Need a replacement vehicle (when to buy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in need of a replacement vehicle.

The used auto market is going to go up or down??

Guessing up. I am considering a 2015 Honda Pilot unfortunately at a dealer but wondering if leverage on pricing will improve.

Dealer repair discounting???

I am also aware it needs a timing belt service and hoping the Acura or Honda dealer offer discounted repairs due to likely slower times. My current 2007 MDX on a slow snow day dealer/offered did the timing belt for 30% off during some bad snow storms as customers all cancelled and techs were hanging out.

I would not expect the same of a independent shop.

Thoughts?

Go in there and make them a lowball offer, contingent on a new timing belt. If they say no, take no offense.

Why ask the entire internet if this deal will go through? We don't know.
21.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
Go in there and make them a lowball offer, contingent on a new timing belt. If they say no, take no offense.

Why ask the entire internet if this deal will go through? We don't know.
21.gif

Would you trust a selling dealer besides Honda/Acura to replace aN interference timing belt?

I'm betting new and used car market going down. Who's buying cars today or tomorrow or next week to busy buying toilet paper etc. Unsure of holding jobs and time lost are you getting paid? Car sales will crash like they did in China look it up. Big incentives will be put on the hood probably starting soon.

I believe prices will go down for a while with CV and the economy. A timing belt is less than $1000.00 to replace at most dealerships. I like Honda's but wouldn't buy another one with a timing belt. That's a major cost that you don't have to purchase on most vehicles. The Honda Civic and CRV do not have timing belts they have timing chains that last the lifetime of the engine. I think it will be a buyers market in about a month.

with social distancing and self isolation, there are very few people walking round used car lots looking to buy. the dealers are gettig desperate so if you wait a few more weeks they'll take any number you offer. profiteering in reverse?

Originally Posted by nickaluch
I'm betting new and used car market going down. Who's buying cars today or tomorrow or next week to busy buying toilet paper etc.

Who's buying TP ?

I'm buying batteries

Originally Posted by Olas
with social distancing and self isolation?

I don't see any social distancing at all.
At SAMs there were so many people crammed in that they didn't even have carts, had to shuffle your feet so you didn't hit the next guy.

Thankfully they had piles of TP (that I didn't buy) but they were all out of their premade dinners, fish, yogurt, ice cream bars and most fruit.

Yet no one was buying beef, alcohol aisle was overflowing as were all the junk food aisles

Not really sure why you would stock up on food that lasts at most a week but here we are and stranger still everything was on clearance too.

7FB8E107-3B88-409E-B462-4493F4989AF9.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, it's funny, I'm in the same predicament...looking to buy a used/yet newer SUV for the wife. Two weeks ago money wasn't really an issue, but since the virus we have lost $15,000 (due to a project that was cancelled because of the virus).

So immediately I thought...well there goes that SUV we were going to buy, but now I wonder...maybe not. I imagine everyone is going to be feeling the sting of this virus financially - I would expect used car prices to drop - these people need to sell their inventory and purchase new inventory at reduced prices. They need to move this stuff. Who is going to be going out and buying cars right now unless they have to? Getting cars fixed is a different story - it's what makes car repairs kind of immune to recessions - if the economy is bad, people fix their cars and don't buy new ones.

So I'm hoping the used car market will drop and offset the loss in income I just incurred.

I'm looking at both new and used cars right now. The new car I'm interested in has been on the lot for almost six months- and while I like it I don't need it, so I'll wait and see how much lower the price will drop(it's currently $7,000 under the MSRP).

To the OP go look around at cars. Speak to the saleperson and leave your number and say when you need a sale at the end of the month to give you call. I bet if you do that for 3-4 dealers you can flip it around and get what you want.

If they have a clue about sales then they'll get back you.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I am not interested in profiteering just paying closer to what they took a vehicle in for at trade in.

Buying low from a distressed party isn't much different than selling high to a distressed party due to a calamitous event.

No matter, you'll likely be able to deal more aggressively than normal pretty soon.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Anytime a seller won't negotiate,I walk.

Regardless of asking price vs. market value? That seems like a silly strategy. If it's a good deal, it's a good deal, regardless of whether or not you get there by haggling.

Originally Posted by DaRider34
any deals on porsches or benzes?

There's always a deal. Still there was some major discounting back in 2009 when the market had collapsed in 2008. Car production also suffered as they made 2/3 the number of cars in the previous year. Probably have to wait for it though.

May be a big influx of used cars hitting the market soon. Probably lots of Honda's and Toyota's because of demographics.

My guess is you can take advantage of the current market; my guess is you can do pretty well.
Just as in any market, play the sellers off each other.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back