245/45ZR20

My Challenger will need tires soon...currently has (mis-sized) Sumitomo HTR. I will run snows, so dedicated summer tires are preferred...the Kumho Exsta 91 looks good. Anyone here used that tire?

Im making a couple of assumptions here so forgive me if I'm wrong...

You want a dedicated summer tyre so you're interested in something that will generate a lot of grip in dry conditions

A Challenger is a powerful car so you probably like to 'open her up' from time to time, and, its a heavy car too so you want a tyre that can translate your braking power into stopping power.

In the size you reference in the thread title there are two strong contenders;

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
or
Yokohama Parada spec X

Both available on amazon/ebay for home delivery if your preferred tyre place cant get them

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I will run snows,

Which size are you going to run for winter?

I was initially considering getting snow tires for the Charger until I saw how obscenely expensive low profile 20" winter tires are, plus not very good against winter potholes. I decided to just continue using my old BMW as a winter beater. This way I can keep salt and grime away from the Charger.

As for your original question, it appears you are looking at low priced max perf tires. That particular Kumho has rather poor ratings on TR. I would look at Hankook Ventus V12 for not a lot more.

Originally Posted by Olas

You want a dedicated summer tyre so you're interested in something that will generate a lot of grip in dry conditions

A Challenger is a powerful car so you probably like to 'open her up' from time to time, and, its a heavy car too so you want a tyre that can translate your braking power into stopping power.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
or
Yokohama Parada spec X

Both available on amazon/ebay for home delivery if your preferred tyre place cant get them

I will usae 4 different brands of used Chinese trailer tires before giving a cent to Michelin.

The Yokohamas are explicitly NOT dedicated summer tires, they're all-seasons. (They're not even ZR rated.)

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I will run snows,

Which size are you going to run for winter?

I was initially considering getting snow tires for the Charger until I saw how obscenely expensive low profile 20" winter tires are, plus not very good against winter potholes. I decided to just continue using my old BMW as a winter beater. This way I can keep salt and grime away from the Charger.

As for your original question, it appears you are looking at low priced max perf tires. That particular Kumho has rather poor ratings on TR. I would look at Hankook Ventus V12 for not a lot more.

Probably 235/55 or 235/60R18 for snows.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
or
Yokohama Parada spec X

I will usae 4 different brands of used Chinese trailer tires before giving a cent to Michelin.

The Yokohamas are explicitly NOT dedicated summer tires, they're all-seasons. (They're not even ZR rated.)

They're Z rated - I read it as Z R20. The pedant in me sees a difference between ZRr20 and Z R20. Sorry

Originally Posted by Mainia
These are killer tires, and affordable. I am trying to get some for autocross, but my size was a limited car spec and did not sell so, they maybe dropped. These tires are always a 1/2 wider then any tire on the market in the same size.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...all&partnum=445YR0UVXL&tab=Sizes

That...might work.

Can you post a photo of your car ?

I know you were search high and low for the perfect Challenger. ðŸ‘

Hmm... I thought your car had the same Brembo brakes as mine. On mine, nothing smaller than 20" will fit.

If 18s do fit, then yeah, there will be lots of reasonably priced winter tires available.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Hmm... I thought your car had the same Brembo brakes as mine. On mine, nothing smaller than 20" will fit.

If 18s do fit, then yeah, there will be lots of reasonably priced winter tires available.

Check challengertalk.com for details...several people have put 18s on theirs. It seems SXT wheels will fit with 1/4-1/2" spacers, and Tire Rack has "KV5 Sport Edition" 18s that will clear the 4-piston Brembos, no spacers required. (Though I'd bet you'd need to put all balance weights on the side away from the caliper.)

You probably have 6-piston brakes (switched, at least on Challengers, in 2015), in which case...I have no idea and you're on your own. Got a pic of your front calipers? I can compare to mine easily enough.

Factory SXT 18s on an SRT 392:
[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
or
Yokohama Parada spec X

They're Z rated - I read it as Z R20. The pedant in me sees a difference between ZRr20 and Z R20. Sorry

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...wall&partnum=445VR0PSX&tab=Specs

No, they are not. They are V-rated all-seasons.

Yeah...those are DEFINITELY different from mine. How much space between the outside of the caliper and the wheel?

Then to quote a crazy Irishman from Braveheart, "I'm afraid you might be ****ed."

Oh, I already knew I could not go below 20". I was just surprised when you said you could. I thought our cars had the same Brembos, but it appears they don't.

My Challenger will need tires soon...currently has (mis-sized) Sumitomo HTR. I will run snows, so dedicated summer tires are preferred...the Kumho Exsta 91 looks good. Anyone here used that tire?

Last time I used Kumho I got them on VW CC brand new (car was CPO). Absolute garbage. They were Ecsta LX or something like that. I am not religious guy, but when braking in wet I was reconsidering approach to religion.
Got Michelin PSS after that and those tires defied laws of physics.

Last edited:
Back