OReily's Synthetic 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I'm sure each of the oils on that list are fine if they meet spec. Question: why would you spend $1.01 more than ST? Used to know what this stuff was but forgot. I'm sure someone will post its source.

Because Supertech is pretty consistently the same price, and is pretty much always gonna be cheaper. The current price of O'Reilly oil is about the same Pennzoil Platinum at WalMart, I'd much rather buy PP at that price.

OReily's, Autozone/STP and Advance/CQ store brand oils are quality products IMO but it's hard to beat Walmart prices. If you buy the store brand oils as part of their specials they usually cost about $4 a quart which to me is a fair price. Walmart's volume and distributing really drives down their Supertech prices. I would use any store brand oil without hesitation.

Omni Specialty Packaging blends the O'Reily's and they like Amalie and Warren Distribution handle most store brand oils. All quality IMO.

They make some very good oil/lubricants. They are located in Shreveport, La. I know a few people that work for them. And, an uncle that's been with them for over 22 years.
smirk.gif

https://www.omnisp.com/

Bingo … I never see a good price on oil at O'R's … maybe Techron etc … but not much else …

Originally Posted by pollymath
Why isn't this oil suggested more as a good value alternative to Supertech? OReily's are common, and its decently priced per quart.

I noticed it pretty high in two lists, one old, one new:

This comparison of 18 oils done rec...fairly decent quantities of detergents.

And this older list, with the oil tested in 2016 and placing 10th.

I'm looking for something to clean up my blow-by ridden sticky ringed Prius, but I don't want to full on Valvoline Premium Blue Restore.

You need an oil that contains POE (polyol ester). The only such oils sold at stores are the FS and ESP varieties (Euro varieties) of Mobil 1, such as M1 FS 0W-40. Perhaps you can order the Red Line High-Performance, which has a lot more POE, but it's expensive. In any case Valvoline Premium Blue Restore has many, many times more POE than any other oil, including the Red Line HP.

O'Reilly oils are similar to Super Tech in quality, which varies greatly with the flavor and batch for both, according to Noack and CCS values published by PQIA. As others said Super Tech is cheap but O'Reilly is not cheap.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
You need an oil that contains POE (polyol ester). The only such oils sold at stores are the FS and ESP varieties (Euro varieties) of Mobil 1, such as M1 FS 0W-40. Perhaps you can order the Red Line High-Performance, which has a lot more POE, but it's expensive. In any case Valvoline Premium Blue Restore has many, many times more POE than any other oil, including the Red Line HP.

No, you don't.
You just don't.
This is verifiably false.
You statement is along the lines of the old saw that a 20-foot ladder must be better than a 15-foot ladder to get out of a 10 foot deep hole.
A statement to the 'need' of POE in an oil is false.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
Gokhan said:

No, you don't.
You just don't.
You statement is along the lines of the old saw that a 20-foot ladder must be better than a 15-foot ladder to get out of a 10 foot deep hole.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Whoosh

Originally Posted by Strjock81
No, you don't.
You just don't.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Whoosh

That's right, "whoosh."

He didn't read the original post. I was telling that you need polyol ester (POE) to free the stuck piston rings, which is what the OP is trying to achieve. Valvoline Premium Blue Restore is made specifically to free the stuck piston rings, and it's made mostly from POE to achieve this. Its additive package is entirely identical to that of the regular synthetic Valvoline Premium Blue. POE can dissolve heavy carbon deposits because of its extremely high solvency. Valvoline Premium Blue Restore is meant for a single OCI over a large maintenance interval only because of its very high POE content.

Originally Posted by Strjock81
No, you don't.
You just don't.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Whoosh

That's right, "whoosh."

He didn't read the original post. I was telling that you need polyol ester (POE) to free the stuck piston rings, which is what the OP is trying to achieve.

Yes, he did.
Because he is me.
Woosh!!!

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by pollymath

I'm looking for something to clean up my blow-by ridden sticky ringed Prius, but I don't want to full on Valvoline Premium Blue Restore.

You need an oil that cleans better than your house-brand idea. POE will help your cause. If you don't have the money to spend on it, then just say it.

Last edited:
A Berryman's B-12 piston soak has been shown to be successful in addressing sticky piston rings.
And it can be had for about $4.
I'd try this before any solution that would run the better part of $80.

Woosh!!!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
How does a non-mechanic office tech soak pistons? It needs to be a real simple answer.

You clean the area around the spark plugs really well and remove them, then your pour B12 Chemtool, Seafoam, or Gumout Multi system tune up, etc... into the hole and leave it soaking, it's adviseable to cover the holes with a lint free towel, then leave them soak how long you desire, then try to remove as much fluid as you can with a turkey baster or a spray bottle top or whatever you have to remove fluids from a confined space, then fire her up to burn off what's left then change the oil.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
How does a non-mechanic office tech soak pistons? It needs to be a real simple answer.

You clean the area around the spark plugs really well and remove them, then your pour B12 Chemtool, Seafoam, or Gumout Multi system tune up, etc... into the hole and leave it soaking, it's adviseable to cover the holes with a lint free towel, then leave them soak how long you desire, then try to remove as much fluid as you can with a turkey baster or a spray bottle top or whatever you have to remove fluids from a confined space, then fire her up to burn off what's left then change the oil.

OK got it.
I've owned my Colorado for 16 years and have never even seen the spark plugs. They are hidden. I assume 5 plugs exist, being my engine is a 3.5 five cylinder. There's a large cover on top of my engine. I'm assuming the plugs are underneath it.

So piston soaks are for mechanical-minded people.

OK got it.
I've owned my Colorado for 16 years and have never even seen the spark plugs. They are hidden. I assume 5 plugs exist, being my engine is a 3.5 five cylinder. There's a large cover on top of my engine. I'm assuming the plugs are underneath it.

So piston soaks are for mechanical-minded people.

Well its a good thing that the OP has a different vehicle than you.
While OP doesn't state what year his Prius is, here's a neat little video showing spark plug removal in less than 5 minutes.
Now, maybe OP is not mechanically inclined. I'm not sure because I didn't see him state one way or the other.
Maybe he could request help or assistance from a friend, neighbor, or family member if he is uncomfortable.

The long and short of it is that a B12 piston soak is very doable and has been shown to be successful at freeing sticky piston rings in many instances. The best part is that it's about $5.

Good luck OP, you can do this!

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

I would use O'Reilys without hesitation. Sure it may be a few dollars more but that's nothing to lose sleep over. It's a quality product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back