2013-2015 Explorer Versus 2013-2015 Traverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Railrust
If your employer asked you to look into the Equinox or Traverse...and you buy one...better start looking for a new employer, because they'll be out of business within a year. Garbage. I'd suggest almost anything else.

I won't be buying the vehicle, employer will.

Not real worried about them going out of business as they've been in business for 40 years and our product line is very sustainable.

Originally Posted by Scooby
I appreciate all the information. They want to stick primarily to Chevrolet because they've got a fleet of Tahoe's, Suburbans, Silverado's and they feel like parts are more readily available and cheaper.

I'm going to try to sway them to expand the possibilities some or I'll just keep the Camry. Unfortunately, I'm wanting to purchase the Camry back (I'll get it real cheap) for my oldest daughters first car.

I'm not sure a 13-15 Traverse with decent miles, good maintenance history, no accidents, etc. can be had for $15k since suv's are so hot right now. Plus Tahoe's and Suburbans are in a completely different league. Kind of like comparing trucks(durable) to cars. Since the Traverse and Equinox are car based.

May just be easiest to ask them about a newer, low mile Camry. A nice one can be easily found for $15k. Then the old one can go to a family member. And years down the road the new one will probably still have a ton of life in it. The company should be receptive to this idea.

Last edited:
With the excellent service the Camry has given I'm surprised the company is looking at other brands but of the two I'd probably pick the Explorer.

I had a 2015 traverse and now drive a 2018 traverse. Happy with both but the 2018 more room and more power. Great gas mileage considering it's size. Nine speed transmission is a much better then the 2015 six speed. No issues with either but I doubt 240k of trouble free miles they are not a 2009 Toyota Camry.

Since it's a company car,I'm guessing the company's paying for it? If so, it'll all come down to what they want to purchase. The only vehicle of that type I even remotely like is a Chevy Tahoe. Imo,the only "suv" type vehicle should have truck like and off road capabilities. Anything else is basically a taller station wagon. You wouldn't believe how many of thee so called "suv's" I've seen get stuck trying to be "utility" and go off road.

Originally Posted by Railrust
If your employer asked you to look into the Equinox or Traverse...and you buy one...better start looking for a new employer, because they'll be out of business within a year. Garbage. I'd suggest almost anything else.

Really? What a foolish statement.

The budget is tight for what you're wanting (in good condition), so you can either keep the budget and spend some more in fewer years for repairs, or spend more now for something with significantly lower than average miles for that age... for example a '14 is now pushing 7 years old, with nat'l avg of 13K mi/yr would make it an avg 91K mi vehicle.

I'd keep in mind exactly what you're going to be doing with it and go try out a few and see the condition of individual specimens and how much wiggle room the seller has on price.

Trying to generalize about average vehicle reliability doesn't work so well when it comes down to a few, used, individual specimens. Have a mechanic check them out and get a list as a bargaining tool. That should get you fair value and whatever budget is saved goes towards repairs.

The only thing that is unworkable is if the seller is unreasonable on the true value, or if you get a vehicle not suited to your needs. A CR-V for example, is not suited to a business need to transport 4 people and cargo. Their good reliability comes from average specimens with nowhere near that workload, and no thought at all should be given to off-road capability if not taken on anything worse than a fire road.

SO, don't narrow down to one make and model yet. Pick based on what's available in the area that's on your short list.

Last edited:
Found you some great deals:

E3E29D62-FA78-43B3-BE9A-07A1E0270072.png

I've rented the GMC Acadia V6 AWD with higher end trim and loved it. It was a wonderful vehicle to live with. It also returned surprisingly good MPG, was very comfortable and plenty powerful.

I've also rented plenty of Explorers. I want to like them, as they look better than the Acadia, but I don't. I could go on about all the things I don't care for with that generation Explorer, but I find that it falls short in so many areas that I simply avoided them.

I agree … we had a top of the line Explorer and my niece has a top of the line Traverse …
My friends have a loaded out Enclave … even nicer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back