2009 Lincoln MKZ & 2010 cadillac STS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for opinions on there two cars.

1. 2009 lincoln mkz 70000 kilometres one owner all service records .$6000.

2. 2010 Cadillac sts. v6. second owner, 74000 kilometres never winter driven $8500.

I know both cars have there issues, the ford water pump scares me.

the cadillac i think may nickel and dime a person to death .

All comments and recommendations accepted.

What are you using these cars for Daily Drivers or weekend toys? How long do you plan on keeping these cars for?

Do you do your own maintenance? Personally I would stay away from domestic high end cars. If you want something nice look for a Lexus. You'll have less headaches with a Lexus.

Originally Posted by JC1
Personally I would stay away from domestic high end cars. If you want something nice look for a Lexus. You'll have less headaches with a Lexus.

I suppose that's a tiny bit better than recommending a Camry or Crown Vic.
Maybe.

I'm not sure about either, The MKZ from that timeframe uses the duratec V6 with the water pump driven off the timing chain, The Caddy uses the 3.6L that had timing chain issues, but may have been corrected sometime before the 2010 model year, of the two I guess I'd take the Caddy over the MKZ.

Not a fan of either manufacturer for aging vehicles; my father's 200x LS aged pretty badly and had < 60K on it when he got rid of it.

I'd agree with JC WRT high end domestics, but if you can tolerate that and are set on either one, what's the big deal.

For that kind of $ I'd be looking at something like

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...er.selectedEntity=d565#listing=264526409

There is a market reason a lexus with double the age is in the same price range.

I owned a 2009 MKZ for about 18 months and put about 24k on it in that time. Purchased at 76k and reached 100 when traded. Honestly it was a great car. I had initially purchased it for a temporary vehicle solution, I didn't get rid of it due to any problems. I traded it in on my Passat which had been the plan once we sold a second house.

The ticking time bomb water pump bothered me but I had no issues. I did not know about that until I owned it. Mine was built about 3 days before Ford figured out they had failed to properly lube the front suspension upon assembly. So it made a lot of front suspension noise, but I found spraying "Fluid Film" on it would make it dead silent for months. Mine was AWD, supposedly the PTU were problems spots on those as well, but mine did not leak at all. Fords "intelligent awd" system was actually impressive, it worked really well. I had the PTU fluid changed when I bought it that was it.

No knowledge of the Cadillac.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Not a fan of either manufacturer for aging vehicles; my father's 200x LS aged pretty badly and had < 60K on it when he got rid of it.

I'd agree with JC WRT high end domestics, but if you can tolerate that and are set on either one, what's the big deal.

For that kind of $ I'd be looking at something like

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...er.selectedEntity=d565#listing=264526409

There is a market reason a lexus with double the age is in the same price range.

I agree! That's a beautiful car! The older larger Lexus and Infiniti cars are my favorite luxury cars.

No win situation here. The wp on the ford is guaranteed to fail eventully. The caddy timing chain may last,or may not. I think the caddy is a slightly better choice.

Last edited:
The water pumps are really not a bad job if that's all that's stopping you on the Lincoln. If you are a good DIYer you could do it yourself.

Generally I would go with the Caddy however for $2,500 less money I would take the Lincoln. I think the Lincoln would be more trouble free as well. The Caddy is way more bling IMHO. To go from point A to B the Lincoln will serve you well. You didn't say which colors they were. If the Lincoln is a gold or champagne color and the Caddy is Black, White, Red, or any decent color the Caddy would win. It's all about looks and if one had chrome wheels and the other one has painted silver wheels that makes a difference too. Interior colors are important too as well as navigation. There are just too many variables to give you much advice. Next time maybe post pictures of each one. So, with the info provided save the $2500 and buy the Lincoln.

If you get the Caddy go with short oil change intervals (4k miles). Even using decent conventional or syn-blend oils will be fine. Don't go 7-8k miles on synthetic or the car will prob need a new timing chain in short order. From a post on here, a Cadillac service advisor said the only cars that didn't have issues were the rental cars that had frequent $20 oil changes at the tire stores. All the ones that went 7k or longer on synthetic had timing chain problems.

A lot of the tire places, for instance Firestone use Quaker State conventional which is really a syn-blend. Years ago they used to use Kendall syn-blend.

The nice thing about the MKZ is it's a fair chunk less money for only a year older.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I would stay away from both of those cars unless you're a mechanic.

Thinking this is what i will do.

1) Lexus 3GS GS350
2) Infiniti M37
3) Acura TLX
4) Hyundai Genesis Sedan
5) Volvo S60 T5

Every one of these is more reliable then the Ford or GM, and in my opinion both age better and are better "drivers cars" then the STS or MKZ.

Originally Posted by mattd
The water pumps are really not a bad job if that's all that's stopping you on the Lincoln. If you are a good DIYer you could do it yourself.

are you nuts?

Originally Posted by GZRider
1) Lexus 3GS GS350
2) Infiniti M37
3) Acura TLX
4) Hyundai Genesis Sedan
5) Volvo S60 T5

Every one of these is more reliable then the Ford or GM, and in my opinion both age better and are better "drivers cars" then the STS or MKZ.

Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back