Clean/Maintain wood stocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cleaned my JC Higgins Model 20 12 gauge yesterday. Inherited from my Dad...not sure it has been cleaned in my lifetime. What are the recommendations for cleaning/maintenance for wood stocks???

I have a JC Higgins 410 that was my dad's when he was a little kid. He gave it to me when I was a little kid. I always just used Pledge on it. Still in mint condition.

Old guns, particularly rare Winchesters used linseed oil finishes. In fact, the smell of the stock is important to a collector! If you have this kind of finish, stick with that or even a mixture of linseed Oil and Liquid Gold.

If it's a modern finish, I'd use a good wood cleaner like Liquid Gold, or even Murphies Oil Soap. Finish up with an oil of some kind, like Linseed or the Liquid Gold.

The most important part of the shotgun BORE is the forcing cone, just ahead of the chamber. This can accumulate plastic from wads over the years. The best way to clean this is Shooter's Choice and a wire brush. I'd venture that you would be amazed at what comes out.

I have an old H&R Lynx Model 800 with an original wood stock. Valued at under $150 in excellent condition so I tried something on it. Wiped the stock down with Boeshield T9 a couple of years back, which is a paraffin wax product. Seemed to work VERY well. Left a nice luster while weather sealing the wood. Since then I've wiped it down with Fluid Film a couple times when putting the gun away with the same results.

Originally Posted by bcossa2001
Cleaned my JC Higgins Model 20 12 gauge yesterday. Inherited from my Dad...not sure it has been cleaned in my lifetime. What are the recommendations for cleaning/maintenance for wood stocks???

I use Ballistol.

Boiled linseed oil for some; boiled linseed oil and genuine tung oil mox for others; high gloss gets the pledge just like a carbon fiber bike!

100% Tung oil is very inexpensive and dead easy to use. Wipe on, let it set, wipe off. Repeat until the wood quits absorbing more oil.

BSW

It's a glossy stock, right?

So, you're maintaining a varnish.

In that case, any furniture product designed for a gloss finish, like Pledge, would be good.

Linseed oil is my choice for stocks, like old military rifles, that came oiled. I use a 50/50 mix of real turpentine and boiled linseed oil to clean and preserve those stocks.

One odd exception, my Swiss K-31. The Swiss has an unusual mixture of 30 % Turpentine, 30 % Linseed oil, 30 % Fruit (wine) vinegar and 10 % Bees wax.

For that rifle, I use that finish to keep it in shape.

But for a simple, varnish finish, use a furniture product. It's designed for varnish.

Yes, a glossy finish.....
What should I clean it with prior to polishing? Mineral spirits?? Murphy's oil soap?? Simple green???

I use lemon oil on my 1930 LC Smith SxS double barrel 12 gauge shotgun. A few drops on the finger tips then rub it in then lightly buff. Repeat...again and again. That old walnut was really thirsty when I first bought it several years ago. Looks great now.

What should I clean it with prior to polishing? Mineral spirits?? Murphy's oil soap?? Simple green???

If you can get all the metal away, Id try a dilute mix of hot water and white vinegar, and then go up from there. Not sure about murphy's, might be fine. Id personally avpoid simple green but others may disagree.

Just spray some furniture polish on a rag and wipe down the stock and see how it does. It can't be that dirty.

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
100% Tung oil is very inexpensive and dead easy to use. Wipe on, let it set, wipe off. Repeat until the wood quits absorbing more oil.

BSW

Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back