Shorter OCI for GDI Engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*One knowledgeable Bob's member once stated : "Hyundai / Kia GDI engines chew up oil like they invented it" ! While I chuckle at the comment - I tend to believe it is true … My Sedona and Elantra in my sig. go with 6K mile OCI's with MUCH better looking oil (i.e. older PFI technology engines) than my newer Sonata GDI engine could ever hope to achieve . **Based on my experiences to date - I will NOT buy another GDI engine vehicle unless it comes with DFI / PFI hybrid fuel injectors and even then , it may not make any difference in the OCI I am safely able to run on a GDI engine (your mileage may vary) .
Originally Posted by rob1715
Thanks ChrisD I read your post and that's what got me thinking about it. Would different oils reflect differently on different engines? Meaning, would QS 5w30 in my 03 Matrix with longer OCI be fine, but in modern GDI engines, not so much? Does GDI chew up oil faster? Is that the consensus, or does anyone have UOA they can post? That's how I'm reading your comment. There seems to be many variables that need to be taken into account. One UOA says the oil is good for 10k miles while another car owner with a different make/model, but exact same oil, says nope, I'm going 4k OCI and that's it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Thanks Satin Silver for the link - that is my recent UOA I recently posted and I will state again that was with 1 qrt. of make up oil added over the 3,800 miles of easy suburban driving 40 minute one drives to work and back with little short tripping or stop & go driving included .

Thank you for posting that UOA Chris. I'm all for longer oci's when appropriate since I don't like to be wasteful. But in this situation a shorter one makes sense.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks ChrisD I read your post and that's what got me thinking about it. Would different oils reflect differently on different engines? Meaning, would QS 5w30 in my 03 Matrix with longer OCI be fine,

I have an 05 Matrix and I wouldn't go much longer than 5k/6 months with that car. Sump capacity is only 4.4 quarts or so. It used to be less, something like 4 quarts but Toyota back spec'd it to include more since they're susceptible to oil consumption. I tried a few longer 10k runs and won't do that again. The uoa reports weren't that great and fuel dilution is possible. Plus you don't want the timing chain to be stretched. Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 would be a good option since that seems to help the timing chain tensioner from leaking per some reports on here.

I have found the PFIGDI combo int the DS4 toyota system produces less carbon/soot visually and anectdotal. Could be that the truck is a mileage warrior but I am considering g 7500 miles OCIs as a regular thing after a lot of 5 k ocis. Last one was 7500 on M1 0w40 and I and about 4100 into an OCI with Havoline pro DS 10w30 amd am thinking of letting that one go to 6-7500 to because I do some easy suburban city street commutes (6 miles at 35-45 back and forth to work) and many 230 miles legs back and forth to my house on some weekends. And one 240 mile heavy trailer (4-5k at 65mph ) towing event so far this OCI. The oil "looks good". The point is this is very design and sump capacity specific.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*One knowledgeable Bob's member once stated : "Hyundai / Kia GDI engines chew up oil like they invented it" ! While I chuckle at the comment - I tend to believe it is true … My Sedona and Elantra in my sig. go with 6K mile OCI's with MUCH better looking oil (i.e. older PFI technology engines) than my newer Sonata GDI engine could ever hope to achieve . **Based on my experiences to date - I will NOT buy another GDI engine vehicle unless it comes with DFI / PFI hybrid fuel injectors and even then , it may not make any difference in the OCI I am safely able to run on a GDI engine (your mileage may vary) .
Thanks ChrisD I read your post and that's what got me thinking about it. Would different oils reflect differently on different engines? Meaning, would QS 5w30 in my 03 Matrix with longer OCI be fine, but in modern GDI engines, not so much? Does GDI chew up oil faster? Is that the consensus, or does anyone have UOA they can post? That's how I'm reading your comment. There seems to be many variables that need to be taken into account. One UOA says the oil is good for 10k miles while another car owner with a different make/model, but exact same oil, says nope, I'm going 4k OCI and that's it.

Last edited:
Can UOA measure soot if you pay extra like TBN/TAN that you have to pay extra?

Is it carbon or suspended carbon? If you run hot prior to uoa, the fuel dilution will? be lower but I assume you can't get rid of soot this way. Seems like oil color may matter after all. No?
Black /dark oil, change it ...

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Can UOA measure soot if you pay extra like TBN/TAN that you have to pay extra?

Is it carbon or suspended carbon? If you run hot prior to uoa, the fuel dilution will? be lower but I assume you can't get rid of soot this way. Seems like oil color may matter after all. No?
Black /dark oil, change it ...

The soot particles are small, (small enough to pass through the filtration system without issue) and usually in suspension.. they are much harder particles and more abrasive than diesel soot, you would need a particle count by size and some good historical information to sort out the soot load. I one is testing as far as I know for gasoline engine soot condemnation levels.

Decent article.. https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/51/soot-oil-engine

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

6b for me right now with 4200 miles on oil but getting to be 6c by faint line...time for an oil change next weekend.

So basically it looks like too much soot will overload the dispersant package.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
That's how dirty black oil shows up on paper...... amber brown?

The dispersant may be be getting overwhelmed before the oil actually oxidizes. The color looks fresh and I was happy go lucky with that ideas and thought what the [censored] let's drop a bit on a business card.well crap, the ring forming shows the dispersant is stressed. But looking at the card now the ring is gone. So perhaps I lack the skills to interpret this.

Last edited:
Informative link @kschachn. I will need to spend some time in there.

@Bryanccfshr, do you need a special paper for this test?
Can I use coffee filter or paper towel? That is if I can find any in stores? lol
bitog hoarders won't run out of oil during covid 19. TP maybe but not oil.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Informative link @kschachn. I will need to spend some time in there.

@Bryanccfshr, do you need a special paper for this test?
Can I use coffee filter or paper towel? That is if I can find any in stores? lol
bitog hoarders won't run out of oil during covid 19. TP maybe but not oil.
grin2.gif

Lol no I didn't follow the proper temperature, time and media protocol..I uses daily a simple business card.

Apparently to get good at this interpretation you have to use the same time temperature and media protocols. And then it is subjective to lighting.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr

Well being dispersed doesn't mean that it isn't still in the mixture. I used to work with surfactants in a previous life, all it means is that the particles are chemically/physically isolated from each other and will not further agglomerate. It doesn't get them out of the material, so they will still show up in a blotter test.

[Linked Image]

6b for me right now with 4200 miles on oil but getting to be 6c by faint line...time for an oil change next weekend.

That looks very clean compared to my girlfriend's 2013 gdi Sonata after 2500 miles. It turns the fresh oil dark as soon as you start it up after an oil change. It's almost black by the end of an oil change especially in winter time.

Don't be distracted by the color it's about the precipitation of the inner ring.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
[Linked Image]

That looks very clean compared to my girlfriend's 2013 gdi Sonata after 2500 miles. It turns the fresh oil dark as soon as you start it up after an oil change. It's almost black by the end of an oil change especially in winter time.

Last edited:
Oil is cheap engines are not. If you don't know how to change your oil than learn to. Will save you a lot of money and you'll have a better piece of mind.

Our '18 ACCENT gets dark not long after oil change . Was surprised by it . Using Pennzoil Patinum 5w-20 that's nearing 3,000 miles . Plan to change around 7,000 miles .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back