2013-2015 Explorer Versus 2013-2015 Traverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
My employer has told me to start looking for a replacement company vehicle. They mentioned either a Chevrolet Equinox and Traverse.

It is replacing a 2009 Camry which has been flawless for 240k miles.

The replacement needs to be an SUV for hauling 2-4 adults at times and equipment/ supplies in the back.

I've read bad things about both vehicles, but need some informed input.

Thanks

The Honda CR-V is a very reliable vehicle. It can easily hold 4 adults, or even 5 with 3 in the back seat if they are not too wide and large. The back trunk area is spacious, and there are many ways to fold the back seat, and even the front passengers seat. Look on YouTube for Honda CR-V seat folding. There are several ways that the seats fold, you have to watch several YouTube videos to see all the ways they can fold. Some call it a magic seat. The things you should be aware of is that the total internal load limit for a Honda CR-V is 850 Lbs. And the towing limit is 1500 Lbs with at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tong, so you also should subtract the tong weight from the internal capacity total. The rear end fluid on them should be changed every 15K to 20K miles and the CVT fluid should be changed every 25K to 30K miles.

I searched on the CarFax used vehicle site and found a 2016 with just under 20,000 miles on it, and regular oil and filter changes at the dealer.

If you need more capacity look at the Honda Pilot.

Last edited:
I bought my 2016 CR-V EX on 2/18/2020 and have put about 500 miles on it since then. Initially after driving it for 3 days I noticed that when I was driving on straight roads I often had to hold the steering wheel with a slight amount of left turn into it. I called the dealer on Friday and they scheduled me in for first thing the following Monday. They have a very good alignment machine that measures angles of all 4 tires down to 0.01 degrees. The front wheels were within speck. The back wheels toe angle and thrust angle were just slightly out of speck. They adjusted them back into speck and now the vehicle drives great. An alignment shop without that machine could not have done that job properly.

BTW, I really do like my new to me Honda CR-V and even with all the turns, hills, traffic lights, and stop sighs around the Pittsburgh south hills area it regularly gets 19 to 21 MPG. Not bad for the roads I drive on and the size of it.

Can you afford a TourX?
27.gif

A minivan like the Transit Connect would also be a good choice. Much more room than an SUV and better gas mileage too. There is also the 4-cylinder Sienna

Since you know how good Toyotas are, why not a Highlander or Rav4?
smile.gif

2016 is a good year for a used Honda CR-V. It is the last year for that generation. You can look on Wikipedia for Honda CR-V and see what years each design generation runs. There was still a vibration problem with the 2015 year. They pretty much had that corrected of the 2016 year. I did have the back end vibrate once so far, but it only did it while accelerating lightly between 40 to 45 MPH with the road wet from rain, and only for a short time. Have not had it do it again. The previous owner who drove it for 4 years and 19,700 miles said he never had any problems with it.

The 2016 has a normally asperated (no turbo) 2.4 L direct injected 4 cylinder gas engine. The 2017 and up have 1.5 L turbo charged direct injected 4 cylinder gas engine.

Some people think that you should avoid the first years of any generation of any vehicle regardless of who makes it, or what it is. So you might want to avoid the 2017, 2018, 2019

The 2017 on up get about 1 MPG more on both the city and highway, but the 2016 still gets good MPG's for a mid size SUV.

Last edited:
Why bring up the CRV (especially used) when the poster clearly said his company is offering a choice of a NEW Equinox or Traverse? He is asking about those 2 vehicles in particular - let's stay on track here.

Last edited:
I am not a fan of either vehicle but given the choice, I would probably take the Traverse for the little more room offered, similar fuel economy overall and the newer vehicle platform of the two.

Honda Pilot? Either the redesign (2016+ I think) or earlier should be good. The prior gen looks like body on frame.

I am a fan of Toyota (my wife has a 2016 Highlander). My employer is purchasing the vehicle, so I have little say.

They prefer me to find a Chevrolet Equinox or Traverse, and I was adding the Explorer to the mix just in case it was more reliable.

I'd love to get a 2011-2015 Highlander, but hard to find in that price range.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Get the bigger/more comfortable Traverse.

My niece does real estate and drives a Traverse … pretty roomy and comfortable.

Originally Posted by Scooby
My employer has told me to start looking for a replacement company vehicle. They mentioned either a Chevrolet Equinox and Traverse.

Are you that guy whose employer was complaining about his Camry?
I can't find a link for it right now, but you might have heard about it.

If your employer asked you to look into the Equinox or Traverse...and you buy one...better start looking for a new employer, because they'll be out of business within a year. Garbage. I'd suggest almost anything else.

I'll make it simple...

2013+ Chevy Equinox, Chevy Traverse, Ford Explorer
Max budget $14,000-15,000

The Chevy's had timing chain problems in those years. I would go for the Explorer given those options.

I appreciate all the information. They want to stick primarily to Chevrolet because they've got a fleet of Tahoe's, Suburbans, Silverado's and they feel like parts are more readily available and cheaper.

I'm going to try to sway them to expand the possibilities some or I'll just keep the Camry. Unfortunately, I'm wanting to purchase the Camry back (I'll get it real cheap) for my oldest daughters first car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx

Are you that guy whose employer was complaining about his Camry?
I can't find a link for it right now, but you might have heard about it.

Not me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back