Napa Platinum cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter was in service for 3,000 miles on a 2013 Ford police interceptor sedan. The media was too tough to pull off by hand, I had to use a sawzall to cut the ends off. Over all a well built filter.

20200313_091452.jpg

20200313_091513.jpg

20200313_091556.jpg

20200313_091544.jpg

20200313_091959.jpg

20200313_092005.jpg

20200313_092011.jpg

Thickest media of the filters I have cut open.

20200313_092019.jpg

Last edited:
That is about one of the BEST built oil filters made! I like it even more because of the base end bypass. When the filter goes into bypass mode the oil doesn't flow over the dirty media to get into the engine. IMHO, I think ALL oil filters should be built this way.
thumbsup2.gif
thankyou2.gif

NAPA changed filter suppliers a little while back. Is that the current production filter?
It is impressively built. That media is a really thick synthetic fiber.
Those ribbed orange gloves look well built also. Where did you get those?

Originally Posted by tig1
Where did you get those orange gloves.

$14 a box of 100 at my local napa.

Screenshot_20200313-220922_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
NAPA changed filter suppliers a little while back. Is that the current production filter?
It is impressively built. That media is a really thick synthetic fiber.
Those ribbed orange gloves look well built also. Where did you get those?

It is a current made filter. It was dated 9/28/19. I bought a few to put on police cars whose officers are not the greatest at bringing them in for service. Low and behold, they came in on time this time. I've started using them on vehicles that take the Fl820s size filter as they are wire backed to prevent tearing. I only pick them up on sale though. They are stupidly overpriced.

That looks pretty stout. I don't know all that much about all this, but in comparison to some of the cut open pics I've seen that filter looks relatively righteous
So that the Napa platinum.....full syn meadia? I put a wix wl10290 on my car today. I hope it's constructed the same as that one is although I don't have the xp.
Side note.....the filter I used today was HEAVY and built like a tank. Felt just like the Baldwin B7422 (I think that's the number). The old wix filter i used to use on my commander before I sold it for this ATS I have now didnt feel nearly as bulletproof as this wl10290

Originally Posted by Dd3
That looks pretty stout. I don't know all that much about all this, but in comparison to some of the cut open pics I've seen that filter looks relatively righteous
So that the Napa platinum.....full syn meadia? I put a wix wl10290 on my car today. I hope it's constructed the same as that one is although I don't have the xp.
Side note.....the filter I used today was HEAVY and built like a tank. Felt just like the Baldwin B7422 (I think that's the number). The old wix filter i used to use on my commander before I sold it for this ATS I have now didnt feel nearly as bulletproof as this wl10290

Welcome to BITOG.
What part of Louisiana are you in? Avoyelles Parish here.

Thanks for welcome! Terrebonne parish here is home, recently relocated to Ouachita parish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dd3

NAPA Platinum = WIX XP

Same filters.

Last edited:
I purchased a Platinum to try back when Napa had them on sale for ~$5 last year, installed it on extended family Nissan Rogue. Being run now and it will be at least a 5k mile oci/fci. I expect a similar result to topic. Post use anecdotes here indicate the Plat/XP to be a well made filter. And fwiw, spin on made in the US.

Thanks for c&p.

I thought that the Napa Platinum (and it's Wix XP clone) were not great at filtering and hence not well regarded on this site? I know they are well built and I've used them without concern but I was led to believe that the Fram Ultra....and even the Napa Gold were better at filtering? PS: I'm not trying to be argumentative but I'm just surprised this hasn't come up yet.

Originally Posted by pbm
…... I know they are well built and I've used them without concern …….
In my observation, I think those that use them feel the same without any further explanation required.

That said now that alternative/other broached, many here use OEM filters with either no efficiency rating or ISO tested ~50-60% @ 20um. And those with significate anecdotal miles, apparently satisfied.

Imo, folks that frequent this subforum and don't/won't use them for whatever reason(s), minds likely not going to be changed. Those that do, likely the same.

Originally Posted by pbm
I thought that the Napa Platinum (and it's Wix XP clone) were not great at filtering and hence not well regarded on this site? I know they are well built and I've used them without concern but I was led to believe that the Fram Ultra....and even the Napa Gold were better at filtering? PS: I'm not trying to be argumentative but I'm just surprised this hasn't come up yet.

Well built filters must not always be ones that trap the best. If best trapping was the only requirement in building a top-level filter, then every brand-new vehicle coming out of the factory would be wearing a Fram Ultra-type. .... and we all know these new vehicles today are not dressed in Ultra and it's not about price. Who cares if the new vehiche costs $28,000 or $28,005, to offset the higher cost of Ultra. The person buying the vehicle wouldn't flinch and still would buy the vehicle. So that means the manufacturer prefers something less trapping restrictive for it's new engine nad still maintain quality in that oil filter. We are the same. We all want quality. If we buy lesser quality, it's usually because of money flow concerns.

We have members here that drive auto parts trucks with 442K on the odometer. Original engine still and all it's seen are el-cheapo Pep Boys Proline oil and Proline (basic Purolator) oil filters. Many new engines today desire flow and not be choked by 99/20 oil filter measurements. That's why their such-a-push on this board these days, to follow OEM and buy OEM oil filters, or something very similar to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Many new engines today desire flow and not be choked by 99/20 oil filter measurements. That's why their such-a-push on this board these days, to follow OEM and buy OEM oil filters, or something very similar to it.

99% @ 20u oil filers don't "choke" oil flow - it's another repeated misconception in this forum ever since BITOG was in existance. The positive displacement oil pump ensures that. Besides, the max delta-p difference between a so called "restrictive" filter vs a so called "lower restrictive" filter is only a few PSI of delta-p at the max flow an oil pump can put out on a normal street car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back