Now that we will all be huddle up at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
What projects do you have on tap?

Cannot binge Netflix all waking hours. I am too old for video games.

I have a few car repairs, work on my boat and start up snowcat. And move to DE.

Continue outdoor WIFI install/expansion at church camp.

Along with WFH full time

For the first time ever NYS is letting my wife WFH.

Good they finally ran fiber to my house last summer to replace the old copper wire DSL.

I love having fiber--had DSL for years and wow is it nice. I can now truly work from home. Which I plan to, and I suspect I'll keep busy.

Toying with going out for some luan and 2x4's as I should make an enclosure for the vacuum that I'm going to try to use as a dust collector for my scroll saw. Once done then I'm sure I could come up with some projects that I could be doing.

Maybe get a transmission filter for my car, the pan gasket is leaking and it sometimes engages into drive slowly... but TBH I'm tired of working on that car. I suppose if I'm home long enough I should just do the timing belt, was going to do that this summer.

I would like to work on some Arduino stuff, have these transceivers that I'd like to understand. I can get a library but last I looked, it was in C++ and I haven't wrapped my head around classes and object oriented programming--I'd rather redo it in C. No small task for a guy who doesn't like programming.

Should work on getting some good board games going with the kids--kids are now officially home for the next 3 weeks. I'm guessing we're all going to go crazy if we're not careful.

We got a good storm last thursday and it washed more gold into my gully. We panned out a little.it is extreemly small flakes called flour gold.

IMG_20200314_141145.jpg

Oh yeah, I've got a list a mile long. From repairing mama's Polaris 4 wheeler to installing some new wood on the house trim. Then probably paint the house. Hey why not!

I've worked an insane number of hours in recent years, so the projects really got pushed back. I've been chipping away at them this past week and it feels great.

I have some painting to do around here. I do one side of the house a year and rotate. Fresh paint all the time. Inside I have base boards that have been banged into by vacuum robot. Will freshen up the paint on base boards. New hobby will get some more attention. Netflix and Amazon will get some streaming time. Spending some additional time with Scriptures. I do satellite installs and those have dropped off. I don't mind. Actually hoping that the two for this week postpone. Wanted to see a movie coming out next week. I will be passing on that. Temporary but needed changes I think.

I've got a list a mile long too, enough to keep me busy for the (at least) 2 weeks Maryland schools are out. Get the mower ready (oil/filter change & 3 blade sharpen), repair the pressure washer, get the bicycle fleet ready. Just started on that last one yesterday, replaced a rear derailleur and hanger that got smooshed somehow.

For special/new projects, if I have the time I'll get out the Drill Doctor 500 and sharpen up my piles of drill bits. I got the DD over 10 years ago, and with all my inherited bits it's taken that long for all of them to get dull again. But now it's time.

Reloading sounds fun, doubt if I'll be able to get to that with the kids underfoot though. That's for free time w/o kids!

I spent all Saturday working on my work truck. Cleaned 10 years of grime out with a tooth brush and mother's vinyl protector. Washed it and waxed it. Did some quicky undercoating with rust check spray cans.

Oil change, spark plugs, power steering fluid change, etc. Catching up on years worth of lack of maintenance by my employer before I bought the truck from him a few weeks ago.

IMG_20200315_174603.jpg

IMG_20200315_174558.jpg

IMG_20200315_174615.jpg

IMG_20200314_191158.jpg

IMG_20200314_193539.jpg

IMG_20200314_193332.jpg

IMG_20200314_191203.jpg

I picked up a couple gallons of Sherwin Williams Emerald Trim Enamel this afternoon and I'll be starting to paint all our kitchen cabinets. They are decent quality oak Merrilat cabinets, about 10 years old and in good shape, finished in a terrible pinkish glaze. I'll be spraying the doors and drawer fronts in a spray booth I put together in the basement and finishing the boxes with a brush and roller. I'll also be adding soft-close to all the doors. Appliances will be replaced as they're removed for paint (dishwasher, range, microwave, in that order, and fridge soon after). Eventually, new counters and a tile backsplash.

I'm WFH until further notice. I'll still be getting up at my normal time, running in the morning, then logging in for work.

My wife is a teacher, so she will be busy butting together distance learning lessons and filming video. Both my school-age kids are home.

With no commute, I'll have a bunch of podcasts queued up to listen to during the workday. These are normally listened to in the car.

Sometime I'll swap out the winter wheels on my truck, and change the oil on the snow blower, then swap it with the mower that's currently in the shed.

I have about 25 R/C cars I still need to finish cleaning/fixing/assembling then sell. They have been a project for years so I don't think I'm going to get them done in the next two-four weeks but they certainly are something I need to spend some time on.

Lots of gadgets I need to clean up and put on Craigslist.

Our carpet is disgusting so maybe I should put the upright carpet cleaner I bought last year to good use.

Plenty of movies and shows I DVR'd to watch 'someday'. Well someday may be here.

Installing new window and door casings, baseboard, and interior doors to a new and modern style. First time using a miter saw, so making mistakes on miters and stuff, but learning as I go. I really enjoy doing finish carpentry, even if I am not very good at it. haha

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaDad
Installing new window and door casings, baseboard, and interior doors to a new and modern style. First time using a miter saw, so making mistakes on miters and stuff, but learning as I go. I really enjoy doing finish carpentry, even if I am not very good at it. haha

Old school finish carpenters use to run one piece of baseboard all the way to the wall. Then take a hand jigsaw and cut the end of the other piece so it fits around the outside of the first. No gap to show if things moved a bit. Who needs a miter saw?

Originally Posted by Donald

Old school finish carpenters use to run one piece of baseboard all the way to the wall. Then take a hand jigsaw and cut the end of the other piece so it fits around the outside of the first. No gap to show if things moved a bit. Who needs a miter saw?

That would be a coping saw.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/494-the-coping-saw/

Originally Posted by Donald

That's called coping and you use a coping saw, youtube it. All I've ever done, learned it from my wife's grandpa back in Pa. It's the right way, not hard to do and rewarding. Unfortunately here in the SW the "finish" carpenters do miters with a caulking gun.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Nice shine on that rig. What'd you use?

Meguiars gold class Wax on the paint and mother's protectant on the interior stuff. I forgot to take a picture after I did a more thorough job, the dash looks a lot better now.

Whole family of 4 working at home or school at home, it will be interesting. Our neighborhood is running out of food because of all the people finally realize you cannot mail order everything just in time, so they panic buy everything that has more than 3 days of shelf life. We got most of what we need after 5 trips to different stores and times, but we are still missing beef and pasta sauce. We have been eating 2 dozen of eggs last week, and plain pasta in broth ramen style once a day.

do you own a bicycle? can't think of a better time to get out and ride. Social distancing and all... The road are more empty than ever. It's actually been downright pleasant riding outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back