Viper remote start systems any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a Viper remote start installed on my Outback for about 5 years now. I"ve been very happy with it. Here is the one I went with.

https://www.viper.com/car/remotestart/product/4816v/viper-value-2-way-remote-start-system

I like the 2-way, so you have an acknowledgement that the engine started. My only complaint about this kit, and all other kits I've looked at, is that only one of the two remotes is two-way. The second is only one-way. If you want to have two, two-way remotes, you have to buy a third remote.

On two occasions, my remote start has stopped working. But both times the dealer was able to fix it quickly, by just reprogramming everything. Of course the Viper lifetime warranty covered the reprogramming.

As far as which dealer to use, ask your neighbors and friends who they have used. Also, look at the dealers listed here. Go into the dealerships and talk to the techs. Find out what connection methods they use. Installation can make all the difference on how reliable the installation is. I personally suspect, that is why I have had to have my system reprogrammed.

https://www.viper.com/wheretobuy/

I think the installer plays into the equation as well. I have a Viper on my 09 Ridgeline and it works well. The fob seems high quality. Just don't use a fly-by-night retailer would be my advice.

Have a 791XV remote start in my 82 trans am since 2006 and nothing but problems with remote range and defective crappy remote

Sometime this year im getting to this upgraded. All the local Audio shops swear by it !!

amazon.com/gp/product/B07HMX118W

Compustar CS7900-AS All-in-One 2-Way Remote Start and Alarm Bundle w/ 3000 feet Range

Dave

Last edited:
I think in the world of alarms and remote starters, there's only a couple of hardware manufacturers out there. All of the brand names that you see all use the same hardware underneath. Look at Viper, Directed Electronics, Compustar, Crimestopper, Cllfford, Python, and so on. Many are owned by the same parent company.

What I've found is the "module" it common across most and what you are paying the difference on is the remotes, believe it or not.

What car is this for ? If you're lucky, you can get a remote starter that uses a T-harness for the connection. This avoids having to cut and splice many, many wires. Not all cars are set up to easily accommodate this though.

I've had long term experience with Viper 2-way systems on two different vehicles.

The first was a past personal vehicle, a 2009 Ford Escape. No issues at all.

The second is my current work vehicle, a 2018 Chev Suburban. In this vehicle, the factory alarm system seems to be fighting the Viper. If I get up in the morning and start the vehicle with the Viper, the factory alarm goes off, and is a complete pain until the vehicle is turned off and re-started. If I disarm the Viper, then start the vehicle with the remote and re-lock the vehicle after it has started, there are no problems.

As others have mentioned, a lot of the issues with remote starters can be traced back to the installation. In the case of the Suburban, it was put in by a Chev dealer 3 hours from where I live, and I haven't been able to afford the downtime to bring it in and have them mess around with it. I might prioritize that differently if I hadn't found a workaround.

Overall, I would recommend a Viper 2-way from a reputable installer. I would suggest having the installer walk you through the functions before leaving their location with it, as this would help catch any installation or programming issues.

I didn't think they (the company) lasted much past the 1990's.
21.gif

i have a compustar 2 way installed on the infiniti for the last 5 years.

No issues what so ever.

Had a viper 2 way system installed on a Lancer around 2008. That remote needed a battery change every month and the range was way shorter.

Viper is by far the leading manufacturer of aftermarket remote start and alarm systems. Directed makes Viper, Autostart, Clifford, AstorStart, Automate, Python, and a few other related brands. Although I don't know for sure, I suspect Directed probably sells more remote start / alarm systems than all others combined.

I installed a 4105V on the Mitsubishi back in January 2017, never had a problem it. Great range, works beautifully.

I've had a viper system installed in our van for at least 6 years. It loses programming randomly but has only been 2 or 3 times and the dealer has been able to reprogram it as I waited. The remote failed once, I programmed it myself when it came in. I had it installed so that I can still operate my lower doors with it. It is a one way system but we love it, more so for hot days but it doesn't hurt in the winter either.

I think, like others are saying, it comes down to the install. I would only have a reputable place install it. Not some cheap tint shop that does radios.

Viper makes a good unit.
However, the most important thing is installation.
If it is not installed properly, it doesn't matter what brand it is.
I have had remote starters on six of the automobiles that I have owned over the years.
All have been Audiovox units
The only issue that I have had with any of them was once I had to replace a remote battery after twelve years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back