Best airliner?

Astro is right, major airlines are in much better financial shape than previous years. More cash on hand, more unencumbered assets, and years of focus on efficiency from route planning to fleets. That said, it's not going to be painless- our European route based employees, from pilots to support staff (engineers, records, etc) are obviously in an exposed position now. We are grounding some of our fleets (those that served European and Asian flights) as well as accelerating the retirements of our 757 and 767 fleets. It won't be painless, but the airlines will survive for a while.

With only 10 or so passengers on a jet the fuel efficiency has taken a huge dive. Makes piston power and props look real good, diesel of course so it can burn that low energy Kerosene.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by SEMI_287
757 and 767. They're comfortable and work horses. Although old now, sadly.

Two of the best-flying, best performing, airliners ever built. They made be old, but I plan to keep flying them until they're parked.

Just did OE with an FO last week. Good kid. Good hands. 30 years of flying a taildragger (his own), 20 years of flying A-10s in USAF and 6 years of flying 737 really showed. Winds in EWR were 290/28G43, Landing 22L. I let him have the landing.

It was right on the money - the combination of a good pilot and capable, predictable, good-handling airplane.

I've heard that from everyone that's flown them. Good handling and predictable. Never been up front during flight but sitting in back the 757 was a powerhouse. Many many many commutes home from MCO in the back. Hot and high density alt didn't seem to bother them much.

Agree … but the B787 is a better experience since it controls the inside atmosphere in a different manner.

Back