Need a replacement vehicle (when to buy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Maybe you could try a new Pilot? I drove by the Marysville, OH Honda dealer today which has 101 Pilots in stock. They have tons of CR-V's, Pilots and Civics parked at that dealer along U.S. 33.
https://www.hondamarysville.com/

Well I'm sure you could try a new Pilot, but realistically, who really wants to?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Maybe you could try a new Pilot? I drove by the Marysville, OH Honda dealer today which has 101 Pilots in stock. They have tons of CR-V's, Pilots and Civics parked at that dealer along U.S. 33.
https://www.hondamarysville.com/

Well I'm sure you could try a new Pilot, but realistically, who really wants to?

lol.gif

Someone at work bought a new passport, it actually looks kind of nice!

Auto sales in the West Palm Beach area have plummeted. Dealerships are starting to "get it" and offering deals. Also the FED lowered the rate to 0 percent, so new and used car loans should be trending down to the lowest rates now. Bankrate is now showing the average new car loan is just over 4%.

I believe manufacturers will also start offering incentives. I hope to see some 0% loans from Ford and GM.

I also need a car and I'm going to make offers on 2019 leftovers. I even found 3 Chevy Volt 2018 leftovers. I'd like one if the price were low enough.

Last edited:
Even in these challenging times, the dealers still want to maximize profit. Nothing wrong with that.

When I first met my wife, we went to a used car lot where I wanted to look at a Mazda. They were asking $6500. After some back and forth, what can you do for the price, how much you wanna pay, blah, blah, blah, they asked me to name my price and write it on this little piece of paper. I was thinking $5000. My g/f, whose ex was a car salesman, said to write down $3000. I thought they'd throw us out. They came down to $3250 and went came up to $3200 and the deal fell through. We walked. They chased after us and said they'd do the deal for $3200. We said, too late and left. Taught me a lot about negotiations. It's totally not personal to the dealers. They don't get offended. Tell them what you'll pay and what you want.

No owing a timing belt job unless you really trust them. Have them knock a thou off or have them do the job and warranty it.

I doubt you'l see write-off / fire sales for now given the consensus that this will be a six week to couple of months disruption. Low interest loans may be an incentive.

I'm curious how all the folks who are not traveling or taking kids to practice while now working from home (myself included) will impact repair/service shops. Less car use = delayed need for oil changes, new tires, etc. How long will take to show up?

With all the uncertainty going in now? It's gotta be a buyer's market.

Under normal days, I always had great luck buying around Christmas time. I'll never forget the sales staff playing euchre on 12/23 many years ago when I bought a Wrangler from them.

Depends on which factor wins:

1) Recession -> lower demand
2) World production halt due to coronavirus -> lower supply
3) Tax refund season -> increase demand
4) lower interest rate -> increase demand

Need versus timing -

I do think its good advice to make an offer and walk if left hanging. I'd be shooting for an offer $1000 to $1500 below a normal low bid. Leave them your number if you have some wiggle room on timing and let it play out. If time isn't on your side, start Monday and hit a few places. Social distancing ? Sure, shop, deal and buy via internet. Evenings or Sunday are great for seeing vehicles without being too bother by sales peeps, then you do the online thing. Price and service can be negotiated so an extended warranty they like to up-sell anyways might be had for a 60 or 75% discount as part of the deal.

Shopping or buying in down market is smart or good timing, not taking advantage like the looters and gougers on jacked up pricing.
I try to shop smart to make our money go farther and I view saving money as making money sort of. Good luck. I believe you'll find some good deals easily already. If you have some flexibility or time, the better deal might be a few days out or even a week or two. If you are hot on vehicles that are popular, it'll be almost biz as usual, competing the with other prospective buyers that can cost you some leverage.

Originally Posted by fsdork
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Anytime a seller won't negotiate,I walk.

Regardless of asking price vs. market value? That seems like a silly strategy. If it's a good deal, it's a good deal, regardless of whether or not you get there by haggling.

There's always room for negotiation,as sellers always seem to want top mint condition price regardless of actual condition.

There's always room for negotiation,as sellers always seem to want top mint condition price regardless of actual condition.

Unless a vehicle has a spectacular "give away" type price, I tend to agree.

Hahahaha, it's the "price is high because my Corvette has the _______ " syndrome. (fill in the blank with pinstripes, Z51 painted or chrome wheels, charcoal color with red interior, or other worthless nonsense)

People really do believe their vehicles will sell for top dollar, and in interesting times like these, I'm starting to see the same vehicle sitting unsold for too long now.

Originally Posted by Cujet

Unless a vehicle has a spectacular "give away" type price, I tend to agree.

Hahahaha, it's the "price is high because my Corvette has the _______ " syndrome. (fill in the blank with pinstripes, Z51 painted or chrome wheels, charcoal color with red interior, or other worthless nonsense)

People really do believe their vehicles will sell for top dollar, and in interesting times like these, I'm starting to see the same vehicle sitting unsold for too long now.

Yep exactly! You'll see these proud sellers who think their used car is made of gold or something. And just like you said,it'll sit unsold till it literally rots. They need to realize it's just a used second hand car.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by madRiver
I am not interested in profiteering just paying closer to what they took a vehicle in for at trade in.

Buying low from a distressed party isn't much different than selling high to a distressed party due to a calamitous event.

No matter, you'll likely be able to deal more aggressively than normal pretty soon.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/32670...aWxipZUc_2ctP3wcpScXQS9A9VNHI85bk5naF790

Looks like the opposite is happening

I just saw that GM is offering 0% financing for 84 months. And those with top credit can defer the first payment for 120 days. ..... They will also deliver the car to your home and disinfect it.

Ford is allowing people to defer payments on new purchases for as much as 3 months, and 6 months of "payment relief" what ever that means (I honestly don't know) Ford said it has a new "vehicle disinfection process"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back