What happened to Tecumseh snowblower engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much snow down here … but had a T-motor on a tiller years back. That engine would scream, never bog down, and the tiller would turn hard packed dirt into perfect planting soil …
Gave it away running good when I quit doing larger gardens
Not sure if they spun faster or not, seemed like it anyway

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Clayslayer
Tecumseh sucks. They are most finicky, hard to start, gas hog, LOUD, weezy engines I've ever had the displeasure to use. They went out of business because they suck. The Snow King had a big pull handle so you could get a mighty good grip on it as you pull it four hundred fifty times to get it started in February. Hate em. Absolutely hate em. Chonda? The patent ran out on the GX200 eons ago. They're fair game to copy. The GX200 is the perfect design for general purpose horizontal engines. The Champion, LCT, and Predator engines are absolutely stellar. They start with one pull and run like a dream. I have repowered five different machines with Predator (2 snowblowers, a push mower, a sidewalk edger, and a mini bike). All have been flawless from the start. I have a Champion generator with a 196cc engine that has given gawd knows how many hours of boringly reliable trouble free service. Can't beat em? Join em. Tecumseh refused to do so. Late 1990s Tecumseh engines were using technology that was outdated in 1950. BuT wHy Did tHeY Go oUt oF bUsiNesS??? Duh. Throw em in a lake.

Resurrecting a 10 year old thread to express your useless thoughts on Tecumseh probably because you do not have the knowledge to understand how they work and keep one running.

I got a chuckle out of your post.
I know Tecumseh engines were not the cream of the crop. I know they were cheapies. I know this is only one incident, but.....
A couple of decades ago, my mom bought a riding lawn mower that had a Tecumseh engine in it. You couldn't kill that thing. It lasted 15 years and we didn't have a complaint on the engine.
Her replacement mower had a B&S engine. It didn't last a year before it froze up and was a real piece of junk. Luck of the draw, I guess. (Still trying to figure up why a 10-year old thread was resurrected)

Resurrecting a 10 year old thread to express your useless thoughts on Tecumseh probably because you do not have the knowledge to understand how they work and keep one running.

cheers3.gif

Could be worse you know,
He could have started a brand new thread to post this.

Also I enjoy a trip down memory lane,
To think in 2010 you COULD WALK INTO A SEARS.

Got a chuckle out of this.

I was always a Tecumseh fan. Even as a kid in the 70s, we would always look for a Tecumseh over a Briggs for our go karts and mini bikes. The always seemed to have more power/torque than the same rated Briggs. The one down side was the carbs were fairly finicky, but easy to tear apart and clean. I recently picked up a little 1989 Toro 2 stroke snow blower that has a Tecumseh engine. Still fires up and runs just fine. I also have/had a 1992 Craftsman mower with the Tecumseh 3.5hp that still fires up on the first or second pull. I donated that to a single mother my Wife works with because she didn't have one. But that was with the understanding that if she got another one or didn't need it anymore, it was to come back to me. But even after all of this, Tecumseh just fell behind and couldn't keep up. Guess that's why I still mow with a couple 45 and 47 year old Lawn Boys!

L8R,
Matt

If a topic interests you please start a new one. Dredging up a decade old topic helps no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back