Car projects while at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone planning car/mechanical projects to fill the time? Feeling like a few weeks at home is imminent so I've started making a list of some car projects that need done. I was going to change the oil in my wife's car yesterday but decided to wait. If I'm stuck at home, some car work like oil changes, diff. services, trailer wheel bearings, etc. will be a welcome distraction.

We are going from 45 hours a week to 50-55... maybe higher yet if our inventory gets wiped out.

Otherwise I'll be cleaning them out thoroughly, they both desperately need it.

If it comes down to it, I'll paint my son's room. Detail my Jeeps, weather permitting, rotate tires, clean up the garage, etc. The list is endless. I have a feeling business is going to be slow for the next few months amid fear, so odds are I'll be in perfect health to do all these projects.

Good question … have tickets to fly through London in a couple weeks … could wind up in a Houston hotel or if lucky, on a work from home list.
All vehicles could use a deep clean.

Been spreading out every day chores. Used to bring the mail in all at once. Now I take a walk down the driveway, grab one letter and bring it inside. An hour or so later I go get another one and so on. Kills the day.

Mostly planning!
I'm getting ready to swap out the winter wheels/tires for the all season sets for the upcoming Spring. Moving things around in the shed for better accessibility. I'll also be checking out the brakes while I'm at it.

And I need to get the cars cleaned up as we start to get some warmer days(still in the 30s F here). Also sorting through my(NEW) oil stash & ATF/CVT stash and getting'em lined up per the seasons coming.

Yesterday, I actually got out the yard rake and started to clean up the tree/limb debris in the yard from winter now that the snow is gone. Just checking out the yard divots from limbs & branches along with rodent damage.

Still grilling on the patio!
laugh.gif

CB

Last edited:
no heat in my garage so car work has to be delayed...I do have a torpedo heater but cant take the fumes from the thing so its only for "has to been done now" work on cars..yeah both cars could use a good cleaning but not till it warms up inside house jobs, well the wife always has the honey do list going on….lol.. my boss has delayed jobs ( home remodeling work ) basically because people dont want us there so we might be off for a week or two...it wont hurt me much as i'm basically retired and really don't have to work but still do part time ,I can get thru all this , shouldn't be a problem... maybe someone is telling me its time to fully retire ...lol

Last edited:
I'm expecting to do so. I'm planning to watch email 16 hours a day, but really do work in off hours and night. I'm expecting the networks to remote into work services, and perhaps even just local IT networks, to be slow and sometimes unreachable. Night will be better.

So between that and needing to oversee instruction for the kids, I plan to make use of the daylight not no traditional weekday work hour activities, and work at night my usual 8+.

^ Funny you mention that, I wonder if Netflix etc will voluntarily do some throttling so the entire internet doesn't break.

A week ago I ordered a few parts proactively... wanted them to get through the mail system.

Two tires for the truck, a strut mount for my prius so it doesn't squeak, better-than-HF strut spring compressors, a UV light for my well water purification (hit 10k hours on the old one).

After all that it looks like a great time to clean and organize... everything. Like those dumb boxes of stuff left over from moving out of college 20+ years back.

Nothing out of the usual for me. It will be routine maintenance. Probably 2 brake jobs this summer and some rear suspension work on the civic which was delayed from last year.

I just installed a hot and cold frost free faucet for the garage yesterday. It was nice to wash a car with warm water up here in the rust belt.

I bought some ceramic coating so that will be the first line of business when it warms up a bit.

I'm working 2 hours away from home so I'm only home weekends.

I just did my MTF on my Mazda finally. I've had the fluid for months. It felt good to not be rushed because I had to be "somewhere".

I'm not yet under official quarantine, but since that may be imminent, I'm planning to take all the extra free time and spend it on my Rx7. I already have all my university classes moved to an online format, which saves 15+ hours / week before drive time. If work is suspended (retail), the only thing I need to do is keep on top of my online homework.

I won't be able to bypass the biggest obstacle (needs tires I cannot yet justify buying), but this is probably a good time to try tidying all the "loose ends" that accumulate during a project.

Wasn't planning on it, but now that you say it, it wouldn't be a bad idea. I could stand to change trans & PS fluid in my beater, although I'd hate to change PS fluid and have to do it again come summer, when the TB is due. Maybe I should mailorder a TB kit and do it now instead of later?

Starting to think about getting some lumber and making an enclosure for vacuum in the basement--I like to do scrollsaw work on occasion, but haven't in months as I don't have a good dust filtration system (and am too cheap to spend money on one).

But in reality, I'll probably still be putting in 40-50 hours per week, I just won't be spending 2 hours per day driving. So no plans. Maybe look at wife's car, I bet it needs sway bar links (there was a rattle last time I drove it).

One of the cars needs a caliper, another needs rear brakes. Gonna wait for some warmer days and knock 'em out.

Originally Posted by mclasser
One of the cars needs a caliper, another needs rear brakes. Gonna wait for some warmer days and knock 'em out.

Got a precious few weeks now before the bugs come out.

Mebbe it is time to do a drain and fill on Camrys. Get the mowers going. Right now I'm staging the front of the addition in preparation to R+R shingles. I bought the mat'ls 10 yrs ago.
grin2.gif

Might do the front brakes on my Camry. Still has factory pad and it's over 100k miles.

I am going to repaint my Lund Tree GrandSport. It's aluminum and the top half which is about 2-3 feet high could use a respay and new decals. It has some dock rash
and the usual scratches one would get on a 2007 boat. That will keep me busy for a week. I also have a ton of little projects I can do such as detailing my cars and the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back