the kitchen and laundry room. I was using the 12 X 12 sheets of tile that had individual tiles attached to each square. I didn't want to spend money for a tile cutter so used my Dremel to cut the tiles. I used those exact same discs you posted and was pleasantly surprised at how well they worked. Only problem was that about every third or fourth one had a very short life span for some reason. Other than that, they did a fantastic job for me.

And, now for your viewing pleasures, I bring you 2-FL-820S oil filters cut open, in search of the elusive torn filter media. Gasp in disbelief as your eyes witness no torn filter media.
The diamond coated cutting wheel is displayed as well. I find that it did a great job! Look how much is left after cutting 2 filters open, and 1 in half.

829.jpeg

821.jpeg

822.jpeg

823.jpeg

824.jpeg

825.jpeg

826.jpeg

827.jpeg

Pretty ugly pleat spacing ... definitely had the potential to tear. Just because you don't fine one tore yourself doesn't mean they don't tear - we all know they do, and why.

Keep looking BOF, they're out there.

Driving style may also be a factor. What is yours? The Delco PF64 that was found torn I remember the guy drove the Cadillac pretty hard if I remember right. This was a prime candidate for tearing with the pleat spacing, yet as we see, it did not.
I forgot, these were from son's work, so probably don't know driving style.

And, now for your viewing pleasures, I bring you 2-FL-820S oil filters cut open, in search of the elusive torn filter media. Gasp in disbelief as your eyes witness no torn filter media.

I know you'll not understand this and will probably dismiss my comment as heretical, but finding no torn filters is not proof that they do not tear. As I mentioned to you in a different thread, it is far easier to show that something happens rather than to show it does not happen.

Originally Posted by kschachn

I know you'll not understand this and will probably dismiss my comment as heretical, but finding no torn filters is not proof that they do not tear. As I mentioned to you in a different thread, it is far easier to show that something happens rather than to show it does not happen.

But that doesn't prove anything either. It boils down to the % that tear that are examined. We only see the ones that do.

All hope is not lost there KS. I have many more filters to sift thru. I'm sure there's a rotten core among them somewhere. Keep praying for one to appear!
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by tig1

But that doesn't prove anything either. It boils down to the % that tear that are examined. We only see the ones that people want us to see.

There, I fixed it for you.
36.gif

You guys see the little corrugations in the pleats ?
Reckon that's there in an attempt to add structural integrity to a thin and weak paper media. I do.
But that will not beef up the common location where they fail.

By comparison, Mobil 1 (Champ) has synthetic blend and thick material so no need for that extra "wave" …
I have cut them all and attempted to tear them all. Only MC/Purolator tear like xerox paper.

Outside of this forum, I've not witnessed personaly a torn Motorcraft, but I did see years ago much fraying on Purolator PurOne filters in a GM 2.4 Ecotec in my Pontiac Soltice and stopped using them. I moved to Supertechs and they held up much better.

I tore apart a used Fram XG cartridge filter from my Jeep. It took a pair of vice grips and pliars and LOTS of force to tear the pleats apart. I was shocked at how strong they were. The media itself was strong, but it was extremely well bonded to a monofiliment-like mesh.

Some are made stronger than others. That's just a fact. I'll be pulling apart a Mobil 1 filter soon that will have over 7k on it and probably over 8k. I run my Jeep pretty hard, with lots of throttle excursions to the highest rpm range of the Pentastar, so these filters haven't been babied.

I will say this, though. While I only had 2k on it, the OEM Mopar, which I'm certain is a Purolator, held up fine. The pleats, however, were nowhere near as strong as the XG. Of course they aren't backed by anything, either, but the media itself isn't as strong, even without considering the mesh backing in the XG.

I ran FL500S and FL400S filters for a good while in my Jeep 3.8 and Ford 3.5. I never had a known issue, but the bad press makes you wonder if they all held up. A couple of the 3.5 filters went 10k, too. I now run XG's in both vehicles. I'd expect that the odds are good that those MC filters held up, but seeing torn examples shakes the confidence. I've not one time on this forum or anywhere else seen an example of a torn XG or M1. I certainly know why with the M1.

This is why I greatly prefer cartridge filters. You can inspect every one of them.

Thanks OP for posting this. It at least tells us that they probably hold up at least most of the time. I hope they do all the time, really, but I don't think we've seen that.

Originally Posted by tig1
But that doesn't prove anything either. It boils down to the % that tear that are examined. We only see the ones that people want us to see.

There, I fixed it for you.
36.gif

And what's that supposed to mean?

"But that doesn't prove anything either. It boils down to the % that tear that are examined. We only see the ones that do."

The original sentence. TIFIFY is poor etiquette and manners.

Originally Posted by CR94
Tears are much less likely to occur in Louisiana than in the frozen North, other things being equal.

crackmeup2.gif

That thar is funny right thar!

Cold starts/thicker oil, more condensation in cold winter weather, means a cellulose media filter has to be stronger to avoid tears. Even when it is changed EVERY OCI! I had drainback issues with the FL-820S (& even a Frampion CQ Blue) on my 4.6, I've gone to Ultras & haven't looked back, have 10K on the XG2 on there now & will go another 12.5K before I change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back