Best Polish for clear coat scratches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKN

Here in Utah you can either leave salt on your car-or go thru a car wash. Ultimately-they cause very light scratches. I have an orbital polisher-but would like a suggestion on the best polish to take the clear coat scratches out.

Is it necessary to clay bar first?

Thanks in advance.

What have you tried thus far?
What type/brand of vehicle, High end or Mainstream vehicle?
I ask because the type of paint could require something special and then, well, IDK!

I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, a good claying followed by a couple of coats of your favorite wax, or one that nourishes the paint. This may in fact fill in those fine scratches while polishing out many. And may take a few applications.

Last edited:
The vehicle is a 2018 Silverado. I would call the paint relatively "soft".

What type of "orbital polisher" do you have?

The level of scratch removal is heavily dependent on the choice of pad , along with the choice of polish.

Last edited:
I had great success with Meguairs Ultimate Compound followed up with their Ultimate Polish using a DA polisher or by hand. Both are available everywhere and not very pricey.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
I had great success with Meguairs Ultimate Compound followed up with their Ultimate Polish using a DA polisher or by hand. Both are available everywhere and not very pricey.

Thanks Mike-due to the cost/availability I will try these.

What about Meguiar's cleaner wax? Or, ZAINO AIO?
i have both the liquid and paste of Meguiar's cleaner wax. Both of these do a very good job at removing scratches and swirl marks.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Mike L. V.

Thanks Mike-due to the cost/availability I will try these.

The above are both very good. Last year I used some Turtle Wax Swirl Mark Remover that I was impressed with also. It did a great job. I forget what color your truck is but the lighter colors will be much more forgiving.

If you get rail dust in your area which are the tiny specs of rust dots on the paint then an Iron-X remover is an excellent paint cleaner. Seems to pretty much eliminate the need to clay the paint. This one works great:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q2RJ6KA/ref=twister_B01IWTQ5XQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back